News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Gauges! Lots of Pics

Started by YellowJacket!, June 19, 2007, 05:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quite a undertaking, it looks good. Would there be room to drop the unit down to a flush mount in the housing?

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on July 05, 2007, 10:17:25 PM
Told you guys they were glass <_<

Yup, they made a distinct glas like klanking sound as the pieces fell to my workshop floor as I plucked them out.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Kevin on July 05, 2007, 10:45:10 PM
Quite a undertaking, it looks good. Would there be room to drop the unit down to a flush mount in the housing?

I actually thought of that and will probably do it over the winter.  The gauge bucket that I have has a mounting point in it for the temp gauge which I will have to grind out.  Otherwise, it should fit.  My plastic fabbing skills leave much to be desired though.
The next thing I have to do is smooth out the edges and round off the corners to follow the lines of the old gauge cluster.

David

Aelwulf

Another one that might be interesting, although rather pricey:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=407603&catId=216&leafCatId=21607

Has everything under the sun, if it would work on a bike as old as the Vision.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

zore

Ouch.  500 bucks.  Dave.  Did you try mounting it with out using your stock gauge cluster?  Maybe bending something out of aluminum sheet?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

inanecathode

I'm planning to discard the stock gauge cluster all together and replace it with a bicycle spedometer (and odometer, and trip meter, and average speed calculator etc etc) and a small cluster of pre-wired leds. Hadn't thought of using the old gauge cluster box but it seems like it just takes up space if you're going to replace it anyway.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

I admit to being a little odd.  I actually like the styling of the rectangular headlight & the angular gauges.  They seem to fit the overall styling of the V.  However, I also like Glenn W's round headlight & Buell type fly screen.  That looks great especially from straight on in front.  I may do a siilar project to Dave_TN's gauge change.  I'd definitely try to house it inside the old gauge housing, though.  I have several spare housings (all my spare speedos & tachs are shot, though).  Maybe do the idiot lights in the same housing & either put a blank filler bar in place of the idiot lights or possibly figure out a mount system for some "normal" type handlebars.

Cool project, Dave - keep the photos & descriptions coming!  All that electronic info will be great for when I start taking Tractor to track days!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

I like round gauges.  If i could find a cheap tach with a speedo in it, I'd use that on all my bikes. 

http://www.procycleinc.net/main/vapor.htm  This one has shift lights.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Superfly

Have you tested the Tach yet?  I am really curious about that.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on July 06, 2007, 12:12:27 PM
Ouch.  500 bucks.  Dave.  Did you try mounting it with out using your stock gauge cluster?  Maybe bending something out of aluminum sheet?

I thought about that and may try it too.

Quote from: Superfly on July 06, 2007, 05:51:01 PM

Not yet. Im waiting for the correct spedo cable to get here...sometime next week.
The tach sensor is very interesting and very simple.  There are actually two ways of connecting it.  First, you can connect directly to the sensor wire on the TCI. ans second, you can "wrap" a sensor wire around your front cyl plug wire.

Quote from: zore on July 06, 2007, 04:40:52 PM
I like round gauges.  If i could find a cheap tach with a speedo in it, I'd use that on all my bikes. 

http://www.procycleinc.net/main/vapor.htm  This one has shift lights.

I had given some thought to getting two sets of the 2900 series and using one for a tach and the other for a spedo and combining their features.  Was a bit over the top and more expensive.

David

Tanno

Quote from: Aelwulf on July 06, 2007, 12:01:45 PM
Another one that might be interesting, although rather pricey:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=407603&catId=216&leafCatId=21607

Has everything under the sun, if it would work on a bike as old as the Vision.

If you like that one, it's made by http://www.dakotadigital.com
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Night Vision

Quote from: DaveTN on July 06, 2007, 07:07:00 PM

Quote from: Superfly on July 06, 2007, 05:51:01 PM

Not yet. Im waiting for the correct spedo cable to get here...sometime next week.
The tach sensor is very interesting and very simple.  There are actually two ways of connecting it.  First, you can connect directly to the sensor wire on the TCI. ans second, you can "wrap" a sensor wire around your front cyl plug wire.

don't be surprised if that method doesn't work so well.... give it a try because it sounds like the easy way to do it.... but I think there's something about the wasted spark on the Vision that might give you unexpected results...

I'm not sure, that's why I said try it, but I bought an rpm meter that hooks over the #1 plug wire thinking I could tell exactly where I was adjusting the pilot screws..... it jumped around erratically.....

RPM meter seemed to work ok on the snowblower... no stumble at 4K and blows the snow right back where it came from  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

In the interest of helping out anyone who wants to update their Vision to the newer electronic gauges, I dug through my old notes to find the infor I wrote down about which wires went where.

It was a bit of trial and error and I think the wiring guide on Lucky's CD and website are also very helpful.

This is also based on a 1982 gauge cluster wiring harness.  Apparently there is a bit of difference between the 82 and 83.

Apparently I knew to MYSELF what I was writing down at the time and can't seem to remember what all of my cryptic notes mean so here goes:

Blue/Black: lights x2
green wh/black: odo
green/red, brown, black temp sensor
brown, orange black, black yell stripe: tach
green/black: R turn sig
green/dk brown L turn sig

Idiot Lights
Brown/teal: neutral indicator
black/yellow: high beam
black/red brown: oil light

I also looked through my old emails with electrosport for the correct item # for the cable that is a direct fit for the Vision however they did not have any mention of a part number.  The do, however, have a cable that will mount directly to the visions speedo sender hub.

David