News:

Main Menu

"'82" Carbs

Started by PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ, December 21, 2010, 02:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

When I couldn't get a new cover to replace a cracked one on the accelerator pump, I found an entire set of '82 carbs on eBay for a decent price.  Except that when they arrived, they didn't look like any '82s I'd ever seen and were actually '83s.  So the mechanic and I are going to put the '83s in, since everything we've read here says they're superior.  I bought an '83 airbox too because there's one vacuum line that must go to it, and a new '83 petc*ck :) because it apparently needs one of those too.  This bike should be running soon.  Though I won't be going anywhere in Northern MN anytime soon with it.  I will post pictures.  It's a looker. 

Lucky

83 petcock won't fit an 82 tank.  you'll either need to replace the the tank with an 83, or can try tee'ing the return line back into the supply line (heard that works, haven't tried it) or adding a bulkhead fitting at the top of the tunnel on the underside of the tank for the return.  make SURE it's fuel proof.

You'll also need to replace the upper engine mount plate behind the carbs with an 83 model, or grind yours out for clearance (that's what i did)  It can safely be removed without worrying about the engine shifting for grinding & repainting.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Well, thanks, I guess for telling me I need an '83 tank too.  I'm not going to bother.  This old bike is turning into a major PITA.  I think I should have bought that Moto Guzzi Breva 1100. 

Raj1988

hang in there Pete... it'll all come together
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

you may be able to find someone that is willing to trade your 83 stuff for a decent set of 82 carbs and an airbox.

Don't give up yet.  My bike was a total basket case when I got it and was a mishmash of 82 and 83 parts.  Persistence pays off and it will all come together.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I have all the '82 stuff since the bike's an '82 but I'll still upgrade to '83 specs or near-specs.  I've come this far, I'll see it through.  Everything I've ever read here says the bike's worth the trouble and I believe it.  This is going to be one killer Vision, with its Progressive fork springs, fork emulators, stainless steel brake line, Works Performance monoshock, new electrics, starter, and Spec II pipes.  It was pretty beat up, neglected, and left outside for too long but of course it "ran when parked"! I've restored other similar POS's so I guess I can complete this one.  Thanks, all, for the encouragement.  I am a persistent m*fo.

Raj1988

great stuff.. toss up some pics of your rebuild up...
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I'm not sure why I need the '83 petcock.  We don't see any return line on the '83 carbs anyway.  I'd rather not mess with my nice '82 tank that's received POR-15, had a dent pulled and filled, and been professionally painted.  And we don't see how the carb holder would interfere with the tank. 

Oh, and the '83 airbox I found is missing its flapper.  So I'll install the one from the '82 airbox, though the channel for it on the '83 is shorter than the '82's.

QBS

I have often run my '83 off of a "pony tank" with the return line plugged.  At least in the garage, it didn't exhibit any problems operating that way.  On the road might be different.  The fuel pressure regulator might over power the float needle valves since the open return line represents much less resistance than a blocked line.  Or not.  '82's seem to do OK.