Starter nose seal and backer rings

Started by vadasz1, May 06, 2011, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Well this year I was all ready to go but the V wasn't.  The spare gas tank was leaking like a sieve and took about 4 tries before I got all the leaks plugged.  Then I had to get Cdnlouie to synch my carbs, but just the day before I go to him my starter needed a gentle rap of a hammer to get her started.  Got the carbs synched and then the starter wouldn't crank anymore due to the heated engine, so a bumpstart we shall go (Thanks Cecil).  So I take my starter out earlier this week and when I took it apart it was pretty soaked with oil.  Enough to start a lumberjacks breakfast.  So I get out my spare nose seals that had obtained last year and find out that they are the wrong size (36x20x7mm) and they should be 35x20x6mm.  Also I got a set of brushes from Tiger (thanks good buddy, I am so glad that you are only 2 minutes from work).  So I had to goto Toronto to a place called ABLE O-RINGS and purchased a pair of seals from them.  I also inquired about the square rings on the body and was told that they are actually backer rings.  They had those as well.

So all together I spent $12 to get the starter working again.

Here are the parts that I used:

Nose seal - Spec Seals #OS20356TCPN 1 pc  $5 each

backer ring - 8-037N900C  2pcs $0.98 each

Below is a link to their page on backer rings.

http://www.ablesealanddesign.com/category/2/O_Rings/page/98/Back_up_Square_Quad_Rings.aspx
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

hmmm $0.98 ea or $30 for the yamaha flavored ones.....

maybe someone who lives near Toronto  ::)  could pick me up a dozen so I could bring some back to the states and share them with others....

nice find on the backer rings
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

fret not

Thanks for the link.  They show tiny O rings that do not appear in any of the catalogs I have looked at here in the states.  I had given up looking for the tiny O rings for the carb adjuster screws.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

vadasz1

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

gracias... let me know how much i owe you, and I'll see ya in a couple weeks
;D

Lucky

Nigh Vision, i'm in for 10 rings please
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

OK.  Looks like I'm going to be a dealer here.  :)

Please let me know who wants rings and/or seals and I will order them and p/u on Friday May 20th.  I'll call them this monday to see if they have enough stock and if not how long it will take to get them in.

Tiger

:) Robert,

Please order and pick me up:

2 x Nose seal - Spec Seals #0520356TCPN 1 pc  $5 each

3 x 2pc's, (6 pieces in total) backer ring - 8-037N900C  2pcs $0.98 each

General FYI.....They also carry the 'O' rings for the ends of the chrome coolant pipes ;)

While you are there, you should check out the price of the 'O' ring for the 'petcock to gas tank' seal....(take a petcock and old 'O' ring with you).

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

vadasz1

Tiger if you don't mind PM/e-mail me a list of all the o-ring sizes and seal sizes that are required on a V (if you think you can ;)  ) and I will call/go there on Monday to find out.

Any more takers please post your requests on this thread.  I will check daily until I will go and order the parts.

The Prophet of Doom

I'm in for a set if you would be so kind. 
Are you thinking of assembling a full replacement seal set? I'd be into that

vadasz1

roro: I can do all the seals if you all want me to do it. 
I already installed my starter and used the old o-ring that went on the outside of the nose end as it was in very good condition and actually had no nicks in it at all.

So if some one can measure me the nose o-ring it would be appreciated.

I wonder if Tiger has a spare starter to measure off of?

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on May 07, 2011, 07:29:39 AM
Nigh Vision, i'm in for 10 rings please

I need 4 sets (8 rings) so i was planning on sharing two sets (4 rings)....

maybe orders should be placed with Robert, I'll pick them up, and mail them out stateside when I get back from Tiger's ride
;D

Lucky

Well i have 4 Visions outside now, so that's 8 rings, & I figured a spare set...

Lucky

Quote from: vadasz1 on May 08, 2011, 06:29:29 AM

So if some one can measure me the nose o-ring it would be appreciated.

I wonder if Tiger has a spare starter to measure off of?

you might want to investigate a slightly oversize one also, somehow?
Spectre's has a cronic nose weep, even with a new ring & silicone.

He wasn't a particuraly snotty kid...

Re-Vision

Lucky

no, but his starter does.
i wish i had a laptop in the hospital...

vadasz1

Just called the supplier and they have 300 of the backer rings and 73 of the oil seals.

Any one who wants these or any other sizes let me know ASAP as I have to give a credit card number to hold any quantity that they have right now.

vadasz1

Just bumping this thread up to the top to make sure that if anyone wants me to p/u some backer rings and/or oil seals  to please let me know here ASAP as I will be picking them up this Friday May 20th.

vadasz1

I just called Able O-rings and have  6 oil seals and 36 backer rings set aside for me to pick up on Friday.

mdskinner731

im sorry to ask but what size is the o ring and back up ring??? i hapen to work at a hydraulic repair shop here in cny... and have quite the selection of o rings and back up rings (metric and domestic sizes...)
also may i ask why would you want a "viton" oring for the petcock seal??  -viton is for higher temp application-  regular "buna" or "hytrel" orings should do just fine in that application
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law