News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Spring Cleaning 2011

Started by YellowJacket!, June 02, 2011, 08:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Got out of class early today and decided to to a bit more work on YJ.  Last week I replaced my stator/RR plug, mounted the RR on the rear frame just behind the battery and it is now running nice and cool.  Voltmeter is showing a range between 14 and 15 volts while I'm riding.  Also replaced the pos and neg battery cables with some custom made ones suplied by Tiger.

Today I did a few more things but one yeilded very surprising and good results.  Not long after I got YJ I also bought a used TCI in case the one I had was bad.  Somewhere along the line I put the ebay one on YJ and stuck the original one in a box and put it away in my workshop.  Anyway, I cleaned up a bit and found the original TCI and decided to give it a try and WOW!  YJ runs much better with the one that was originally on her.
SHe had a very slight miss - which I've mentioned in the past - and I could never really get her to sound like a steady thud thud - thud thud...  Now she is quite regular but not only that, she starts up even easier than before.  Probably has a lot to do with the other stuf I've done, but she's never started THIS easy.
Since I was on a roll, I also cleaned the contacts in my start button - again. 

I also tightened up a few things and changed out the bolts on my backrest which now looks even better.

On the agenda for tomorrow is to tidy up some wiring and a temporary fix for my ailing fuse box.  I've been looking for some replacements but haven't found anything good yet.

Maybe a good ride after that...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Radio Shack sells a 4 position fuse holder that, with a little careful soldering, dremiling & epoxy, can be made to reside in the stock location. you can even reuse the label & the lid fits...

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

That's Penny's fender btw.. so clean!!   :D :D

Raj1988

Time for new pegs and controls!!!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Lucky

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Raj1988 on June 02, 2011, 08:33:00 PM
Time for new pegs and controls!!!

Yessir!  Gotta get you some money BTW.

David

Raj1988

;D

FYI they are a sexy semi gloss black.. you will need to use the old rubber from your existing footpegs
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Raj1988 on June 03, 2011, 10:24:11 AM
;D

FYI they are a sexy semi gloss black.. you will need to use the old rubber from your existing footpegs

Sweet, and the rubber on my footpegs is actually pretty new.  Got a NOS set about a year ago.  Semigloss black will go great with my current color scheme.

David

Lucky

last i checked you could still buy NEW rubbers ft & rear from Yamaha for about $12 ea..

YellowJacket!

Got out and went for a ride to go visit my friend Lucky today.  It was nice getting out for a good ride...oh and seeing Lucky too.   ;D

Most of my trips have been thte three miles back and forth to school so this was a good leg stretching run today.

Got about a mile from home and YJ started running rough at the traffic lights and I had to hold the revs a bit higher to keep her from puttering out.  Wasn't leaking any gas out of the overflows so shouldn't be that and the digital temp gauge was showing around 198 degrees so it shouldn't be that either.  My guess is probably another leaky YICS but I have a sealed spare that I can swap out and see if that fixes it.

Other than that, all went well except for a little front end wobble but Lucky gave me some good tips on that.

It was good seeing you again my friend!   ;D

David

cvincer

Any chance of photos re the re-location of the R&R?  Summer temps here 30 - 40C, so re-location might be a good move for me. Thanks

YellowJacket!

Here's the picture of the RR mounted on the frame just forward of the passenger footpeg.  The bracket was fabricated by ROV member Kevin and fits to one of the trim bolt holes.

Funny thing is I touched my RR after a 30+ mile ride the other day and it wasn't too hot...so much that I could keep my fingers on it.  My dash mounted volt meter has been reading between 14 and 15 volts while I'm riding which is good.  However, I also have my really bright running lights and usualy run my highbeam during the day too.

David

YellowJacket!

Found what I hope will be a perfect ATO/ATC fuse block for YJ.  I ended up going with the 6-way block as the 8 way was a bit large.  They also had a "heavy duty" one that at 2.5" high was cutting it a bit close for seat clearence unless I relocate it somewhere else.

Here's a picture and a link to the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350466781144&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

David

Hartless

let me know how this bad boy works out for you if you could. ive.been needing to do this swap for a while
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

YellowJacket!

Quote from: YellowJacket! on June 03, 2011, 05:53:00 PM

Got about a mile from home and YJ started running rough at the traffic lights and I had to hold the revs a bit higher to keep her from puttering out.  Wasn't leaking any gas out of the overflows so shouldn't be that and the digital temp gauge was showing around 198 degrees so it shouldn't be that either.  My guess is probably another leaky YICS but I have a sealed spare that I can swap out and see if that fixes it.

Rode to school again yesterday and on the way in YJ was fine but on the way home she was not very friendly with her bogging down and idle all over the place sitting at traffic lights.  Nursed her home and the first thing I did was pull my YICS and sure enough it was leaking.  Its the one I sealed up last year with the red RTV so I'll split it apart and reseal it.  Since I have a spare, I'll just slap that one on and put the other in my saddle bag after I re-seal it.

I think I'm going to try something different this time though.  I may drill right through both chambers and stich a bolt through each one, seal it off with rubber washers and see if that holds it tighter.  My guess is that the constant expanding and shrinking is weakening the joints and thats why they start leaking.  I'll post some pictures of it when I'm all done.

As far as the YICS debate goes, YJ runs better with it on.  I've tried plugging the ports and tubes but she runs like crap and is much harder to start.

As for the fusebox, it should be here in the next couple days so I'll do it and the YICS this weekend.  Too much schoolwork right now and final exams coming up.

Back to the shop.

David

Re-Vision

Believe this is the same fusebox, installed it last year and have had no problems. Haven't done much riding though.    BDC

Lucky

the neat thing about blade fuses is, you can use "Smart Fuses" they have LED's in them that light up when the fuse blows, so there is no guessing which one has blown.

I have them in my minivan too because you have to hang upsidedown like a bat to see the fusebox..

YellowJacket!

Finished the fuse box today and was very surprized to find that the wires were pretty corroded and had to cut them back a bit.  OK, I wasn't surprized...  Anyway, I removed the old fusebox and added some female blade connectors and a couple jumpers to add a continuous hot and an extra switched circuit and all worked well after I was all done.  Here's some pictures of the parts and the job.  Next project up is to get my digital tach working right and fix my YICS.

David

vadasz1

Now that is more like it.  I hope you fixed that bare wire end ground connection on the seat lock plate.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: vadasz1 on June 10, 2011, 06:42:18 PM
Now that is more like it.  I hope you fixed that bare wire end ground connection on the seat lock plate.

Yeah, I got to the last wire and messed up my last female blade terminal.  Had to run out and buy a new pack.

Interesting thing is now it seems like my lights are brighter.

David