News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

MOSFET convert...

Started by Tiger, July 07, 2011, 07:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I put a KZ900 RR on in 2002 and it was still working when I stopped riding the bike.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

Quote from: QBS on December 08, 2011, 08:51:54 PM
Pullshocks, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, BTDT.  Check present voltage.  If it's within specs., leave it alone and install a voltmeter instead.  Then, run the stator until the voltmeter says it's time to change it out.  If present output is marginal, change it now.
BEING an electronics technician. I have had a home made voltage indicator since "day one'. It glows green ONLY above 13.5V. So when moving or above 2000rpm it should always glow. I have checked the volt with meter many times. Always been good. The MOSFET is just a more modern and better unit than the old diode type R/R. As the Mosfet is a true 14.3v 99% of the time. So the battery is not overcharged. Where the old type could run up to 14.7. The old R/R system works better with an Extra ground as many have found.  I honestly am not totally sure if the stator is truly running cooler...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

I too have run some sort of voltage indicator since 1999.  First it was an analog voltmeter, then a digital volt meter with a thermostat  and clock function, from Radio shack. that packed up in 2006 and I installed one I purchased on eBay (forget the brand) $35.00, Its still on the bike . My VX800 has a 6 diode automotive  tester , from Auto zone , $6.95. Its hard wired in . The three diodes on the right monitor the battery and the three on the left monitor the charge rate. Don't leave home with out it. They have saved my bacon 4 times.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on July 07, 2011, 07:31:56 AM

This unit has five wires...3 x Yellow (Honda) stator wires, 1 x Red (positive) and 1 x Green (ground/earth). I wired her up, bypassing the 'V' wire harness connections (over by the TCI unit) as per this link... http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=276.0

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)

ok, I asked cndlou this but maybe now, I know the answer.... hook up the three stator wires and then run the red / green from the Mosfet to the battery and not back into the V's wiring harness near the CDI... correct?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

Yes, in addition some use an inline fuse on the red wire to battery positive.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jasonm.

Quote from: Night Vision on March 31, 2012, 03:27:16 PM

This unit has five wires...3 x Yellow (Honda) stator wires, 1 x Red (positive) and 1 x Green (ground/earth). I wired her up, bypassing the 'V' wire harness connections (over by the TCI unit) as per this link... http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=276.0

ok, I asked cndlou this but maybe now, I know the answer.... hook up the three stator wires and then run the red / green from the Mosfet to the battery and not back into the V's wiring harness near the CDI... correct?
I have tried both styles of connections on both my Venture and Vision. On the Vision, I presently have connected my + and neg. to the same spots in the harness the original R/R connected. When measured  voltage at the battery with connections at the harness- The difference in charge voltage vs.connecting to the battery,is less than .2 volts . The difference is the slight resistance in the harness. ANd if you look at a bike that came with a Mosfet..it's connected to the harness , not direct to the battery.  Bottom line , when to the harness, the mosfet is reading the harness voltage and adjusting. In fact my lights are actually brighter(slightly) when MOSFET wired to the harness. ALSO, NO output fuse is needed on the Mosfet. Reason people suggest connecting to the battery directly(+/-)...that's what you are keeping charged. And many do not trust their harnesses to be good. Dead batteries are bad. :laugh:

supervision

I just found out that the mosfet is not as good as the compufire, for keeping you stator cool.
" border="0

Night Vision

Quote from: jasonm. on April 19, 2012, 09:44:35 AM
Quote from: Night Vision on March 31, 2012, 03:27:16 PM

I have tried both styles of connections on both my Venture and Vision. On the Vision, I presently have connected my + and neg. to the same spots in the harness the original R/R connected. When measured  voltage at the battery with connections at the harness- The difference in charge voltage vs.connecting to the battery,is less than .2 volts . The difference is the slight resistance in the harness. ANd if you look at a bike that came with a Mosfet..it's connected to the harness , not direct to the battery.  Bottom line , when to the harness, the mosfet is reading the harness voltage and adjusting. In fact my lights are actually brighter(slightly) when MOSFET wired to the harness. ALSO, NO output fuse is needed on the Mosfet. Reason people suggest connecting to the battery directly(+/-)...that's what you are keeping charged. And many do not trust their harnesses to be good. Dead batteries are bad. :laugh:

I found I had to wire back into the harness also.. I had just two wires going to the battery and I was back to inconsistent charging... I wired the other two back into the wiring harness and with the four wires hooked up, it's been good so far.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

supervision

Anybody realize that the mosfet is still a SHUNT, the Compufire is not??
" border="0

QBS

Supervision, pray tell, what is a "Compufire"?

