News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Rear View Helmets

Started by Rikugun, December 13, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

My brother told me about this helmet. At first I thought it was just a gimmick but maybe not!

You Tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFla-d1lKA&feature=related

Home page
http://rearview-helmets.com/index.html
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

Thanks for the post Rikugun. I didn't know about it. I checked out the vid and some others like Discovery Science's coverage and definitely a big thumbs up for me. Nice for so many reasons and especially so when sitting in the main lane waiting to turn left and doing the mirror glance to make sure the vehicle behind is slowing or moving around.

Lucky

neat concept, i'd try one...  at $400 U.S. and not (yet) DOT approved there won't be one on my head any time soon.

I also wonder about the 'lazy' factor...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

AdvRich

Quote from: Lucky on December 14, 2010, 06:09:22 AM
neat concept, i'd try one...  at $400 U.S. and not (yet) DOT approved there won't be one on my head any time soon.

I also wonder about the 'lazy' factor...
+1 here too Lucky. Couple of years to let things sort/settle down and create a NA distributorship before I'd move on one. The price hopefully will come down with increased sales volume, but it is a bit high for a fixed FF helmet. Be nice too if there is enough engineering to meet SNELL2010. I like flip helmets and had to accept that they only meet DOT. I've been looking at the latest Shark as a possible new helmet.

Re-Vision

For that kind of money you could install a rearview camera and get pretty much the same benefits depending on where you put the receiver.    BDC

Rikugun

It is pricey but if I was in the market for a new helmet I'd definitely consider it. I think it could be a huge safety feature. How it's utilized is up to the user but it seems to be designed as an addition to your arsenal of safety measures. It's not meant to be a standalone traffic monitoring system. A passive glance will show you more than the statically positioned buzzy mirrors ever could. I get the feeling it's one of those things that when you try it and get used to it, you wonder how you managed without it.

A rear view camera needs to be powered and it's aim would be limited. Plus, when added to the cost of a good helmet it's no bargain. This uses ambient light and sees where it's pointed as you move your head.

I think eventually they will get a DOT rating. They almost have to if they plan on any significant future US sales. I don't know much of the European safety standards but wouldn't be surprised if they meet or exceed the DOT specs - much like the SNELL standards do. I've seen DOT rated helmets that are a joke.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

Quote from: Rikugun on December 14, 2010, 10:41:58 AM
I think eventually they will get a DOT rating. They almost have to if they plan on any significant future US sales. I don't know much of the European safety standards but wouldn't be surprised if they meet or exceed the DOT specs - much like the SNELL standards do. I've seen DOT rated helmets that are a joke.

Same for me with some DOT helmets being a joke. I got on to this site last week doing some helmet research and they have some good info. I too thought the same for the euro vs DOT rating. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/snell-2010-standard.htm

Curious if the mirror ever fogs up and do you have to wipe the back shield as well to remove condensate when dipping in and out of cool hollows and so forth.

Hartless

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 14, 2010, 09:24:48 AM
For that kind of money you could install a rearview camera and get pretty much the same benefits depending on where you put the receiver.    BDC
i feel like it would be pretty eay to install a back up camera on a bike, plus at my local autoshop they are only around 50 bucks. ( i would make it so it works when the bike is turned on though, not when in reverse ;) )
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Re-Vision

Your Bike has reverse? Mount it on your helmet.    BDC

Hartless

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 14, 2010, 02:11:08 PM
Your Bike has reverse? Mount it on your helmet.    BDC
yea.......doesnt yours? ;) ???
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Raj1988

mine does too... There's a small lever behind the plastic piece on the clutch cover (right hand side). All i have to do is turn the lever over to the second hyperdrive setting and before you can say chewbacca, i've got the motor spinning in reverse!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

AdvRich

So that's what that lever does.... Damn and I've been flipping the TCI plug over for all this time to back up........ Riiiiiiight.

treedragon

I tried one on at work yesterday, very well built inside and out and I would certainly consider one next time around, they pass all the stringent checks we have here in NZ and I'm told they are quiet helmets.

The mirror unit is discrete and very similar to a car mirror in many ways. I found it a bit awkward at first although I didn't have time to adjust it to suit me. Simply glance up and it's a very clear view behind, (be ideal for tracking the red and blue flashing dept  :police: ) it's going to be a winner methinks, our race team is going to trial one at the Nelson Port Races in a few weeks time. The helmet is light and strong and for once it's a brand that doesn't come out in gazillion shades of gory graphic.

Rikugun

Quotefor once it's a brand that doesn't come out in gazillion shades of gory graphic.

Call me old school, but amen to that brother....

I also like the shield ratcheting and removal system. It's looks similar to my RF900 that works quite well.

VFan

when I drive home in the evenings, I sometimes need to adjust mirrors to prevent them from reflecting the sun into my eyes, completely blinding me. Is this a risk with this helmet?

Rikugun

Check out the link and read the FAQ's. I think they address some common concern ie glare at night, etc.

YellowJacket!

Someone posted a video a while back about a new "collision avoidance system" that was built into a motorcycle and helmet.  The video is (humerous) proof that things like that just don't work.  I'd rather keep my eyes on the things surrounding me than a display inside my helmet to keep me aware.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rikugun

QuoteI'd rather keep my eyes on the things surrounding me

Me too! That's why I have a spare set of eyes on order. I'll install them in the back of my head and cut holes in my helmet to see through. Wait a minute. That's just silly.....

If I cut holes in my helmet, rain will get in!  :D

Re-Vision

Maybe you could modify the windshield to completely cover your head and then perhaps a couple more tires for stability, but I don't know what you would call a vehicle like that.   BDC