New Years Eve and 60 degrees outside!

Started by YellowJacket!, December 31, 2010, 03:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

OK, so its been below 30 all month here and today, the last day of 2010, its a sunny 60 degree day outside.  That can mean only one thing....time to take YJ for a spin and blow out some winter cobwebs!

Happy NewYear to all!   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Hartless

nice. your lucky! its in the 20s in portland today. i still might go for a spin.(probably not)
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

YellowJacket!

No, Pete is "Lucky".  LOL... couldnt resist that one hartless.

Well, apparently I have once again awakened some hibernating gremlins as is usually the case with a Vision that has sat for more than a few days.  ;-)

One of them decided that they wanted to pee a little green stuff on my driveway.  Apparently I had a few ml of coolant leak out of the weep hole on the front of the water punp.  Its the hole just below the smaller of the two hoses.  It wasn't constant and stopped after a few seconds but enough to garner my attention.  I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it.

So, whats it sound like? Water pump or water pump seal?  Uggggggg.  Will have to wait until I finish school.

On the bright side, YJ has been happily sleeping while attached to a real battery tender and had a full charge of juice so after a few flicks of the wrist, a little finnesse on the enricher she popped to life and started up.  Gotta love her for that.  She's always been an easy starter.  After I let her idle a bit and get the juices flowing through her carbs, I took her out for a little ride.  She did great and when I got back home there was no more coolant leaking.  So I guess I'll just keep an eye on things.

Happy New Year to all!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Raj1988

Let us know what it is. ...ihave some spare mechanical seals I can send your way
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Hartless

yj , i had a similar instance when i first got my v, when  i went to diagnose and fix it there was no leak! no issues since (been a year) hopefully  it will be the same for you!

67GTO

I had the same experience as Hartless, my bike leaked a little and then stopped.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

h2olawyer

High here was a nice, toasty 10F.  It's -8F out there right now.  A bit nippy for a ride.  Besides, the roads are still snow covered from the storm we had a couple days ago.

It's been in the 40s - 50s (F) all December and dry here.  I've thought about riding, but need to do some maintenance to the V before I ride it again.  That long trip last fall took its toll.  Nothing too serious - I think something got into a carb.  Was running great until I got most of the way home.  It now won't idle without dying and has lower power through out the revs.  The way it happened - suddenly & soon after a fuel fill leads me to believe it is carb / fuel related.  The stator grommet is also leaking a little bit.  >:(

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Hartless

Quote from: h2olawyer on January 02, 2011, 02:02:32 AM
High here was a nice, toasty 10F.  It's -8F out there right now.  A bit nippy for a ride.  Besides, the roads are still snow covered from the storm we had a couple days ago.

It's been in the 40s - 50s (F) all December and dry here.  I've thought about riding, but need to do some maintenance to the V before I ride it again.  That long trip last fall took its toll.  Nothing too serious - I think something got into a carb.  Was running great until I got most of the way home.  It now won't idle without dying and has lower power through out the revs.  The way it happened - suddenly & soon after a fuel fill leads me to believe it is carb / fuel related.  The stator grommet is also leaking a little bit.  >:(

H2O
are you running with a YICS? i took mine off because it would start to leak and thats what would happen , it also starts to happen when one of my vacuum caps blows off....

h2olawyer

Been running the YICS since new.  Fixed it well @ 4500 miles (14000 miles ago).  First thing I checked when the problems started again, & it is still good to go.  Thanks for the input, though.  The symptoms aren't quite right from what I've experienced with a leaky YICS.  Can't do anything with it until Spring anyway.  Got lots of stuff to do when the weather warms up.  Valves, oil leak, fork seals, paint, 83 carbs & tank, etc.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Hartless

yup, i figured you know better than i! haha good luck

johnclemens

Hey H20,
If the vent in the gas cap is plugged...
Sometimes right after a fill up the fuel pump can no longer pull the fuel due to vacuum in the tank.
An easy test is, fill it up and ride it till it runs funny. Then pull over and undo the gas cap. if you hear it hiss as you take it off that might be it.
Just re install it and ride away. If it runs fine for a little while and does it again then the cap is plugged.
John