News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Carb Cleaning

Started by PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ, February 01, 2011, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I know this topic gets discussed endlessly here because most Visions were neglected and treated like cr^p and therefore have junked up carbs.  The shop that's doing the final work on my '82 just received from another customer a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner.  (It's a V-twin shop and, apparently, all the ethanol in the nation's fuel supply is going to create all sorts of problems for carbureted Harleys, so the owner's expecting a lot of business.)  He put the '83 carbs into a solution of Simple Green for 3 minutes.  Wow, do they look nice!  Ultrasonic cleaners are pricey but if you can get hold of one, it's the best way to go.  I hear the Yamaha carb cleaner is excellent too, and it doesn't harm any rubber or plastic parts.  Some guys report excellent results with Pine-Sol. 

QBS

Rikugun

If you go with Simple Green be sure to thoroughly rinse as it is highly corrosive to aluminum.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Amazon has ultrasonic cleaners for $37!  I don't know if they're any good, but maybe this stuff isn't that bad.