Carb Running poor no throttel responce

Started by shoetbus, June 07, 2011, 01:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoetbus

The port that the one brass pick up tube sits in the carb not the tube in the bowl
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Lucky

you got it.  btw, for clarity, it's the one in my pic here, positioned between the float arms.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

shoetbus

Found some more time that work gets in the way...
Upon some more testing took carbs off again pushed throttle and low and behold no fuel out off the front carb. Took completly apart and back in to the tank with all the jets and that strange right angle fuel pipe. Is there anything else I can check once I have it back together and test the fuel supply on the bench. what else do you suggest to try to reach some of these small deep port (right now I use a varity of stainless steel guitar strings)
Eric
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

QBS

The ultimate weapon is an ultrasonic cleaner.  If you don't have one, find a bike shop that does, and buy some time in it.  That's what I did.

fret not

From time to time Harbor Fright has ultrasonic cleaners for pretty reasonable prices.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

the best deal on an ultrasonic i've seen:
2.5 litre for 80 bucks
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

shoe:
that fuel pipe is an acellerator pump nozzle.  it fires when you twist the handle.  the front one gets it's fuel from the rear carb. via that vacuume hose sized line theat connects the 2 carbs on the right side of the carbs.

if the front one is  clogged, VERY CAREFULLY grab the big round part with GOOD vice grips, turn & wiggle it gently up & out. do not bend the l shaped pipe.

be careful, under the nozzle is a tiny check ball & brass weight. they are probably stuck shut.

remove them & clean this area well.  you can clean out the nozzle using the wire from a sewing needle threader (if you don't know what this is, ask)

put it all back together, clean up the nozzle if the vice grips messed it up using a small flat file.

alighn the spray according to the manual & off you go,

--Lucky

shoetbus

I have had this apart and cleaned/soaked the weight and check ball. It is soaking today will put it back together when I get home tonight and see what happens.
I tried to find this what did you call it so machine this is a very neat device ;D

Eric
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

cray9946

I noticed while on the S.C.I. site they have sonic cleaning and carb rebuilding service.  Do you know anything about this service or if anyone has used it.

Lucky

i haven't tried their service, i do all my own repairs. I'd love to get that Harbor Freight unit, i think that size is really good for the price.

*cough* Fathers Day *cough*

Lucky

shoetbus

Its now go fuel out of both GREAT NEWS.. Put some more fuel in got it started now it time to sync. I am wondering about the wire to cut or disconnect from the control box is there a better end to separate/cut. Again to all thanks for all your help.
Eric
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Extent

You mean to disable the rev limiter?  Personally I would (and did :p ) just unscrew it from the back of the tach.  No point in doing a more invasive modification when a simple screw and electrical tape will accomplish the same thing.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

spectre

1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

shoetbus

Tried for a couple hours last night it is better but it still has that dead spot in the throttle but it is better. I do think I need to get some new plug wires still has some jumping spark. maybe I just need to go for a ride for a hour or so try to loosin it all back up for never being rode.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

YellowJacket!

Plug wires are often overloked and should be replaced.  Even though they may look OK, 25+ years of sitting around takes its toll on them.  Replacing them realy made a difference in how my bike starts and runs.

Tiger makes an awesome set of custom wires for the Vision.  Head on over to the swap shop section of the forum and check out his listing.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

shoetbus

Well I am going to get new plug wires and see what happens I will have to wait till the get in. As for the rest I do not think I have every heard wires causing a carb to choke, But I have been wrong many times before. If the bike is cold It will start great but once it get warmed up it really hunts the idle still 1200-3500k The only way I have been able to get it down is to push the throttle down on the carb. Might be a spring for the butterfly? But that still does not help the problem when you crack the throttle wide open it dies.

Eric
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

shoetbus

You are all a fantastic carb guru's.. Finally got it done had to wait for the gas tank to get back to me. After rebuilding the carbs what feel like a couple dozen times all is good now. Here are the steps taken for my problems.

Get a sonic cleaner and start there (work like a charm) after cleaning the and setup/sync for sure 15 times I had enought and bought a sonic cleaner and this was able to get all those spots a e string ( stainless steel guitar) would not get.

Found new carb gaskets set and replaced the throttle cable binding in the sheeting.

Just got off the bike and it runs great.
Let my son take it for his first ride on the vision as I am making him start on the maxim 400 ear to ear grin after the ride on the vision so thanks again for all your help. I hope I can return the favor someday.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r