News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carburetor Joints, Pipes and Jets

Started by motorcyclezen, October 06, 2010, 10:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

Okay, my joints are through and probably the source of my vacuum leaks. Only one of the two is still available new. Anybody out there ever fabricate joints out of some other material? I was thinking maybe aluminum or brass. I figure if I did that, I wouldn't have to worry about dry rot--ever. Seems like it would be easy enough to do, and a really good fix if it works.

I've also been thinking abut pulling off the Macs and running straight pipes. If I do that, I suppose I'll have to re-jet the carbs. Has anyone ever done that? What size jets would I need?

M'zen

Tiger

Quote from: motorcyclezen on October 06, 2010, 10:09:10 AM
Okay, my joints are through and probably the source of my vacuum leaks. Only one of the two is still available new.

:) They are still available as a pair, with gaskets...

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=11718.0

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

motorcyclezen

Cdnlouie

On the straight pipes note...bigger is not necessarily better!  Backpressure is built into the engine design and straight pipes will definitely alter the performance for the worst unless perhaps you are running wide open all the time.

Your perfomance will suffer on the low and midrange for sure, which is really where you spend most of your riding time so you might want to consider that.  Gas mileage will greatly suffer too and the loud, obnoxious noise will keep you from hearing well for the rest of your life, but if you really want to do it then, by all means do it!

Touch the jets and you will heading for a world of hurt!

Try and enjoy the many already good aspects of your vision  ;)

motorcyclezen

I was afraid of that. I though it might run a bit cooler. Someone was saying that Mac still makes pipes for the bike. The Macs I have on there I kind of ill-fitting and merge toward the rear of the bike. Looks like someone might a laid the bike down at one point and the head pipe is a little scraped.

Thanks, Louie!