News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Mine is just a vinyl cut fake one.  Not that anyone here is going to look it up and burgle my bike, but I think good practice not to put such things on the Internet if you can avoid it.
Yes you can get custom bike plates personalisedplates.co.nz  up to 5 long.  At $969 I can think of lots of better things to buy for my bike.  xz55o (oh, not zero) is available if you want it.

kiwibum

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on February 21, 2016, 06:16:29 AM

Mine is just a vinyl cut fake one.  Not that anyone here is going to look it up and burgle my bike, but I think good practice not to put such things on the Internet if you can avoid it.
Yes you can get custom bike plates personalisedplates.co.nz  up to 5 long.  At $969 I can think of lots of better things to buy for my bike.  xz55o (oh, not zero) is available if you want it.
Yes the price is a bit steep, think I'd rather put the money towards EFI :)

pinholenz

Hi POD,
Just back from a tour of the north of the South Island that included a pleasurable day at the Nelson Classic Motorcycle Museum and another at Peter Jacksons WW1 Aircraft display in Blenheim. Amazing what unlimited financial resources can put together! Felt several earthquakes while I was there. Did you suffer any damage in the last shake in your area?
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on February 28, 2016, 02:38:42 PM
Hi POD,
Just back from a tour of the north of the South Island that included a pleasurable day at the Nelson Classic Motorcycle Museum and another at Peter Jacksons WW1 Aircraft display in Blenheim. Amazing what unlimited financial resources can put together! Felt several earthquakes while I was there. Did you suffer any damage in the last shake in your area?
Perhaps the Nelson Classic Motorcycle Museum would be a good place for Re-Vision's museum project?  I've not been there myself.
No damage - a silver lining to having everything packed away in boxes and camping out with relatives for 6 months.

fret not

Nice try POD.  But NZ is a much farther distance from Texas than Alabama (Barber Motorsports Museum). ;D
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

Sadly the New Zealand Classic Motorcycle Museum has just announced that it is due to be mothballed next month because of the ill health of its owner.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/76971134/sturgess-to-close-his-300motorcycle-nelson-collection

Hopefully the excellent website will be maintained. In case it doesn't, take time to have a look.
http://www.nzclassicmotorcycles.co.nz/

I got reacquainted with John Britten's masterpiece while I was at the museum - valued at $1 million.  In case our American cousins don't know what all the fuss was about, have a look at the naked version of the bike to appreciate its "frameless" design.
http://www.new-zealand-pictures.com/2015/05/britten-motorcycle-naked/

QBS

"masterpiece" is certainly the appropriate term, but it falls short of doing Johns' creation anything close to justice.  Thankfully, The Barber also has an example.

pinholenz

Would Britten's "creative and engineering genius" be better?

QBS

dingleberry

There is a campervan based on an old truck of some sort at the Geraldine Transport Museum that showcases John Britten's talents. Was really sad to hear about the Nelson Classic bike museum closing. My wife and kids have been but I have not  :'(
May have to do a special trip before it's all over if I'm not too late already.
You like, oui?

fret not

Dingleberry, their site says now closed to the public due to health issues.  You can still see some of it on the site, as there are some nice pics to ogle.   :o

Maybe you could start a movement to make the collection a national park or monument or something.   ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I was getting a small amount of coolant seeping out the weephole so that means a faulty ceramic seal.

Haynes recommends against servicing your own waterpump, but it seems pretty easy with the correct tool, which I don't have.

Quickly spun this out of Delrin, and bashed it with a hammer instead of a hydraulic press.  Seemed to go OK.

The Prophet of Doom

Here's the right side with the clutch done, waterpump overhauled and the cover powdercoated in wrinkle black.
The pic doesn't show it so much, but the black case makes the jugs look really really big - and who doesn't like that?

pinholenz

dingleberry

Big Jugs mmmm. Something about them reminds me of the cybermen from Doctor Who.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Given the choice of doing wiring, or fiddling with the tank, I chose the latter. 

I'd stripped this tank a while ago so I could repair the significant dentage on either side, and the top.
Today I used a pneumatic dent puller to get it back to normal.  If you haven't used one of these before they are brilliant.  Push a trigger and it spot welds itself, pulls, then twists itself off..  Less then an hour and it's nearly factory smooth.

Then I got carried away and hacked off the swoops at the rear.  Not welded back up yet, but I think it's going to look OK

pinholenz

Looked online at pneumatic dent pullers - saw nothing like you described. What is this magic beast?

The Prophet of Doom

I was using a Wielander + Schill AP95

Video on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-KkwuLD3s

pinholenz

OK that's very cool. Want to get my hands on one of those. I'll try my hire shop.....

Rikugun

QuoteThen I got carried away and hacked off the swoops at the rear.  Not welded back up yet, but I think it's going to look OK

be thinking about continue the new body line across the seat lower edge as well?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan