Successful fork tube pitting repair?

Started by nwrider, October 10, 2010, 12:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwrider

When I rebuilt my forks in May I filed down several pits until they felt smooth, crossed my fingers and went riding.  After less than 3000 miles one of the seals has failed and the other is pretty wet.  I've read about sanding the tubes with steel wool, wet abrasive paper, and a wet stone.  Someone even suggested filing any pits with JB Weld which I thought sounded great.  So...before I tear into the forks again can anyone tell me of their success story?  Also, has anyone replaced these old tubes with tubes from Forking by Frank?
Thanks,
Ben
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

dcsob

Hope you can use this.
I stone them with a fine whetstone, then an Arkansas stone. Both applied gently with some oil. You can feel the raised surface around the pit by the inconsistent drag. Gently, using circular motion until the stone has a nice consistant feel, then buff like a madman with a terry cloth buff,1st red rouge , 2nd white diamond followed by std. chrome polish and ultra fine steel wool, finish off with flitz on a chunk of leather (clean please) then terry cloth. Seems to work fine if you haven't got a set available. Going on 10k no leaks so far. OEM seals (or equiv. at a jobber) not aftermarket cheapo's, haven't had the best of luck with some of them.
If you already went through the hard chrome top layer with the file (shudder) :'( you're kinda hosed. I'm thinking you probably used a light touch to avoid just that problem.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

nwrider

Thanks guys.  I'm encouraged to try again.  Last time I was in a hurry to get the bike on the road...  Now I can take my time and do a proper job of smoothing the fork tubes.  This was my first season riding the Vision, she's a keeper!

Ben
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

Porpoise_of_doom

I've had success in the past replacing fork tubes with tubes from other bikes- there is a massive listing on a US cafe racer forum listing by diameter which I've printed off but I can't find on the net now to paste a link. I managed to replace tubes on my old XL175 with tubes from a Yamaha YZ (?) and had no issues and was planning on doing the same for the vision, as I have a set of Honda XL500 forks which are same dia. Only thing is the XL forks are quite long and will need to be cut professionally as I don't have the gear to ensure a perfectly smooth and fine cut. Has anyone else done this before on a Vision?
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Yamaha LB80, DT80 and YZ80
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
83 XJ750 (my first real love, miss her dearly)
3x Honda XL175 (I want another!)
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC
Yamaha QT50 and Suzuki U70 as a kid

Cdnlouie

I have faced this problem before.  Tried a few different ideas and of course the worst case is when it penetrates the chrome. However, out of desperation (no other tubes) I had a nasty pit on my xvz1200 Venture, I use good quality wet/dry sandpaper to get the pit leveled first (220 grit to start and moving as quickly as possible to 320, 400 and 600).

Keep the area small and stay in the pit area.  It will sand off the chrome (if the pit is too deep) and give you a dimple on your fork tube for sure, but that does not seem to matter as long as the tube is smooth.  When I get the pit eliminated and finish the sanding I also polish the tube with buffing compound (and buffing wheel on drill or buffer) to get a fabulous smooth finish.

So far I have about 10,000 miles on the tube and no leaks.  I was surprised by that outcome as the dimple ended up to be about a 4mm circle on the tube and easily felt, but the smoothness seems to flex through the seal and no harm is done to the seal nor does oil leak out.

That's my worst case experience with a pit and I can say that it has worked out okay  :).

I highly recommend tube protectors or shields (for the lower zone) to keep them safe from this tragic fate.

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Oh, just find some replacement tubes because you're just wasting your time if you try to repair ones that are pitted.  You could even cut some of the proper diameter to length, I suppose.  But something used and usable should be available somewhere.  A set of 35 mm fork tube for a Japanese motorcycle shouldn't be too hard to find.   

Tiger

Quote from: PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ on December 03, 2010, 09:31:56 PM
A set of 35 mm fork tube for a Japanese motorcycle shouldn't be too hard to find.   

:) 35mm fork tubes...suuure, however, the Vision has a trailing axle and that WILL limit your choice!!

I do agree with changing them out, if they are pitted anywere that the seals make contact...Seal life will be reduced even on sanded/polished repairs.

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Question == Is the vision 34mm or 35mm??

or is 34 the ID and the 35 the OD

A tad bit confused since i though it was 34 and the i don have a Vernier caliper and the ruler is well, as accurate as a ruler can be!!

Asking because i want to know what size fork emulators i should get (If and When)
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I'm pretty sure it's 35mm.  Why would the fork care where the axle's located?  Actually, the p/ns for a 1980 XS650's damper rod and fork tube are the same as the 1982 XZ550 Vision (23170 and 23110, respectively), just the model prefixes are different. The chrome on my fork tubes is blistered at the top but is pretty much out of sight.

davexz

I'd find a used set and change out the tubes or the whole shock.  So far you can still find them on ebay and at reasonable price.  Much easier and better in the long run.

Raj1988

+1 @ dave xz

If you want , i have a set of rebuilt  82 forks but shipping may be a bit on the too high side.. if you want, i can send pics.. pm me your email

Raj1988

Ok i definitely dont have the whole fork setup... but i do have an extra set of Chrome fork tubes which are straight. the slider area has no pitting.. should be cheaper to ship than the full set!!

if u are still interested in a fully rebuilt set. ask Tiger!!! you never know what he will have in the secret Vision hideout in a small town in southern ontario.

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on December 05, 2010, 12:12:56 AM
if u are still interested in a fully rebuilt set. ask Tiger!!! you never know what he will have in the secret Vision hideout in a small town in southern Ontario.

;D I have two rebuilt sets of '82 forks ready to 'plug in and play'...so as to speak ;) Stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals and 15w fork oil. One set has the lowers painted Gloss Black, the other set are OEM (aluminum) finish.

8) .......TIGER.......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!