Muffler/Exhaust question

Started by JDArgonaut, April 21, 2011, 11:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDArgonaut

I thought the previous owner had someone weld a crappy weld to hold the muffler to the tail pipe, but found out that it was a WAY crappy weld and the pipe was supporting the exhaust, not the muffler! The weld on the right muffler failed so I decided to take off the whole exhaust and remount it and do some fixing up. I am rebuilding the muffler and also reworking it so that the muffler actually gets supported instead of the pipe!
Can someone please post a good pic of the muffler and how it is supposed to be oriented? I am going to rebuild the muffler with the plans on this site. When I inspected the muffler, I found out I might as well have had just straight pipes!
Thanks!
All in,
JDA

Re-Vision

JDArgonaut

Nice... Evidentally my exhaust has been modified in the past. I will have to post a pic tomorrow. Is that center connector really connected or is it for show? My exhaust is separated, the front side of the motor exhausts on one side of the motorcycle while the back exits out the other! I thought that maybe the picture that I had of an exhaust system was from an '82!

Thanks!
All in,
JDA

Walt_M.

Yes, I would agree your exhaust has been modified. The center connection in the photo is for the rear cylinder on the stocker.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

:) JD, a picture of your Vision's exhaust system would help us to help you buddy...

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

JDArgonaut

Here is a pic of my ride partner, my bike and my exhaust!
Thanks for the help!
BTW I went to a bike shop here in Charleston to see what he might have and the owner told me that someone picked up an exhaust for a Vision at his shop a couple weeks back!

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/tdmurray/?action=view&current=fa4ac65b.jpg&evt=user_media_share

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/tdmurray/?action=view&current=3b0bcc3d.jpg&evt=user_media_share

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/tdmurray/?action=view&current=c5eb4b77.jpg&evt=user_media_share
All in,
JDA

Tiger

:) That my dear Watson is a 'rare as hens teeth' SPEC 2 system.......niiiiiiiice one 8)

8) .......TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

JDArgonaut

Thanks! Well it's going to be a rare Spec II with home made muffler innards  ;D! I am going to end up shortening the exhaust pipes a couple of inches so that I can get the support to the mufflers so that it will last a bit longer. Were they originally designed to be supported by the pipes? The reason I ask is that I can tell that the original owner had done some "weld" repairs to the connection between the muffler and the pipes.
I do like the layout of it. I was a bit worried that I might snap off a bolt when I took off the exhaust to sandblast it, but was pleasantly surprised when they obviously used some form of never seize!
All in,
JDA

YellowJacket!

The epitome of Unobtainium!  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

VFan

Looking at the pic of the exhaust pipe for sales in Germany that Re-Vision posted, I don't see how they would connect to the headers. Are they suppose to be weld replacements for the last section?

VFan

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VFan

Thanks Lucky for the quick reply.  :)

Re-Vision

I believe they were meant to be slip-ins and not welded, but would obviously require a different collector than what we have on our bikes.    BDC

http://cgi.ebay.de/MARVING-Auspuff-silencers-Yamaha-XZ-550-NEW-/380225082017?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item58872e52a1#ht_4299wt_936

Lucky

Those aren't the same. MIVV's are replacement weld ons for stock Vision mufflers.  Marvings are a whole system unto themselves from a different manufacturer..

Re-Vision

On the MIVV's information page it states that they are slip-ins, I was trying to show what type of collector might be used with the Marvings picture as they appear to be slip-ons.    BDC

Tiger

Lucky

There is (or was) a weld on version. years ago, when Tourer was still red & naked, I exchanged a couple of emails with MIVV about them. They were a weld on replacement for the Vision. they have them for other bikes as well.  They may now be clamp on, or might be available both ways, i don't know...

JDArgonaut

All I know is I've been bragging it up all weekend that I have UNOBTAINIUM! I've never had that ever before!
All in,
JDA