Main Menu

83 forks on an 82

Started by Hartless, October 14, 2010, 02:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

is it as easy as i think. remove old forks put new ones on? i want 2 disks up front is swapping to 83 forks the easiest wqy?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

h2olawyer

Works fine.  You can swap just the lowers as well.  If you go with the dual discs, you need to get an 83 master cylinder as well.  You will be pushing more fluid to get the brakes working.

Before you do the swap, I highly recommend replacing the fork seals - even if they aren't leaking - yet.

Good luck with the swap.

How are you healing?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Hartless

thanks. i haven't really decided whether or not im going to... well i mean , i always planned on it , but i don't know how soon. i'm debating whether i should just take everything apart , clean , and repaint, since i wrecked it.......most likely will. is the stopping power a lot better with the 2 disk setup ( im sure it is , but is it enough to be worth it?)

h2olawyer

Biggest improvement is with a braided stainless brake line.  I did the dual disc conversion & brake line(s) at the same time.  First stop was an 'adventure'.  Much better stopping now that I'm used to it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) A Stainless Steel braided brake line on an '82 single disc set up will improve braking substantially... 8)

However, if you have ALL the parts needed to swap out to an '83 dual disc set up, then do so. Its a straight forward job.
You will need:
1 x '83 master cylinder.
1 x set of '83 forks, or at least the 2 '83 fork lowers.
1 x set of '83 rotors. (They are a smaller diameter to the '82's)
1 x set of '83 calipers. (You can use the '82 left side caliper).

I would advise that you change out the OEM brake lines for the S.S. braided lines which improve the overall braking AND change out the steering head bearings to the new tapered head units.

A fork brace, on an '82 or an '83, certainly is a big help, if you can find one  ;)

I also agree with h2o, that you should change the oil/oil seals in the forks before installation...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

I am using my 82 master cylinder. I had both and so it wasn't a case of necessity
I have put about 14000 kms this season with the dual disk setup and 82 master and it works great.
Did some research into it before going with the 82 MC. the piston ratios using dual disk and 82 MC is imho a lot better. there is enough travel in the lever to accomodate the smaller piston MC of the 82
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Hartless

maybe ill just go with the s.s. first , maybe not , depends on whether i tear the bike completely.thanks for the input!

Hartless

tiger, you wouldnt happen to have any of those parts layin around would you? for a price of coarse

Tiger

Quote from: Hartless on October 14, 2010, 05:44:47 PM
tiger, you wouldn't happen to have any of those parts layin around would you? for a price of coarse

:) Sorry bud, I don't at present...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Hartless

jeez raj. youve just been supplyin me parts left and right lol what doi you have

Raj1988

83 front end, 83 brake rotors,83 Master cylinder, 83 risers, 83 footpegs,

i'm turning my bike into a custom so everything that had on her is for sale!!!

I had listed some of these parts with prices in the swap shop.....giver a search...If you are on face book, add me... Suraj Srinivas. i have a vpic of the Vision in front of the rockies as my DP