News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Secondhand Vision Advice

Started by Glyn Pickering, January 19, 2004, 10:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

Hi,

Have tracked down a 550 Vision which I briefly rode today.  Red 1984 model, twin discs. Would like some advice on wether it would make a safe (or not) buy at the asking price.

The seller wants $500 NZ$, not much but has a few faults..

1. All cases have allen headed (hex) bolts, don't know if this was std or a sign it has been apart.

2. Significant an oil leak from base of sump - makes me think it has been apart? 3 drops in about 10 mins.

3. Ignition key / lock broken and rear light.

4. Generally surface rust and pits on frame, oil pipes, tank one significant ding but looks repairable.

5. Motor sounds crisp and does not smoke on a cold start. Started easily from cold with choke. Drives straight and all gears feel smooth.

6. No scuff marks and doesn't look like it's ever been down the
  road.

7. Rear pipes where they exit the head are badly rusted and repaired, assumed corroded through at some point, prob due to standing outside. Don't know if this was ever a common problem?

8. Front of seat cover torn.

9. It is registered and not stolen (my biggest fear) and owner has all paperwork.

It felt a nice riding position, far less top heavy than a CX - my other possible choice.

The seller needs a reply by the weekend.

Do you think I'd be buying a whole heap of trouble? Or does it sound worth repairing? I'm fairly good in the w/shop, but have no idea how complex the motor / shaft etc is to work on.

I really want to buy it, since it felt so good, but if am willing to wait for a better one if necc.

Regards

Glyn Pickering

Lucky

It sounds like a typical semi neglected Vision (XZ550 to you)
I haven't worked out the $$ conversion, but if $500 is not a lot to you, and you like the ride, and you can do some repairs, then go for it.

The most common thing you will want to check is the charging system, bring a meter & see if it charges 13.5 at 2500 rpm & 14.7 at 3500 rpm. check the R/R connections for melting (it's behind the battery, pull the one screw under the right side cover, move the coolant bottle and TCI black box and you can see the R/R, trace the wires comming out to the connector.)

hopefully they have been replaced & soldered (which could be the leak, that engine side cover can be a challenge to reinstall cleanly)

there is more on this on my site, see the page entitled "new owners checklist" http://www.xz550.com/newbike.html

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Allen bolts are stock. V engines are very robust. My '83 has approximately 88,000 miles on it and the heads have never been removed. It will still red line in 5th gear.  Your prospect probably has never been torn down.  How many miles on the clock?  Several significant (but relativley low cost) weakness will need to be addressed by approximately 27,000 miles.  Oil leak is probably an incorrectly sealed left engine cover.  If so, this would indicate that the alternator stator has been replaced. Resealing where the stator wiring exits the engine can be challanging, but definatly not impossible.  See Luckys' site for suggestions for new V owners. If it starts well and runs strong, its' probably mechanicly sound.  What you call "oil pipes" are probably coolent pipes.  Don't pull on them.  They are held in place by O rings placed in compression.  They only leak when abused.  Study up and ask more questions.  Cheers.