Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

Just visited the local wreckers (took a fork leg with me), had a look through a big box of old gaiters, & found something suitable.

pinholenz

That looks like a good fit. 
At rest, (without any weight on the forks, I reckon I need gaitors at least 180mm/7 inches long.
Your gaitors look longer than that. Have you any idea how long they were?
Thanks
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on August 31, 2015, 05:48:33 PM
That's helpful thanks - I'll do some measuring and have a look around. I hadn't realised that you had dropped the front end that much. Looks like I will need something a bit longer. Good price though!

Another day in paradise. First day of spring Yay!
Sorry, that was with the original clip-ons.  Currently I'm running 22mm push through, but had milled down the upper triple about 5mm, so only 17mm on the lower triple.  Gaiters are 145mm at rest.

cvincer

Sorry  Pin  didn't measure their length before fitting.

pinholenz

Thanks for the measurements. I figure 35mmx55mm x180mm-200mm will give me an optimum length with a standard setup. The closest I have found so far are these, but the lower skirt is not as pretty as those on Cvincers forks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pair-Black-Motorcycle-Fork-Rubber-Gaiters-Boots-Gaitor-Size-240mm-x-35mm-For-CQR/32249130265.html?spm=2114.01020208.0.648.xCRpRp

I guess I'll keep looking!

The Prophet of Doom

3 pics today - all hot off the mill. 

The water pump was a pretty gnarly legacy from the PO.  There was no saving that so I so shaved all the lettering off with about 1.5mm to spare.  Before and after pics.  I'm still mulling over whether to have black side covers or not so did'nt finish this off till I can make up my mind.

Since I was buzzing off letters I took off the YAMAHAHA logo and replaced with one of the Vision badges I got off Ron. 

And some more speed holes.  I am addicted to putting holes in everything.  I am powerless over my addiction.  I believe that a greater power will direct me to where to put speed holes.

pinholenz

Hehe! Love it!

I have another Vision side cover if you need any more name plates - and a donor bike if your water pump suddenly springs a leak. Meantime, did that cancerous clutch cover clean up or do you need another?

Getting close to unveiling - looking good.

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks Pinhole, I think the rest of the bike will be badgeless - that's the plan so far.  I can't think why the water pump would spring a leak, there's a good 1.5mm of material left.  There's no cleaning the clutch cover, but it should PC OK I think.

Not so close - if you look at the badge pic you might notice there is no engine/radiator in there - again!

jefferson

You can make that pump even lighter by removing the stub off the back of the pump that hangs down. It's only there for looks. Another thing would be to get an aluminum brake arm from an older Yamaha motocrosser and then drill holes it it. Mucho lighter.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: jefferson on September 13, 2015, 10:16:37 AM
You can make that pump even lighter by removing the stub off the back of the pump that hangs down. It's only there for looks. Another thing would be to get an aluminum brake arm from an older Yamaha motocrosser and then drill holes it it. Mucho lighter.
Good tip, Thanks.  Do you have have a motorcross model in mind? Hard to get parts here so I'd have to get online somewhere

jefferson

It has been so long I don't remember where or how I got mine. It seems to me that it was an early mono shock Yamaha. I think I took the stock one to a junk yard and started scrounging till I found one that was the right length and fit the splines. I also drilled the barrel that the actuating rod goes through. I think the motocrossers also had aluminum adjusters that I got a couple of.

pinholenz

Damn! I hadn't noticed that. Nice to see all those s/s hex bolts though.
I am just putting my front end together today and I'm non-plussed about which cable guides are for what. The two in question are the guide on the LH triple clamp and the guide(?) on the headlight bracket just near it. Any clues as to which cables go through these? (I should have taken photos, but I dont think the PO had them set up properly in any case.)

The Prophet of Doom

OK, So anyone who can find me an alloy arm that fits will get a prize - I don't think there are any wreckers left down here.

@Pinholenz
The guide on the LH lower triple is for the speedo cable, the curly guide on the RH headlight stay is for the brake line and the throttle cable, though I could never get them to stay in there and just zip tied them.
Detailed cable routing pics on pg224-227 of the (11J) service manual or pg490-494 of the (11U) Service Manual EN,FR,DE

pinholenz

Brill. Thanks for the reference - that will solve a couple of other queries as well.

On the topic of weight, I've always been surprised at how heavy our wheels are.!

jefferson

I would kind of like to machine the center lip off that is there just to hold the wheel weights. Wouldn't be a lot, but every bit helps and it is at the outer edge of the wheel where it would make the most difference. Have to use stick on weights then.

The Prophet of Doom

Yes, a great reason to go alloy rim/spokes.  This is not a well trodden path though.

Wheel mods like machining wouldn't be allowed here - they would need to be certed, and it probably wouldn't get that without a registered engineer signoff.  Same with brakes which is why I've gone back to stock.

The Prophet of Doom

Installed my YICS replacement today.  I was going to use my homemade dual chamber bottle, but then I found these - Twin Malossi Boost bottles.

pinholenz

Streuth! They sure are an improvement on the YIC's plastic chrome affair. Very curious and not a little classy!

The Prophet of Doom

Originally I had put bezels in the headlight for the idiot lights, but decided they looked more like a stripper's nipples than indicator lamps.  Great in the right place, but not so much on the headlight.

This is plan B - screws into a re-tapped mirror mount.

pinholenz

My interest is piqued. Have you tried out the Malossi boost bottles yet? Are they roughly 250cc each or more?