News:

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I bought a vision race bike, while living in OR. seat was modified to accomodate a short legged rider. It ha most of a '83 front end and brakes. a set of Z bars mounted in a custom made  crown.  A custom made exhaust ( loud as hell!) and every bolt on it was safety wired.. I have pics some where. The front end is on my bike , the exhaust is on Blakes bike . I sold the seat to some one . I sent the custom crown to David Arpino,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Now my bottom is just like lucky's...

The Prophet of Doom

Steering Head bearings arrived from Bobby :-) and installed.  I carefully worked out which was the upper and lower, and them put them in the wrong way round.  The tapered bearing shells are thin and a bugger to get out again.  Must have taken about 2 hours.
Forks are re-built with lowers/inners from an XZ400 (same as a US83), progressive springs which are standard on the 16R model 550, painted black, fitted with fork brace and gaiters off an old BSA.  Just need to find some air caps as these ones are rooted all stripped and unsalvageable.

Rikugun

It's looking good! So is that nice red lift - what brand is that?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on March 04, 2012, 09:13:10 AM
It's looking good! So is that nice red lift - what brand is that?

It's a no name brand one from China. 

I was going to make a table out of plywood to this design http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc210/constriktor/bike%20-%20table/work_table01.jpg
when this came up second hand and about the same price or cheaper than the plywood, bolts, wheels etc would have been.
It raises slightly squeakily up to 820mm with a foot pump, and drops with a lever.  It's just a standard large bottle jack in there so easy replacement if it fails.

If you haven't used a bike lift before, then you won't appreciate how amazing they are (generally, not this one in particular).  I can work twice as long on my bikes without getting a stiff back - everything is just so very much easier - even cleaning is more fun.

Rikugun

I can appreciate how nice they are. I bought a very well used foot pump/hydraulic one from a shop that upgraded to pneumatic units. Yours looks similar to a Harbor (China) Freight lift one of my brothers just bought. He had been using a home built table (fixed height) but was difficult to load and unload by himself..  :(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

Quote from: Rikugun on March 05, 2012, 10:47:09 AM
He had been using a home built table (fixed height) but was difficult to load and unload by himself..  :(

a decent electric winch would solve that problem...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

My work table is 1" plywood 18" off the ground, 2' x 7'  top surface. It has 6, 4x4 legs and some 2x4 running around the top and bottom shelf.  when you use a loading ramp to put a vision on the thing, you can grab the front brake to stop hard, the table doesn't even flinch.   The only draw back is the floor space intakes up, so I always keep a bike up their,  also it is a two man job, so I need an assistant to put a larger bike on it.
" border="0

Rikugun

supervision, his table was very similar to what you described. Yes, it is much safer with 2 people especially with his VFR and CBR1000 - both heavier than a V.  He has an electric winch that he sometimes used but attachment points on most bikes requires lots of panel removal. Placement of the table was another issue for the required head room as well. Cycle World magazine had a decent coupon for the HF lift and that was all the excuse he needed.  :)

Raj1988

Awesome project. Are u going to get rearsets?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

supervision

lucky, and rikugun, i have an idea on making it self loading, but i have more than one thing inmind. I have 2x12x8' it is strong piece of wood, if i mak a way to park the vision on it,using tydown straps so the bike is secure from falling just infront of the table, then have a way to pick the front of that board up even with top, insert hinge pin, lift on the back of th board until level. Untie, and roll forward!   
" border="0

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Raj1988 on March 07, 2012, 08:16:40 PM
Awesome project. Are u going to get rearsets?
I have the 83 style pegs to put on it, but with the clipons, I have a feeling I'll need something a bit more extreme.
Raask do a set for the XZ, but they are way out of my price bracket.   Someone on here made "rearsets" by direct mounting pegs to the aluminium bracket by drilling a hole and using a bolt.  I presume extended the other bits with some backyard welding - I'll probably end up doing something like that.
that's down track a bit - I still haven't got a running engine and after treedragons post I may have to invest in some hot cams.  this project is becoming extremely expensive.

Rikugun

Quotethis project is becoming extremely expensive

LOL  That's why I only lasted one season! It was fun though and I don't regret a penny of it.  :)

Lucky

Quote from: roro on March 08, 2012, 06:21:51 PM
  Someone on here made "rearsets" by direct mounting pegs to the aluminium bracket by drilling a hole and using a bolt.  I presume extended the other bits with some backyard welding - I'll probably end up doing something like that.

I did that, i also extended the shifter all the way back, the rear brake i never got moved, but i rarely use it..  it's EXTREEMLY uncomfortable after a couple of hours, or several jaunts, but for racing it may work well....  i'm putting it back to normal this year.  if your interested in buying my setup perhaps, send me a p.m.  no rush it's not going anywhere..

Lucky

Btw, i was looking at the 850's rear caliper set up, & if i could weld & had spare parts, i can see it being adapted to the Vision, & possably even linked to the fronts...  something to think about..

"Vision is the gift to see, What others only dream."

QBS

That sounds like something Ron McCoy could pull off in a heart beat.

supervision

i know your right QB, and he'd woop up a set of forks and exhaust,just caus it was easy!!    Ron Modify,for president!
" border="0

Rikugun

Roro, you started this thread by asking "What would you do to your XZ if you were going racing ?? " I don't think it's been suggested yet but recently it occurred to me : add a GoPro camera!  :)

On another forum I belong to some of the guys race. One in particular has an on-board camera and documents everything - track days, practices, and of course the actual races. Watching his videos has me wishing the technology were available when I raced. Other than some still pics and fading memories  :( there's not much left of the experience all these years later. Not only will you have a great record of the races for posterity, it could be a great training tool too.

Extent

Quote from: roro on March 08, 2012, 06:21:51 PM
Someone on here made "rearsets" by direct mounting pegs to the aluminium bracket by drilling a hole and using a bolt.  I presume extended the other bits with some backyard welding

You don't even need the aluminum bits, you can actually save a nice bit of weight by ditching them entirely and just bending up some hardware store flatstock.  A hammer, a vice, and a buzzbox is all you need, I have Gixxer pegs on my bike, and they're high enough that I wonder if I might have too much ground clearance on them.  Hooking up the brake linkage is a little trickier, but doable.  Mine is really weak, but it gives me stoplight standing power which is all I really need it for.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

Quote from: Extent on March 10, 2012, 04:55:00 AM
You don't even need the aluminum bits, you can actually save a nice bit of weight by ditching them entirely and just bending up some hardware store flatstock.  A hammer, a vice, and a buzzbox is all you need, I have Gixxer pegs on my bike, and they're high enough that I wonder if I might have too much ground clearance on them.  Hooking up the brake linkage is a little trickier, but doable.  Mine is really weak, but it gives me stoplight standing power which is all I really need it for.

Pics por favor?