News:

Main Menu

To our Kiwi bretheren

Started by QBS, February 22, 2011, 12:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

I've just heard the news of the earthquake at Christchurch.  I truly hope none of you guys are injured.  My prayers go out to those who are.  Let us hear from you.  Cheers.

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

treedragon

It's bad, really bad.

No way of knowing how Ian and roro might be situated..............

Everything I am seeing here is saying it is waaaaaay worse on the ground than the last one, lot's of people dead and lot's still trapped.
Whole suburbs completely unlivable either through total demolition or flooding, the small river running through town has changed as the ground has risen.
Ground in many areas just liquified with vehicles sinking into the ground, in one of the parks huge oaks just fell over as a result of the ground turning to soup. Many substantial aftershocks. Multistory buildings collapsed. Weakened buildings from the last quake collapsed on top of lunch time shoppers, buses and cars crushed, cathedral collapsed..........

The initial shock was so much in one area someone we know reported they were thrown up against the ceiling before the house collapsed around them. Whole place stinks of sewage, gas............. not good.

Can only hope and trust those we know are ok

fret not

Wow! Only 5 months ago and now again.  I hope it is not as bad as it looks on the news.  So far 65 died.  I hope you all stay well.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Oz Vision

Not sure if Roro is still up in Auckland where he was for a while - hope so.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

AdvRich

Quote from: treedragon on February 22, 2011, 01:35:30 AM
It's bad, really bad.

No way of knowing how Ian and roro might be situated..............

Everything I am seeing here is saying it is waaaaaay worse on the ground than the last one, lot's of people dead and lot's still trapped.
Whole suburbs completely unlivable either through total demolition or flooding, the small river running through town has changed as the ground has risen.
Ground in many areas just liquified with vehicles sinking into the ground, in one of the parks huge oaks just fell over as a result of the ground turning to soup. Many substantial aftershocks. Multistory buildings collapsed. Weakened buildings from the last quake collapsed on top of lunch time shoppers, buses and cars crushed, cathedral collapsed..........

The initial shock was so much in one area someone we know reported they were thrown up against the ceiling before the house collapsed around them. Whole place stinks of sewage, gas............. not good.

Can only hope and trust those we know are ok

Wow that is bad. Been there, great little city. Sorry to hear of the destruction and hope for the best. Rich

iain

Hi guys
The quake was was only 5kms deep and based in Lyttelton Guess where I live...My house is not flash now, I have only just got home as I cant live in it at the moment..But the positive is that the 550 made it through in one piece,when I get a chance I will send through some pictures..this was way worse than the last one..
Iain
NZ

Night Vision

hope this isn't a prelude to 2012...

take care of your loved ones
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Re-Vision

Hope we  hear from all of you Kiwi's and everyone's okay.     BDC

vadasz1

NV's avatar is amazed at Iain's boob jobs.....LOL
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rikugun

NV's avatar is not alone.....  Poor girl is suffering the effects of aftershocks.   :o

All kidding aside, I hope all our kiwi brethren are OK.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

how you guys doing down there? haven't heard much from ya
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

iain

rohan [roro] is still without power and water, my house was red stickered two days ago , so i shouldn't be in here now..what has amazed me is all the search and rescue teams that have arrived from around the world to help our teams find bodies including America,
Iain
NZ

Tiger

Quote from: iain on February 27, 2011, 05:21:24 PM
rohan [roro] is still without power and water, my house was red stickered two days ago , so i shouldn't be in here now..

:) As long as you guys and your families are safe and well, that's the main thing. I think I can 'speak' for all the ROV members and say "our thoughts and prayers are with you all"...

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

AdvRich

Quote from: Tiger on February 27, 2011, 10:05:57 PM
Quote from: iain on February 27, 2011, 05:21:24 PM
rohan [roro] is still without power and water, my house was red stickered two days ago , so i shouldn't be in here now..

:) As long as you guys and your families are safe and well, that's the main thing. I think I can 'speak' for all the ROV members and say "our thoughts and prayers are with you all"...

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
+1  All the best there Mates. Rich

The Prophet of Doom

I moved back to Christchurch just a few weeks ago. 
Just got power back on, but weeks before we will get water or sewage.  10 x worse than the last quake but fortunately Iain and I are OK 

All our glasses are broken so we are drinking wine out of jam jars :-)  All our food has spoiled - though supplies are only a couple of hours drive away.  My house is just a few 100 metres(yards) from a brand new fault line, the epicenter of most of the recent quakes -  the aftershocks are pretty interesting and 8/10 houses in the area are empty now.

I was working just 100metres(yards) from one of the buildings that pancaked, killing 100-odd people - it was quite a frightening sight.  The building I was in has been condemned so I'm out of work again :-(

My vision went over - I have a cracked fairing lower and tail piece, broken indicators and some nasty scrapes -  my hard bags also badly damaged - they were freshly painted and have never seen the road.  The exhaust analyser is broken too.  There's oil everywhere but I haven't inspected for cracked engine covers yet.  My tank was off getting pressure tested so no idea what the status of that is; the place got flooded about a metre high with earthquake silt.

Thanks for the wishes, I'm sure we will come through in the end.

The Prophet of Doom

So after 9 months of earthquake repairs (and $250,000) I'm back in my house tomorrow.
I'm hoping a bit faster bike progress now.

Rikugun

Welcome (back) home!   :)  Hopefully the earthquake gods will be silent for a while.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan