Carb Running poor no throttel responce

Started by shoetbus, June 07, 2011, 01:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoetbus

Great to be here with all you knowlegable v-owners...
I now this is a very hot topic on these and every one is different. Just bought this Vision 82 only 2300 miles on her. Here is what it does I can get a idol and sync carbs, But after that the idol really hunts 1300-4000 with no throttel responce just dies. I have to twist the wrist slow.
This is what I have done.
1 Cleaned carbs multipe time(soak and guitar strings)
2 Checked every electrical connection front to back
3 cleaned all the wires on the coils
4 New feul lines and in line filter

This bike is completly stock.
I have been pulling my hair out for 10 days now. I have 3 other bikes and this V has a vendetta cape on it for somthing i did in a past life.

Thanks
Eric
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

arthurdent510

A few things to check... is the accelerator pump working?  Are you sure you got every little passage?  How do your jets look?  Try looking for air leaks...  spray the carb boots and other areas around the carbs with starter fluid, listen to see if the rpm's jump.  Have you done a bench sync on the carbs yet?  They could be horribly out of balance as well...  I'm sure some others will chime in with ideas as well, but it's a few to start!

Lucky

temporarily block off or cap the YICS ports (DON'T connect them together) see if that helps.
where are you located?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

shoetbus

I beleive the accel pump to be working it pumps fuel to both carbs well but as I am new to the vision. Is there a better way to check then sight
thanks arthurdent510.

I have tried with the YICS connect and pluged with now difference.

I was thinking it just might be valves but unsure based on millage( I am going to check that tonight)

I live in Mankato Area Minnesota.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

how did you synq the carbs? i'm putting my money on that...

shoetbus

I have a homemade manometer ( you know the one yard stick 12' of line and some 2 cycle oil)
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

something has to be way off.. pilot adjustment maybe (you cleaned them out right?) if it synqed up well, (doesn't sound like it should have though) then i'd start looking for a vacuume leak or worn throttle shaft seals...

shoetbus

that what I think but I ca not for the life of me find it right now I have gone to the local salvage yard and swapped every jet and clean the carbs 7 times in the last 10 days I believe The they are church clean at this point. The spray test give me a little extra rpm's after about a minute.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

it's rare that these jets need to be replaced unless they are really buggered up..

check your float hight.

spray cleaning these carbs just doesn't do it, you gotta DIP EM.
critical areas to clean: (make sure you got them all)

--2 ea #130 pilot air jets (top of carb)
--main jets: #122.5 front #127.5 rear (behind 10mm bolt on left side of carb)
--2 ea #60 pilot fuel jets (bottom of each carb, behind the slotted screw on the bottom of the carb.
--Pilot adjustment screws: located just above the intake mount area on the left side of the carb.  may be behind brass plugs if the plugs have never been removed.
--emultion tubes located in the carb body under the airhorn.  can be a bitch to get out.
-- "low speed curcit fuel oriface" located deep down in the larger of the 2 holes in the 'figure 8' part of the carb body.  one of the brass tubes from the carb top fits into this hole.

shoetbus

After idolling for a couple-10 mins it the rpm start to climb to about 4k then with in 2 mins they will slowly come down. when the rpm's are over 2500 it seems to have better throttle response.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

shoetbus

Lucky,
I have dipped (chem Carb and Parts cleaner) them every time and pulled out every jet and they match what you stated. can someone give me some insight as to the best way to start to set the floats as I have followed the book manual and looked through the forum as well.
The steps I did for the floats are..
top of carb upside down at 20 mm
then float hang it's about 36mm I think as I am not in front of the bike right now.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

Quote from: shoetbus on June 07, 2011, 03:09:44 PMThe steps I did for the floats are..
top of carb upside down at 20 mm
then float hang it's about 36mm I think as I am not in front of the bike right now.

Ahh! There it is! you got it backwards! :D

with the carb top upside down measure 36mm to top (really the bottom in a normal position) of the float at the far tip.

fuel level measured with a clear tube shoulf be 20mm below the gasket surface.

shoetbus

can / could you post a picture of this.
And would float height really give that many problems? I mean I can see this being a problem if it does not get enough fuel. Or running out the over flow tubes if there is to much fuel but poor throttle response ?

I guess I have alot to learn about this bike. Thanks to all I will update later tonight.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

like this:

shoetbus

82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

YellowJacket!

Could possibly be a vacuum leak?

Just a thought.  My money was on the YICS given  that I just had the same problem and it was a leaking YICS.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Dave, my friend, my buddy, just curious, did you read thru all the posts? or just the first one?
:) ???

Walt_M.

Stupid question, is it running on both cylinders?
Whale oil beef hooked!

shoetbus

yes I have spark at both cylinders (via a hand held tach)
The YICS has passed ever test that I have read on the forum (but at this point makes no difference if it is in or out.
Float s are set right at 36 now but on pri I have a fuel leak out of the over flows sometimes
Valves are with in spec too.
I ran out of time to check the port on the carb (pic 8)
I did notice last night heard some ticking (front spark plug has some wild/loose spark arching to the out side of the spark plug boot) I will swap that out tonight.
I hope I am getting closer to running better
Again thanks for all you help..
Eric
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

QuoteI ran out of time to check the port on the carb (pic

what port?

so you reset your floats. if fuel is comming out the overflows, double check your hight (the 36mm one) you might need to drop it a tad 2 mm or so.. not uncommon.

have you restarted it yet? any difference?