carb removal

Started by kev10104, June 01, 2011, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

I am taking my carbs off(not the easiest thing to get them out) and I notice an awful lot of oil around the outside of the carbs.The was a little in the air box as well.This can't be a good thing.Don't worry Cecil I won't mess with the floats.

kiawrench

check the following
look for crimped or kinked breather hoses, make sure all case hoses are good , inside and out ( i replaced all of mine )  most of the time , the oil you speak of is due to air circulation from breather hoses , sometimes can be pin pointed to over full oil levels, bad hoses or worst of the bunch , serious blow by at the rings . if bike is a strong runner, i would not worry with rings , but peace of mind can be had with simple compression test .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

Pretty normal.. it'll make a pretty engine look like crap.  i've been considering doing the catch can thing...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kev10104

Looks like the oil was from my air filter.Must not have drained it enough.Not the first time lol

supervision

On my other engine, I ran a catch tank for a while. Ended up putting back the original hoses to the air box, because I didn't like smelling the blow-by at stops signs. I think it may have been mainly the shape that engine was in.
" border="0