News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carb Tpiece Plastic Drain

Started by cvincer, May 24, 2011, 04:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

The photo shows a broken plastic 'T' piece (now brown, used to be white), that pushes onto a brass drain

tube, in the front carb.  As you can see it's broken, & the rubber tube coming from the rear carb is just

dangling.  My Yamaha dealers say they have no part number & so can't supply.  I've tried converting a

trickle irrigation 'T' piece, but they come either too big or small .   Anybody know where I can get the

real thing?

Lucky

you have a couple of options. first is to find a smaller 'tee' in the plumbing section (not lawn & garden) or tke the hose to an auto parts store.
second, you could side drill it & epoxy a piece on.
3rd, just run a second, long drain hose from the rear carb to under the bike.
check the local hobby shop too.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

NOt sure if this is what you are looking for but here is what I've done to mine after the same problem.  Both of the tips broke off so I sealed one and drilled out the other and inserted a short length of brass pipe.  Then slid the hose back over it and sealed it with what looks like JB weld.  I then atted a t-connector that I got at a local auto parts store.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

supervision

The only reason they are there is to drain the carbs. I  would probably just live with it broke, and remove the other hose at the other carb, so it wouldn't be noticeable. As long as that screw next to the broken fitting stays tight no gas drains out. If you want to drain it, put a small can there and loosen the screw, that bowl will drain.
" border="0

YellowJacket!

Quote from: supervision on May 28, 2011, 09:00:51 PM
The only reason they are there is to drain the carbs. I  would probably just live with it broke, and remove the other hose at the other carb, so it wouldn't be noticeable. As long as that screw next to the broken fitting stays tight no gas drains out. If you want to drain it, put a small can there and loosen the screw, that bowl will drain.

simple but very good solution.

David

cvincer

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.   I ended up removing the plastic bit, leaving the brass insert.  Bought smaller diameter hose to fit the insert, & inserted a  4mm  (irrigation) T piece ....which still gave a decent seal when connected to the larger diameter pipe from the rear carb.  Lets hope that works for another 29 years!

The Prophet of Doom

I can't be arsed going to the garage to check, but fairly sure these also connect to the float bowl overflows
If you just leave these bare and you get a sticky float valve you will get fuel all over your nice hot engine

I have a melted sidecover that proves that hot engines can ignite leaking fuel

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on May 29, 2011, 02:56:00 AM
I can't be arsed going to the garage to check, but fairly sure these also connect to the float bowl overflows
If you just leave these bare and you get a sticky float valve you will get fuel all over your nice hot engine

I have a melted sidecover that proves that hot engines can ignite leaking fuel

yup, I remember when one of my floats got stuck and the gas was pouring out of the hose.

David

kiawrench

if the drain set up is broken,, best solution is to drill out big part of pipe on BOTH carbs , slide tubing over entire plastic fitting  (2 hoses now) tie hose to frame with zip tie and route along frame to under bike exit point.

to get fancy , route new tube to pen air, join the two tubes with a three way connector , run one single line under bike .  i like first option, i can color code very end of each with a colored zip tie, the i know which carb may be suffering from stuck float , bad seat ,, whatever .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .