News:

Main Menu

Fuel Line Routing

Started by Kiwi, February 13, 2011, 04:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

So, I'm not really happy with how i have the fuel line from the gas tank to the carbs.   It seems excessively long.  I have a small filter on the line as well.
Could i see some pictures of how you guys are running that fuel line?
Thanks
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Oz Vision

Sure, here's mine. Works fine.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

AdvRich

For my '83 I use a small clear in-line fuel filter that is placed just inside of the black plastic covered metal tab (lower edge just visible between the fuel line clamp and the filter) that the fuel line runs through on it's way to the fuel pump. I chose this location as it gave support to the filter, could see it for inspection, and it doesn't show. Sorry no better pics as the lowers are on. The petcock is directly above where the camera took the pic for reference. Rich

Exterior shot that is very similar to the '82.

Kiwi

I might try that little filter inside the carbs idea. I just have a problem getting the fuel line not to kink when it makes that tight turn.  Are there different types of fuel lines?

Night Vision

I have both of my Visions and my brothers routed similar to Oz Vision's picture

same fuel filter too... I like the billet alu and cleanable element
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

AdvRich

Hi Kiwi,

I did this last May and I can't rightly remember if the fuel line is factory Yammer or a thicker wall automotive line that I used. I do remember it was in good nick though. The Yammer lines are shaped to follow the original path so kinking is not a problem. If no go with factory fuel line, then the thicker wall automotive fuel line should do it. Rich

VFan

AdvRico,
Very clean fuel line setup you have there. I do have one question. In the hot summers months there have been a few times where I almost wasn't able to start my RJ because of vapor lock. With that in mind, I do wonder if placing the filter (where the fuel pools) between the carburetors where there is less circulation from the hot cylinders if there is an increased chance of vapor lock. Opinions?

Thanks,
Kent

Lucky

a well fitting spring around the fuel line at the curve will keep it from collapsing. Similar to AdvRico's YICS lines (also a good palce for them)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Oz Vision

I got this hose from an auto shop, it's a softer compound that the standard hose, but with a very thick wall so no kinking issues. It's clamped really tight at the petcock with a spring clip like the ones on the YICS hose.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

AdvRich

Quote from: VFan on February 15, 2011, 11:49:22 PM
AdvRico,
Very clean fuel line setup you have there. I do have one question. In the hot summers months there have been a few times where I almost wasn't able to start my RJ because of vapor lock. With that in mind, I do wonder if placing the filter (where the fuel pools) between the carburetors where there is less circulation from the hot cylinders if there is an increased chance of vapor lock. Opinions?

Thanks,
Kent

I thought about it prior to installation and decided to see what played out, so far no problems. For consideration I should add, while it gets hot here in Upstate NY (mostly 80's and a couple of weeks or so of 90's) it's mild compared to the heat belt regions. Also, this install may be more of a problem on '82's w/o the slight benefit of fuel recirculation used on the '83's. Rich

AdvRich

Quote from: Lucky on February 15, 2011, 11:51:39 PM
a well fitting spring around the fuel line at the curve will keep it from collapsing. Similar to AdvRico's YICS lines (also a good palce for them)

The PO (Ron) gets credit for the wire wrap mod on the YICS lines as well as the small switch to the left (in the photo) for the radiator fan manual override. I've not had to use the switch, but it's nice to know it is there – and the stabilized YICS lines, well hundreds of thousands of pulses without collapse.

I'll need a similar YICS line fix for the other '83. Any leads for some close fitting springs. I kinda remember they came on some of the bikes back in the 70's?

Lucky

any Ace hardware or good hardware store should have an assortment of springs
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) You can also get filters that have a right angle set up...then you can run a short fuel line from the petcock and the fuel pump, to the filter...  8) They are, generally, a wee bit more expensive... ;)

Hmmm, something like these...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/150cc-Right-Angle-Fuel-Filter-Pack-ATV-scooter-chinese-/320442529538?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item4a9bdcf702

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

The Prophet of Doom

There's 20 filters in that pack.  Anyone feel inclined to buy these and on-sell at a couple of bucks each? 

Kiwi

That is the MOST annoying ebay page...
I'm going to try and find some of those filters locally

Rikugun

I couldn't find the mute button fast enough!!  Yikes!!   ???
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

Quote from: Lucky on February 16, 2011, 05:58:34 PM
any Ace hardware or good hardware store should have an assortment of springs

Yep, that'll do it and a little bit of snip, snip. Thanks.

Some links for 90 degree filters. No music with these though... :(   :laugh:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=CB8F0F5745D5BF89A42D1A52DB9B3F12.westring1?webCatId=16&webTypeId=60&navTitle=Intake/Fuel&navType=type&prodFamilyId=3769&stockId=117166&ref=sho

An assortment to choose from: http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-nylon-in-line-fuel-filters

Rikugun

The Bike Bandit/Amazon units appear to be 3/8" barb whereas the loud obnoxious E-pay ad claims 5/16" for theirs.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

Quote from: Rikugun on February 18, 2011, 05:23:23 PM
The Bike Bandit/Amazon units appear to be 3/8" barb whereas the loud obnoxious E-pay ad claims 5/16" for theirs.

Reposted some 1/4" options in the original post above. Good catch. Rich