News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Dang. If you weren't across the ocean I'd say we need to combine forces to build a couple awesome bikes.  I think you've finally motivated me to take the plunge and cut my tank too  I'll see if I can do it Monday.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Blake on May 21, 2016, 05:53:06 PM
Dang. If you weren't across the ocean I'd say we need to combine forces to build a couple awesome bikes.  I think you've finally motivated me to take the plunge and cut my tank too  I'll see if I can do it Monday.
Yeah, wouldn't that be fun.  Your early posts were part of the inspiration for me ripping into my bike, so I guess we are even at the moment, though I am growing increasingly jealous of your USD forks. :'(

If you are going to do it yourself here are some more details.

I took the cut to the point of the tank.  That's not quite a straight line though to the tail piece but I didn't want a flat piece at the end.  I will drop the front mounts about 10mm to compensate and line it all up.  You can see i had to cut in under the petcock mount and re-angle it for the new line.  I've bent up replacement pieces so the tank will have angles down to the seam same as the original for a "factory" look.  Same gauge also for ease of welding.   

The idea with the seat is to re-form it with plastic welding so there is a dead straight line along from the tank to the base of the rear cowl where it kicks up.  The seat hinge mounts are all gone from the frame (no side covers to hide behind), so I'll have to make up a new hidden hinge system for it.

Blake

I know it'll be more effort, but have you thought of ditching the stock petcock, getting a universal one with a npt bung, and making the fuel outlet down in the bottom of the front dip?   That's where I'm going to put mine, as (1) it draws fuel from the lowest point (essentially increasing the capacity of the tank) and (2) since it's at the lowest point, water won't get a chance to pool there and rust, as till constantly be pulling it out of the tank.    Just a thought.   I figure since you're already welding a new section on, you might as well fix the cause of the rusty tank.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Blake on May 23, 2016, 03:19:31 PM
I know it'll be more effort, but have you thought of ditching the stock petcock,
A good thought, couldn't see how I could mount nicely on the pointy bit though. 

I was thinking of a balance tube on the pointy bits.  There's fuel on the right side that will never get used otherwise and it can be used for water evacuation (though the best solution for that is keeping the tank full (no condensation).  It also gives any crud somewhere to settle other than my carbs.

A vacuumless petcock would be better with the electric pump though - I'll have to give this some thought

Blake

Something like this:. http://www.throttleaddiction.com/1-4-npt-petcock-90-deg-chrome/

Get a npt bung like this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/800-8202/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710559777&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-194671897271:pla-192430938071&gclid=CjwKEAjw1Iq6BRDY_tK-9OjdmBESJABlzoY7KtR5xuClYDY1r3xkW6uPjrrO0en7H4asTyqC307sEBoCYJHw_wcB

Drill a hole at the bottom point on the inside sheet metal, weld in the bung, and attach petcock.     That's my plan at least.   Since it's on the Inside metal it doesn't have to look 100% perfect since the seam and outside parts will cover up most of it.  For my efi though I'll be pullling fuel from one point, and returning to the other side since the fuel pressure regulator is a return style.  I'm hoping that keeps any water mixed up so it'll pass through quickly.

Sorry, no pictures of mine right not.  I'm at my dad's right now and we're finishing the dry wall in the garage.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Blake on May 23, 2016, 04:34:47 PM
Something like this:. http://www.throttleaddiction.com/1-4-npt-petcock-90-deg-chrome/

Get a npt bung like this:

Not NPT of course - that's a USA only thing, but yeah that would work, except I'd loose my reserve.  You've got no idea how many times that would have left me stranded.  I've been looking for a good cheap capacitive fuel sender, to wire into my micro but no luck so far.

It would be great for a balance tube though with some quick-disconnect fittings.    I'll do that if I can find a couple of bungs & fittings before the weekend.  Otherwise it's welding time baby and I'll stick to plan A

As a thought, all the EFI bikes I've seen have the return pipe outlet right at the top of the tank.  I would imagine for cooling since the pressure should easily overcome the weight of the fuel in the tank.  An issue for you do you think?

fret not

Having that extra bit of fuel in one side of the tank when the other side has run dry is certainly a good aspect to retain.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Got both the outside pieces tacked in place.  I need to get these finished and fully welded in place before I do anything with the inside pieces.  That way any heat distortion can be corrected while I can still get tools in there.

pinholenz

Hiya POD,

Thought you might be interested in the discussion over on the General list, "Introducing Myself". Discussion there is about putting a GPZ front end on to an XZ. I have just seen that there is a GPZ front end for sale in Christchurch. I think it is a 2 or 3 pot caliper???.

Cheers
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

I'd love a set of USD forks, but you can't change brakes without certification.  This time round I'm trying to do it entirely within the allowable mods, or at least close enough so I wouldn't get caught.

pinholenz

Good, I wouldn't want to throw a distraction in your direction. Hows the project doing?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on July 01, 2016, 06:05:58 AM
Good, I wouldn't want to throw a distraction in your direction. Hows the project doing?
I keep getting distracted :-)
Today I traveled the hour or so to my bike to finish the tank welding, but ended up powder coating my shock spring instead.  This is just sitting in place - last chance to comment on the colour before it gets put back together next week.

pinholenz

Shock spring looks great as do the expansion chambers (AKA YICS)

Our friend in Germany is  now offering his modified Stainless Steel Yics and has gone into production.

http://fivefivezero.bplaced.net/wiki/index.php?title=Datei:YICS_Edelstahl.jpg

iain

Is that colour[GO FAST RED] you powder coated them..????

Iain
NZ

Rikugun

The pink spring looks OK I guess  ;) but what's up with those YICS thingies? Have you gone into how and what they are all about? Admittedly I'm too lazy to go through 24 pages of the build post to look for myself.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Looks like an orange colour on my monitor......

The Prophet of Doom

You guys need to colour calibrate your monitors.  It's red - about the same colour as fresh blood, which is handy since it won't show up splatters when I drive my death machine into those wire barriers they put on motorways these days.

Don't know if you guys noticed, but there's a dirty great reservoir hanging off that shock.  It's a stock xz550 82 shock rebuilt with an FJ spring (12.5mm) which is about 15% springyer, new seals, the oil/gas separator removed, and the body tapped for the reservoir which has a bladder in it. 

The YICS thingies are Malozzi boost bottles.  When pushing fuel/air mix into a fixed chamber you hardly get any in because the pressure in the chamber fights against the pressure from the air velocity.  These expand / contract as pressure changes so they fill with atomised fuel/air mixture much more effectively, and introduce more swirl. They also have a slightly higher capacity which is closer to modern boost bottle theory of half the capacity.

Well that's the theory anyway.  If all they do is go in and out and look a bit steampunk, then I can live with that.

QBS

You must be mistaken.  Everyone knows that '82 shocks can not be rebuilt

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: QBS on July 09, 2016, 07:33:07 PM
You must be mistaken.  Everyone knows that '82 shocks can not be rebuilt
Well I don't want to contradict "Everyone" but everyone is wrong.

The only thing non rebuildable about the stock shock is the very common lack of a nitrogen valve (easily fixed) and lack of skill with the people doing it (not so easily fixed).  Even the welded up variants can be done by suitably competent people.

pinholenz

Don't you just love the challenge of "it can't be done!"

Blood Red looks better than orange BTW