News:

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

Looking good roro. Like your idea about digital speedo. Bicycle speedos that run off rare earth magnets stuck to wheel and calibrated manually are a pretty cheap option. You could ditch the tach and use a couple of shift lights for even more minimalistic look, just a thought.

What did you do to set up bar clamps, is the top clamp drilled? I like.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Not a bad point.  One seldom needs to know the actual RPM - it's more a blowing up the engine thing and frankly, I have a built in shift light.  Anyone who can sit on a vision at 10,000 RMP+ has more resilient balls than I do.  Still I have a RPM gauge and it looks kinda racey so might as well attach it.  I need a speedo/odo as it's a WOF requirement, but digital will be fine.  I'm making a bracket for it now -  hope the specs are right - it will be nearly flush with the upper triple. Triggering is a proximity sensor - no magnet needed :-)

Yes the top clamp is drilled, and some aftermarket adapters bolted through with some spacers in behind. - I'm not overly keen any more.  It looks a bit trail bikeish and really wide so not so good for lane splitting - I keep finding myself wanting clip-ons.

Any one got any clip-ons for trade?

Rick G

I had mine to  11500 , when I first got it, I didn't;t notice that much vibration , but it tried to jump out from under me when I shifted to 2nd gear!   
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dingleberry

Roro, have you thought about making some clip ons in the lathe/mill? Would be a fairly simple project wouldn't it?
I'm going to have a crack at it on the lathe (no mill unfortunately). Can you recommend a good aluminium (6061 etc) supplier in ChCh that sells small quantities?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Good idea I hadn't thought of that.  Certainly one way of working around clearance issues.   I don't have access to spline broaches etc so that restricts to certain designs, but otherwise I don't see why not.  I'll take a look at designs on the web.

I get all my alloy, copper, brass from LittleMetals http://www.littlemetals.co.nz/
They are fairly expensive , but you only pay for what you carry away and a charge per cut so if you measure well you save the difference by having no wastage.  Most other places only do entire sheets and lengths. 

The Prophet of Doom

No matter what, I can't figure out where to place my Nautilus air horn on a naked version of the bike.  I'll re-assess later on, but in the meantime I disassembled the stock horn, powdercoated and re-assembled, using allen head bolts where the rivets were.  It sounds pathetic and girly.

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on August 20, 2013, 06:31:31 AM
  It sounds pathetic and girly.
Does it sound like a weak stock horn or is it more than that like the adjustment screw needs tweaking?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

A girlish and pathetic sound shouldn't announce your entrance. A trump from an angels horn is more befitting the ProphetOfDoom.           BDC         

Hellgate

Not to be rude but why does a race bike have lights, mirrors, and a horn? Typically stuff is removed and simplified for the track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Pete
Past Yamahas: '73 TX500 - '76 RD400E - '82 Vision - '85 RZ350 - '07 FZ6 Current Yamahas: '05 R6 Track Bike - '06 FZ1

The Prophet of Doom

It sounds like it needs an adjustment screw but hasn't got one (or a fitting for one).  After my Stebel Nautilus dual tone at 139dB, any stock horn will be weak.  I can yell louder than this one.

Hellgate, if you read the posts earlier you will see that this is not intended to be a track only bike.  There is more than one sort of racing :-)

QBS

roro, aquire a 6 vdc Volkswagon horn.  It bolts into the stock location without modification.  When 12 vdc hits it, it will certainly scream.  I did this 20 years ago on my '83 and it still screams.

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on August 20, 2013, 03:08:14 PM
It sounds like it needs an adjustment screw but hasn't got one (or a fitting for one). 
Isn't there a tiny Phillips head screw and lock nut on the back? Also, nothing should lay against the horn or the resonance will be off and the tone will suffer.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hellgate

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on August 20, 2013, 03:08:14 PM
It sounds like it needs an adjustment screw but hasn't got one (or a fitting for one).  After my Stebel Nautilus dual tone at 139dB, any stock horn will be weak.  I can yell louder than this one.

Hellgate, if you read the posts earlier you will see that this is not intended to be a track only bike.  There is more than one sort of racing :-)

Cheers! Thanks brother,  :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Pete
Past Yamahas: '73 TX500 - '76 RD400E - '82 Vision - '85 RZ350 - '07 FZ6 Current Yamahas: '05 R6 Track Bike - '06 FZ1

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on August 20, 2013, 05:03:02 PM
Isn't there a tiny Phillips head screw and lock nut on the back? Also, nothing should lay against the horn or the resonance will be off and the tone will suffer.
Oh - There! Thanks I was looking further round like it is on my other horn.  Seems there is an adjustment screw missing.  That does not negate my need for a loud one in the future.

Re-Vision

I've got one with a rubber bulb on the end and no adjustment screw.    BDC

The Prophet of Doom

I've been obsessing about LEDs since I found the LED headlight a bit too small. 
But what about ANGEL EYES?

And that silver thing... Yes, the engine is in the frame.  Thanks to Iain's helping hands.  I know you can put the engine in on your own, but I wouldn't recommend it on a freshly coated frame.  There is still some engine work do do, but that can be done in the frame.

The Prophet of Doom

My predator exhaust arrived from DaveXZ yesterday, after an excursion through NZ customs where they charged me tax, import levy, tax on the import levy, biosecurity levy and tax on the biosecurity levy.  It's in perfect condition and after a bit of a polish hard to tell from a new one.  I have to say it looks miles better than stock, and about half the weight.

Because it's a 4-2-1, there's no way to use an exhaust gas analyser on the Predators so I've ordered a couple of stainless o2 sensor bungs to be welded in before final fitment.  Only issue seems to be that it seems it will sit right where the axle needs to come out  dropping the exhaust to remove the rear wheel would be an enormous PITA

fret not

POD (Prophet of Doom), what sort of rear shock is that with the yellow spring?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on September 11, 2013, 12:32:30 AM
POD (Prophet of Doom), what sort of rear shock is that with the yellow spring?
It's off a Yamaha R1
Check this thread Pg 6 for juicy details

NITROPOLIS

(POD) I've got the same shock I'm putting on my bike. I noticed you have it mounted with  reservoir down. Any problems ? I have the shock off of a 09 - 11.
slightly different configuration. I was going to mount mine with reservoir up (facing forward) . My concerns were clearance and the spring being strong enough.
I can get a heavier spring. But if I don't need to all the better. Have you rode the bike with that shock? Thanks,