News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Gasket removal / installation

Started by visionbobber, July 24, 2011, 01:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visionbobber

Spent about an hour scraping the left side crankcase cover gasket off--totally annoying.
Should I have used a gasket remover like permatex?
And for the installation -- should I use a gasket sealer?

How has any of you gone about cleaning all the bits of gasket out of the left side cover?
I've been told use H20 and wait for it to evaporate?  I was also thinking of using air from my compresser?

And when putting the bolts back in, is loctite necessary?  And if so--which kind?

I took the cover off to see if my stator / pick up coils were in tact but after seeing that they were in great working order--I'm kicking myself in the butt for the extra time I've added to this build up!  Thanks for any help!
quitters never win

pullshocks

I just had 2 of the side cover bolts freeze up and the allen head pattern stripped out.  I am going to use anti-seize this time.

QBS

Anti seize, or grease is good.  A new gasket, with grease used for sealent purposes, makes for excellent gasket reuse and future service.  Remember that the screws are hole specific.  Tighten the screws with sensitivity and moderation.  If you have an oil leak, it will probably be where the three stator wires leave the alternator and pass through the seal block.  An excellent sealer should be used in this area.