Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

I haven't measured them.  Definitely larger than the 70ml yics though.  Perhaps 100ml? but spring loaded so they self adjust.
I haven't tried them out yet - there's a full re-wire to do first :-( and the exhaust and air box stuff.

On the plus side the engines back where it's supposed to be.

The Prophet of Doom

So this weekend I'm planning on starting my re-wire.  Would you guys like:

• Agonising details in another thread
  • Pics and a few comments along the way
  • Pics only but not till it's finished
  • Shut the *&% up we are bored with this thread

cobol74

"Gory" details in another thread

Re-Vision

Keep this thread and provide pictures as you go.     BDC

QBS

fret not

This is as good a place as any, and more appropriate than most, for your "great unveiling".  Now that the tension has been created . . . . let's see it! ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on October 16, 2015, 12:55:40 AM
This is as good a place as any, and more appropriate than most, for your "great unveiling".  Now that the tension has been created . . . . let's see it! ;)
"Great Unveiling" were Pinholenz's words, not mine.  Actually every time I go into the shed my finish date gets further away.  This weekend I started building a mounting box for the shorai battery & starter relay in the rear cowl but ran out of Argon half way through :-(

The Prophet of Doom

Made a start on the wiring diagram for the Prophesy of Doom.

dingleberry

Nice work POD. Video camera? 185 on the speedo? Prophesy? Typo? What's with the throttle position sensor? Are you planning injection in the future? Why all the questions?
You like, oui?

pinholenz

That is the beginning of a wiring diagram that I can actually understand....  I am also beginning to see why I ride a trusty rusty and not a super modified or a showroom restored bike.

In West Auckland they say "House finished. Man dead!" I trust that the same won't apply to this thread...

Off to the Feilding Steam day on Saturday. First ride out with the Wanganui Classic Motorcycle Club. Lets see if my ego can cope with being shamed with 1. Not riding a BEAR. 2. Not having a beautifully restored bike worth 10 to 30x more than my humble Japanese classic.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

I got a tiny Replay HD 1080p lipstick cam last year and have only used it once so it's going on the bike.  It has a hardwire function and will record the last 8 hours on a rolling basis.

185 might be a bit optimistic.  Fastest I've been on an XZ is about 170kmh but I was younger and stupider and lighter and had a MoT cop trying to catch me.

The latest rage is to name your bike and it's a must if you want it on Bike EXIF.  Mine is tentatively called the "Prophesy of Doom" it has a better ring to it than "that piece of &^% up in the shed"

No current plans for injection, I would but for the $1500 or so in parts and would need a dyno I think to get it set up properly.  The TPS is to work with my Ignitech TCIP4.  It supports 3D ignition advance curves based on throttle position or vacuum.  I think vacuum would be better and easier, but I happen to have a SV1000 TPS in the cupboard already.  The ignitech guys sent me a 3D curve for the XZ, so I don't have to do anything except flash it on to the unit.

@pinholenz
I don't know why the Japanese manufacturers make their diagrams so obscure but they are a pain in the arse and don't translate well to the actual wiring on the bike which have colour changes, dead-ends, loopbacks, hidden diodes and strange wire diameter choices.  Perhaps it's to do with their squiggly writing and overdoses of sake.  British manuals are a lot clearer generally. 

I can't die after this, I still have another two vehicles planned.  I have already bought new O/S pistons rings, gaskets and valves for a full engine rebuild for the next one.

Hard to say what the reaction will be.  I tried to join the Classic Japanese Motorcycle Group here in Christchurch.  They told me to piss off because my motorcycle was too modern.  On the other hand I've had great reactions from hard core Brit biker types. 

The Prophet of Doom

One thing I never planned initially was Navigation.  Found one of these on Kickstarter.  It's a GPS compass that shows you the direction and distance of your target (that is programmed on your cell phone).  Designed for bicycles, but shockproof and rainproof so should the fine on the moto. 

I love a bit of cool tech

The Prophet of Doom

Fabricated a small battery box for the Shorai and starter relay- all nicely vibration isolated of course.  Show here without the padding, or retaining strap.  It only just fits without hitting the seat, and only because I have blanking plates where the taillight bulbs used to be after my LED Retrofit.

I thought there would be room for the motogadget m-unit - but I can't make it fit nicely.  I'll need to make a separate box for that.

dingleberry

Battery in the boot/trunk trick, nice. But now where are you going to fit the amp for the stereo? Is that an alloy piece of mudguard you have made underneath box?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: dingleberry on December 01, 2015, 03:39:36 AM
Battery in the boot/trunk trick, nice. But now where are you going to fit the amp for the stereo? Is that an alloy piece of mudguard you have made underneath box?
Haha - My twingled V at 10,000RPM is all the music I need.
Alloy, yes - no horrid plastic on this baby.  It's trimmed really short - flush with the tail-light

The Prophet of Doom

Today I thought I'd mount my Shindengen FH0012A R/R in its groovy now location.  I've tapped some mounting holes in the flat bit of the frame between the sidecovers.

I have to say it... my life is plagued by half-assed retards and their shonky DIY electrics.  This is NOT what a crimped and soldered connector should look like.  And this was by a professional mechanic on his own bike.  Sheesh.

The Prophet of Doom

The Prophet of Doom

The mounting holes for Nology Profire coils are not the same as stock.  I cut some strips of 4mm plate, drilled 3 holes and spaced them out from the frame with some alu tube. 
Seems to do the trick.

kiwibum

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on February 09, 2016, 01:59:16 AM
Tail tidy
Nice number plate, didn't realise they did custom plates for bikes here. What am I going to put on my one, now you have used that one?!