News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

got a 82 and it has no spark

Started by visionbobber, May 25, 2011, 07:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

My schematic shows Sb (skyblue) only from neutral switch, B/R (black/red) from Oil Pressure Switch.     BDC

Lucky

make sure the sockets aren't reversed in the idiot display panel...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

visionbobber

idiot display panel?  I've gotten the problem down to the pick up coils....now figuring out how to test them.  everything is working except spark...
quitters never win

Lucky

specs for the pick-ups are in the manual (or maybe on Leathers FAQ page).  it think they need to pass continuity test in a certain range.  as long as you have thm pluged into the TCI & not the stator (& vice versa) it's probably a TCI.  online prices are astonomical, but someone here should have one for...$40 ish...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

visionbobber

I'm not getting power from the pick ups when it's cranking or not cranking...and thats with the 4 plug connector unplugged from the TCI but I am getting 11.6 when it's plugged in...  I opened the back of the TCI unit up today and it doesn't look fried and doesn't smell fried...this bike has been sitting for about 10 years and my wiring is working great so I'm thinking its the pick ups...if it's the TCI unit...then it's the TCI unit...I'm 90 dollars into the bike and my goal is to be less than 500 including a new rear tire and fork seals.  Pick ups should be around 40 I think but the TCI unit I've seen from 80 to 200 dollars...but the parts on the inside are like 25 cents...crazy markup!
quitters never win

kiawrench

v-bob ,, i will look in my shed,, see if there is a tci out there ,, may have one out there that still works .
if i do , will work out something with you  on it .
i will test it out first ,be sure it will fire a bike too .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

supervision

Here is the way to find out if your pick up coils are working.  They are work on the principal of being pluse generators. The only thing you need is a old style volt meter hook to one of the pairs of wires at a time. Set the meter at the lowest setting, like millavolts, crank the motor, as the magnet on the flywheel goes past the pickup coils you will see the needle jump allitle.  Also , I am also almost certain that if you check them with an ohm meter and they are anything but open, they are fine. Test the white and black, then red and black. It would be rare that they are the problem, I haven't heard of any of these owners ever having a failure.
" border="0

visionbobber

KiaWrench -- Thanks!!
I have a bunch of parts on the bike that I won't be using probably--rear headlight assembly, few of the plastics among other things--Let me know if you need/want anything of that sort.  

supervision -- Would I take the crankcase off to test that??  Or would I test on the plug that goes into the TCI box (4 plug connector)  Thanks!
quitters never win

supervision

First unhook the pickup wires before testing, needs to be seperated from the ecm while testing.
" border="0

supervision

every thing together, you need the fly wheel turning around the pickup coils so you can see them make the milivolts just make sure you don't test bb and rw or you will see nothing,  maybe some one messed them up by acdent, who knows?  There's plenty of people who have extra's,  they never fail.  On car distribtrutars they are a common failure but not  on most bikes.  I did have one friend who lost half on his xseleven, it was hard to find cause it would come and go, 4 to 2 clys.
" border="0

Rikugun

QuoteI did have one friend who lost half on his xseleven, it was hard to find cause it would come and go, 4 to 2 clys.

That intermittent problem was more than likely not the pickup coil itself and is common on those bikes. The XS eleven has a centrifugal advance and the pulse generator wire harness moves with the backing plate. A short distance from the ignition cover the wires eventually break within the insulation from cold working. You of course can't see it due to it being covered but if you carefully feel the wires you can sometimes feel the problem area - there will be a bump or disruption of the otherwise smooth wire.

As it's running and you manipulate that area, 2 cylinders will cut in then drop off as a connection is alternately made then broken. Repairing the broken wire would have you riding again. At least until the next wire let go!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

visionbobber

If it's a broken wire, then I'll consider myself lucky for once!  Thanks!  For the crankcase, what kind of gasket would you guys recommend?
quitters never win

QBS

OEM gasket slathered is grease.  Others may recommend RTV, not me.

Using the above referenced technique, if one is careful,  there is a very high probability that the gasket can be reused several times.

visionbobber

My best friend went to MMI and they taught him that small particles or pieces of RTV can break off and clog oil passages in the engine causing problems future problems...It's either 15+ dollars for the OEM gasket or big money / time problems later...but I'm not acclimated enough to make an educated decscion just yet...so keep those opinions coming!  I appreciate them all!  Thanks QBS!
quitters never win

JohnAMcG

I bought a gasket kit on ebay just for that gasket, and guess which gasket it was missing.  The guy copped an attitude with me saying it was sold "As is" and I said sure, but you said it had everything except two valve stems.  All gaskets were listed in the description, except the 2 valve stem seals.  So long story short, he admitted he didnt know much about it and his son had bought the kit when he changed his stator some years ago.  Long story short, I asked him to meet me in the middle and refund shipping, and I would give him good feedback, which we did, and I used "the Right Stuff" gasket maker for my gasket.  I didnt want to wait, and figured it worth a shot.  I tested it out on some old metal parts I had lying around and it seemed good stuff, so I used it, and have had no problems.  The small leak I had is gone, and it sealed up great.  I don't know what it will be like to remove it, but it seemed like it would be easy on my test pieces.  Anyhow, not really a recommendation, but it worked for me.  -JM
-JM

visionbobber

whoa!  I may just go that route.  Ebay can be a total pain, after Ebay gets paid--they really don't care about helping anyone...I may check out that gasket stuff--my father says it can be ok--just don't put too much on!
quitters never win

Raj1988

Ask tiger, he has gaskets for sale
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Hartless

i wouldnt use rtv...and i dont anymore. i recently took off the crank case to change the starter clutch.and found a bunch of rtv pieces in the pan...like Raj said , Tiger sells them dor cheap and they are good. like said before, grease em up good and.theyll last a while
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Walt_M.

I used rtv on mine in 2003 when I put it back on the road. No leaks but I am going back in some time to do the balancer and starter clutch. I used a very thin bead. I will be honest with my findings.
Whale oil beef hooked!

visionbobber

If you used RTV 8 years ago...and you still don't have a leak--I may check that out...But if they have the gasket at the local shop for less than 20 dollars..I may go that route too..  I'm not touching the crankcase cover till I've got a solid few hours to play around with it...been so busy lately! 
quitters never win