battery doesn't charge!!!!!

Started by lecco, October 28, 2003, 09:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lecco

???
Hi, I am riding this XZ 1982 along the Como lake in Lecco ITALY. i feel as i am the only one around with this bike.
NObody knows anything, please help!!!!
Battery seems doesn't like to be recharged. alternator (bat recharger?) doesn't work properly. Is a spare part avaiable? Is it expensive? starter is also kind of bad(make some noise) so bike run well but start difficolties.  thanks

Rick G

We have had  people from several countries stop by or even join us (Canada, Great Britain, South Africa , Russia,, Germany, New Zealand, Austrlia, Poland to name just a few) but I believe you are first Itialan to join us.
Your alternator stator is no dought defective , and most likly the Rectifier / regulator . In any event you should replace both at the same time  You must also determine if your battery is in very good condition, as this is of prime importance for starting.

Electriex makes both ( their  address is in the links portion of this site) The stator runs 150.00 USD  and the R/R  is 135.00 USD
Your starter  noise may be the starter it self, or the starter drive .
Since you mention a noise, I suspect that its the starter drive  (also called a starter clutch) this can be repaired  fairly easily , if you have a few tools and even moderate mechanical skills. If it turns out to be the starter , it too can be  repaired fairly easily!
Try to describe exactly what the noise is  and where it is and we will try to help you repair you XZ550 RJ
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

admin

Quote???
Hi, I am riding this XZ 1982 along the Como lake in Lecco ITALY. i feel as i am the only one around with this bike.
NObody knows anything, please help!!!!
Battery seems doesn't like to be recharged. alternator (bat recharger?) doesn't work properly. Is a spare part avaiable? Is it expensive? starter is also kind of bad(make some noise) so bike run well but start difficolties. ?thanks

Hello Fellow Italiano ( Salve, Benvenuto!)
 in a few days, you will not be the only person in Italy who owns a Yamaha Vision ?;D
I will be la tourista for 2 weeks...
Where is Lecco ?
anyway, you are in good hands with the people on this board, they know this bike inside and out.

yes, the charging system is annoying and the starter can be
a problem but once you deal with them, this bike rocks!

-Ron