Exhaust analyser manual wanted

Started by The Prophet of Doom, February 04, 2011, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Just bought one of these.    I don't suppose anyone knows how to use it?

Hartless

idk... but isn't there supposed to be like a metal rod to put in or on the exhaust?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Re-Vision

Could search E-bay and other sources for manual with Brand and Model number.    BDC

Lucky

haven't used one in years, but here is what i remember. (this is general. not model specific)

allow the vehicle to warm up.  one fan cycle is sufficent.

turn unit on, allow it a few min to stabilise.  you want to do this away from the vehicle so it's not sucking fumes while sitting there.

zero the unit out.  put the probe in the exhaust and take readings at idle

adjust mixture to factory specs for the vehicle if available.

some models had filter cartridges that needed periodic replacement

Google the model number.  you can find a manual for most things that way.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

I have not seen one of these for ages.  Good memory Lucky.  I can only add that I believe the oil temperature should stay within certain parameters.  Not cold and not too hot.  Bring it up to normal running temp and do a reading there.

I think we used to have probes on a model we used for motorcycles, that fit into the 6mm holes in the stock exhaust pipe not far from the head. This was our high tech experience back in the early 80's.

I saw someone fitting an Oxygen sensor to an older sport bike recently so he could do some exhaust measurements.

Good find Roro!

motoracer8

I have one of those units, It still works after a long warm up period, 2 gas machines have been gone a long time. You can still get filters for them.  Sun used to support their old equipment, Snap on bought Sun a few years ago so that may not be true now.

There is suppose to be a metal probe to go into the exhaust.   If the thing works, set the CO on your Vision to 2 1/2 to 3% at idle, engine warm.

Good luck

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: motoracer8 on February 14, 2011, 08:36:53 PM
I have one of those units, It still works after a long warm up period, 2 gas machines have been gone a long time. You can still get filters for them.  Sun used to support their old equipment, Snap on bought Sun a few years ago so that may not be true now.

There is suppose to be a metal probe to go into the exhaust.   If the thing works, set the CO on your Vision to 2 1/2 to 3% at idle, engine warm.

Good luck

Ken G.
Ken, do you have a manual you could scan or photocopy?  I figured out how to set and use it, but need to know how to calibrate it, and what the implications of various readings are.
There's no probe on mine, but I got good stable readings on my car (Idle:200HC 1%CO - Fast Idle 1600HC 1.5%CO) just by shoving the hose up the tail pipe.  I guess I could just use some aluminium pipe clamped to the end.

jasonm.

you do not need a probe for yamahas. There are ports(plugs) on the OEM exhaust header pipes. With the proper fitting it's easy. I did my Venture at local "Dyno" where he always makes sure the mixtures are proper for quality "mapping". It's amazing how it helps the bike run smoother at any RPM.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules