News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Pull starter without draining oil? (Incl. O-ring information, not shaft-seal)

Started by Tommy, February 19, 2011, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

Looks like I might have damaged the o-ring when reinstalling my rebuilt starter. I have an oil leak between the case and the starter. I read somewhere here in this forum you can pull the starter without draining the oil by leaning the bike on one side. Which side is it, lean to the right I guess? I tried the search function, no results...

Thanks, Thomas
1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tommy

Thanks Raj. Worked just fine. You know where to find those starter o-rings? Will try the local stores on Monday, hopefully they have something that fits.

Thanks, Thomas

Lucky

don't know the size, but they are metric. any oring on this bike will be metric.

this is just one of those problems peculair to the bike.  Specters Vision got a NEW oring & it driped. so it got a new oring & RTV & it still drips.

it's ok though, we'll just park next to Harleys, no one will say a word, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tommy

When I pulled out the starter the 'new' o-ring I used when I installed it was cut... Will be a bit more careful when I put the starter back. A drip a day would not bother me, but half the size of a dollar bill overnight is just too much.

QBS

Greasing up the opening that the "O" ring slides into, as well as the ring itself after it's mounted on the starter, may help inserting the starter without damaging the ring.

Tommy

Found the size: 41mm x 1.78mm (1-5/8 ID 1-3/4 OD 1/16 W). If I can't find it at a dealer I'll order it at allorings.com (they come in 25 per bag ....)

QBS - I'll use a lot of grease next time. The first time I used only very little, or better, too little.

Kenny

Hi Tommy,
Be sure to check the Bore of the engine case for nicks,cracks or damage, or maybe the O ring indentation on the starter had a sharp edge, it won't matter how many "O" rings you install if the problem is elsewere.  ;)
                                 Cheers Ken S.

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

why they couldnt chamfer the mounting hole ill never understand...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tommy

Update: Did not find o-rings 1/16th wide locally, so I tried one 3.1 mm (around 1/8th) wide. Although it looked like a perfect fit, I was not able to push the starter back into the hole. After a while the ring just got sheered in half... Ordered a 25 pack of high quality VITON 1-5/8 x 1/16th o-rings at Grainger. Will keep you guys posted.

Thomas

67GTO

Found this post:

SKF Starter Lip Seal Info by akvision
...  for Seal Info:

I was looking through my "V"  ...
...  have been questions about acquiring starter lip seals. I am fresh out. All I had, ...
... . 563017

spec= CR 20X35X6 HMS 5 RG

SKF Seals phone 1-847-742-7840 Elgin, IL

...  I bought them they were under $2 per seal...it is the shipping that is a killer.

...  diagnosing the BluV....the starter was way ugly...it is amazing it even  ...
s post:
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Tommy

Thanks 67GTO - This discussion is about the o-ring, not the shaft seal. But same experience: Easy to find on the internet, but shipping is 5 times the actual cost. grainger.com ships for free to the local store.

Rikugun

I understand the post is about the o-ring and I don't want to hijack or add confusion but now I'm wondering....

Tommy, was there oil in the stater motor when you disassembled it?

Does the post 67GTO quoted (I don't feel like looking it up!) suggest the seal was replaced once by AKvision? 

If it was replaced once, how long ago (years and/or mile) was that?  Is the integrity of the seal something to check periodically?

Now I wished I'd drilled a weep hole as was suggested by someone here... :(

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tommy

I rebuilt the starter with a (NOS?) kit from eBay, and a high quality shaftseal the previous owner of the bike gave me. The starter has been working great, except for that leak where the starter is mated to the crankcase. I remember the replacement o-ring seemed to be a bit too large, it was probably too old.

Don't think this thread is being hijacked ;) my response to 67GTO was just a clarification, nothing else. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting here.

Thanks, Thomas

Night Vision

I've used the eBay starter kits and orings and haven't had any problems....

sourcing the oring for the nose is a bitch...

if you do source some that work, buy plenty of them..... I'd buy 3 or 5 off ya
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tommy

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tommy

OK, picked up the new o-rings today. They are 1.6mm wide; the broken one from the rebuild kit is 1.9mm.... Did go ahead and installed it anyway, will report tomorrow if it is still leaking.

Tommy

Rode the bike last night. As of this morning no oil leaks from the starter nose. Considering this a success. Now I have a leak at the left crankcase cover. I guess I did not seal the cables and grommets properly..... arrggghhh... it never stops!

QBS

Another possible leak source on the left side is the shift shaft seal.