News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

Such a narrow front tire to be mated with such a wide rear tire.   :o
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

It'll start to look like a Harley!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Carbs re-built thanks to a new accelerator pump diaphragm from re-vision.  All the other seals replaced.
I was going to plate the moving parts, but decided they don't look too bad as they are.  I'll worry about that again later if I decide not to use the Weber.

dingleberry

Bloody rough mate....you didn't file the casting marks out  :police:

Looks nice.
You like, oui?

pinholenz

Looks absolutely fabulous. Beautiful job. Must be getting close now.....

Rikugun

As always, very nice work. They almost look too good to put gas in....   8)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Keeping my drilled theme going at the back of the bike, my new brake tension bar arrived from Joker Machine today.  I'd have made one, but don't have a lot of use for a pile of leftover 8mm 6061 plate.  I will have to fab some mounting bolts.

10mm longer than stock(shouldn't cause any issues).  130g vs 315g for the stock bar.

kiwibum

Looks nice.
Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on August 08, 2015, 03:58:30 AM
130g vs 315g for the stock bar.
I'll bet there is a lot of weight that can be lost from the XZ by making these little changes. It would be nice to have a bike that is 20Kg lighter to push round the workshop.

Rikugun

Sexy looking brake stay - wouldn't mind seeing a pic when it's installed too.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

The exhaust hangars are over 1KG each !  As an experiment I drilled some holes and halved the weight. 

fret not

Wow!  That looks really nice.  How crash resistant do you expect it is? ;)

pinholenz

Looking very sharp. What will you coat the ali with to stop it oxidising?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on August 22, 2015, 02:00:32 AMWow!  That looks really nice.  How crash resistant do you expect it is? ;)
Crash resistant?
It's about the last thing that would hit the ground - still, it seems sturdy enough.

I'll be powdering before it goes on the bike, but I've got the other side to do first - that's completely different

Rikugun

Wow, I had to go look at the originals to see what they started as. I see you retained the heel rest feature. I've found them to be useful now and again.

dingleberry

Be careful there O Prophetic One, weight reduction can become dangerously addictive.
You like, oui?

fret not

One could end up drilling holes in holes. :o

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: dingleberry on August 23, 2015, 07:51:45 PM
Be careful there O Prophetic One, weight reduction can become dangerously addictive.
If I was going to get addicted by weight loss, I would have given up pies and lager years ago  :-X

pinholenz

Hi there POD,

I seem to recall that you put Triumph gaitors on your front forks. Is that right? Any issues? Were they the T100/T120 size?

Thanks

The Prophet of Doom

You can see them in my sig.  Not sure about the size, they are a pattern part and were in the bike shop (Budget MC Spares) labelled Triumph/BSA/Norton/cafe racer gaiters.  They were cheapish - about $15 or so.
They fit nicely but only for 2 reasons:
1. I have a Tarozzi fork brace for an RZ350 which has a high dust cap.  The gaiter sits higher than if it was on the fork lower.  It also clips in place over the lip on the fork brace.
2.  I have 40mm of fork pushed through the trippple tree.  Before I did that it came just up to the lower trippple but rode down a bit with use

They would probably fit a regular fork with a little stretching, but you will need to clamp top and bottom.

pinholenz

That's helpful thanks - I'll do some measuring and have a look around. I hadn't realised that you had dropped the front end that much. Looks like I will need something a bit longer. Good price though!

Another day in paradise. First day of spring Yay!