News:

Main Menu

Possible Valve Problem?

Started by YellowJacket!, February 17, 2011, 06:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I may have asked this in the past but I thought I'd bring it up today after noticing something peculiar while YJ was running today.

After dusting off the cobwebs last week I fired YJ up and thanks to the fully charged AGM, she started right up with very little protest.  She ran ok, just a little rough but thats expected after being not run for quite a while.  After she warmed up I took her for a ride.

Well, today was 70 degrees and I decided to take her out again to clear my mind.  Again, she started right up but, while she was idling, she was running a little rough on her rear cylinder.  Since I have the MAC's I can feel the exhaust separately between the front and rear.  The front was giving my fingers a very good and regular "snap".  However, the rear was a bit more irregular and almost felt like it was sucking and pushing.  It was more like a pop-suck than the snap from the front cyl.  This was after letting her warm up for about 15 mins.

She rides fine, does not stall or bog, so I'm a bit puzzled.  Its one of those things that now that I know about it, its gonna nag me.  Y'all think its something I should dig deeper into or just keep an eye on?

She now has about 12k miles on her.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kenny

:police: When was your last Valve adjustment ?  I would do a Compression Check, that will tell you what's happening in th cylinders.
       Riding weather in mid Ontario. WOW ! ;) ;)
                     Cheers   Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Re-Vision

Sell that junker, how much you want for it? I'll put a nice yellow full fairing on it and make it look good.  haha    BDC

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Kenny on February 17, 2011, 07:27:45 PM
     :police: When was your last Valve adjustment ?  I would do a Compression Check, that will tell you what's happening in th cylinders.
       Riding weather in mid Ontario. WOW ! ;) ;)
                     Cheers   Ken S.

Hi Kenny,

No valve adjustment yet.  Just hit around 12,000 miles.  I think I still have a compression test kit.  If not, I'm sure Lucky does.

@re-vision.  How about you just give me that yellow full fairing and we can both be happy.  :-)

David

QBS

Sounds like a partially plugged idle jet.  After all, it had been sitting for awhile.  And you know how much they hate sitting.  Hopefully, you drained the float bowls before the long sit.

Tiger

:) Dave, change the rear spark plug...or at least remove, clean and regap it...reinstall and try again ;)

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

@QBS, Yep, drained the bowls and had run some seafoam through the system before putting her up.  Also started her up a couple times to run fuel through with the cleaner in the tank then drained the bowls.

Heres a bit more:  Starts with enricher on and warms up after a few mins.  Turn enricher off and idle is steady - but above problem with rear cyl.  Turn enricher back on and idles like crap so my assumption is that that is correct behavior once it is warmed up.

@ tiger,  I'll give that a try.  I know I have GOOD plug wires...I got them from you (shameless plug for tigers awesome custom plug wires).  Plugs are only one, maybe two seasons but I will definitely check them.  I may swap out the coil too as I have a spare.

David

Rikugun

Most people would be thrilled their Vision started easily after sitting but you want even exhaust pulses too!!?? Sheesh.  :D   :D

I hope one of the easier fixes cures it but with 12k showing I'd encourage a valve check regardless before the season begins in earnest. I think the manual calls for initial at 3000 miles then every 5k thereafter. Have they ever been checked? I'd suggest trying a carb sync but would rather see you do that after a valve check.  ;D

If available, a leak down test on a warm engine may be more revealing than a compression test.  Good luck.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

Dave, I have both a compression tester and a home made leakdown tester  that i haven't used yet, but i'd bet it's carbs.  both Kittys and specter's bikes are impossibly hard to start, & i'm going to begin with the carbs..

I rode Cafe to work today for the first time since putting the Macs on,  gave that BBQ black paint a good cooking, lol.  they sound like Macs, but i sort of wish this bike had that 'whiney sportbike' sound..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kenny

Dave,
    If you still have the Compression Tool Kit  do a quick check, it'll give you a health check & keep the numbers for future reference.Besides it's a lot easier/ faster than pulling the Carbs & disassembling them.
               ;) Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Coil Coyle

Quote from: YellowJacket! on February 17, 2011, 06:51:05 PM
I may have asked this in the past but I thought I'd bring it up today after noticing something peculiar while YJ was running today.

After dusting off the cobwebs last week I fired YJ up and thanks to the fully charged AGM, she started right up with very little protest.  She ran ok, just a little rough but thats expected after being not run for quite a while.  After she warmed up I took her for a ride.

Well, today was 70 degrees and I decided to take her out again to clear my mind.  Again, she started right up but, while she was idling, she was running a little rough on her rear cylinder.  Since I have the MAC's I can feel the exhaust separately between the front and rear.  The front was giving my fingers a very good and regular "snap".  However, the rear was a bit more irregular and almost felt like it was sucking and pushing.  It was more like a pop-suck than the snap from the front cyl.  This was after letting her warm up for about 15 mins.

She rides fine, does not stall or bog, so I'm a bit puzzled.  Its one of those things that now that I know about it, its gonna nag me.  Y'all think its something I should dig deeper into or just keep an eye on?

She now has about 12k miles on her.

David
Dave,
A Vision gives you about 3000 miles of warning before you must check your valves.
:D
Dave,
It's time to check your valves.
:D
And; keep eating the Vitamin D.
;D

If you need shims I'll mail swap with you. Let me know and I'll front the shims USPS.

$0.02
;)
Coil