News:

Main Menu

School Update

Started by YellowJacket!, September 15, 2011, 10:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

As many of you may know, I took a leap of faith just over a year ago and quit my well paying job of 25 years in order to go to grad school and become a Physician Assistant.

The journey has been tough but I have perservered and just finished my fourth quarter - my first full year.  This was supposed to be the toughest quarter for everyone, although I thought the first one was as my 44 year old brain was being forced to absorb volumes of information that even the majority of my classmates who are all half my age were strugling with.  But I hung in there and finished very strong this quarter with (20 credit hours!) 4 solid A's and two B's that are just one point shy of an A each - which makes me think that I should have spent the extra 30 minutes studying for just one test instead of hanging out on ROV and I could have earned an A.  But hey, I like you guys and after a few days of not being around, I start jonesing for some ROV diversion.  In any event, since one of my grades is so close (pediatrics) my professor is "reviewing" my work to see if I could possibly have an A.  That would be great becasue I think I worked the hardest in that class in preparation for my grandson.

I was also one of the few to earn an almost umobtanium A in emergency medicine where the majority of the students made their very first C's.  For some of them, that was the first C's of their life.  LOL.

In any event, I have 2 1/2 months left of didactic review and on Dec 12 I will go through a "White Coat" ceremony similar to what doctors go through before they start their residency.  From there, I'll have a few weeks off and then in January I will start my clinical rotations in the various medical disciplines. 

I'm very excited that things have gone by so fast and after a very bumpy start, have turned out so well.  Right now I have almost three weeks off to recover and spend some quality time with my family and YJ.

For those not familiar, a Physician Assistant receives the same training that a medical doctor goes through, except we do it all in two years.  So, basically, I've read the same books, and taken the same exams that a medical student generally takes over four years, except I've done it all in ONE year.  The amazing thing is that I take the same board questions for a lot of my exams and score pretty darn well.  I'm happy.

As for the clinical rotations, many of them will probably be out of state and I should find out sometime in the coming months where I will be assigned so there is a chance I may be near some other Visionary's.  I'll keep y'all updated as I find out more.

So, I'll be hanging around here a bit more over the next two weeks and then back to school.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Congratulations David, and well done!

Tiger

Quote from: Brian Moffet on September 15, 2011, 11:08:58 AM
Congratulations David, and well done!

I concur with my learned colleague... 8)

8) ...... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

WOW Dave, that is really great!!!

Hopefully, I will not meet you in your "new profession" soon!!!