67GTO

I found this:

http://www.compufire.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=16

From there web site:

About Voltage Regulators

Q: What is the difference between Series Voltage regulator and O.E. style shunt?
A: When there is no demand on the battery the voltage is shunted directly to the ground on the O.E. style. In the Series style the voltage regulator turns the charging system off. Therefore there is no magnetic field between the stator and rotor reducing engine load and heat build up.

(Sounds pretty good.)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

AdvRich

Curious, I don't see mention of rectifier. Are they just calling the normal two in one R/R under just the one name of regulator or do they "harley's" use a separate rectifier down stream to convert ac to dc. It's a good looking apple, just wondering if it is apples to apples in the R and R usual set up.

supervision

QBS, I remember reading about them when they fist invented their R/R. They cater to Harley's mainly, though if you search, many people are using them with good results. They have figured a way of  regulating the A/C current, which means no shunt to ground.  VFR guys, Triumph guys, Aprillia.  I just ran across it yesterday.  They cost close to $200, but if it as smart as they say, it would be worth it.
" border="0

Cdnlouie

Yes Supervision, we had the discussion on RR types some time ago (2010 probably).  Yes the Mosfet is a shunt and the Compufire is a series regulating RR which does offer some clear benefits over the shunt.  No one has spent the bucks yet to try it so the jury is still out here. I am interested in the Compufire, but I am testing the Mosfet currently and currently in no rush to spend $200 plus shipping.

Be the first to give it a whirl!

QBS

Wonder how one turns "off" a stator?

They use the term "alternator" a lot.  This would imply that the output is DC since both auto and bike require DC voltage.  However, this voltage starts out as AC before it is rectified into DC.  Therefore, a rectifier is required.  Nevertheless, no mention is made of a rectifier, only a "regulator".  Given these parameters, one must conclude that they have either decided to include the rectifier function in the term "regulator", or Harley's have free standing rectifiers.  But then, how do the VFR, Triumph, and Aprilia guys referenced by Supervision find joy unless they are adding their own free standing rectifiers.

supervision

Yes we talkiness about Compufire in 2010, I had forgot about them, and just stumpled back onto them, when searching searching Mosfet problems, I found out many people are pleased with the campfire.  They are still a r/r, just regulating before rectiifying, instead of the other way around. Also they save horsepower, and the stator winding runs cooler, under low current needs, of regular riding.  Sounds good to me, and the cost is worth it, IMO.
" border="0

The Prophet of Doom

Rikugun

QuoteWonder how one turns "off" a stator?

One way is to intermittently ground one or more of the stator legs to reduce/control AC output.

QuoteThey use the term "alternator" a lot.  This would imply that the output is DC

Alternators make AC, generators DC. Most modern automotive alternators are internally regulated/rectified such that DC output can charge the battery. Motorcycle alternators generally have a separate, remotely mounted R/R to convert the AC to DC for charging purposes.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

google this: vfr honda campfire series r/r installation: read the threads, pages have wiring diagrams of shunt vrs series
" border="0

jasonm.

Quote from: Cdnlouie on April 21, 2012, 01:37:44 PM
Yes Supervision, we had the discussion on RR types some time ago (2010 probably).  Yes the Mosfet is a shunt and the Compufire is a series regulating RR which does offer some clear benefits over the shunt.  No one has spent the bucks yet to try it so the jury is still out here. I am interested in the Compufire, but I am testing the Mosfet currently and currently in no rush to spend $200 plus shipping.

Be the first to give it a whirl!

" In the Series style the voltage regulator turns the charging system off. Therefore there is no magnetic field between the stator and rotor reducing engine load and heat build up."
FYI- you cannot shut off the field on our charging systems...the flywheel has a permanant magnet. So a Series R/R won't work. :police: