News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on July 10, 2016, 04:32:33 AM
Don't you just love the challenge of "it can't be done!"
Blood Red looks better than orange BTW
Thanks
Actually the whole thing is a challenge.  I started ripping into my my bike with no experience other than oil changes.  One thing I've learned is that ANYTHING can be done, but yes it can be hard finding out how.

HERE is some info about a charging bolt from racetech

fret not

Thanks for thew link. Interesting.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I should probably add that just because you can rebuild a shock, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

The damping is primitive compared to modern shocks and the racetech guys told me that adding modern valving (like the race tech gold valve) to the shock requires a shaft replacement and so a total cost of 3/4 of a brand new Ohlins shock.

Walt_M.

That has been my thinking all along on this. The original problem was how to counter the shaft drive tendency of rear end rise on acceleration and to a lesser extent drop on deceleration. The solution for Yamaha was stiff springing and damping and short travel. It worked okay with slight improvement in the '83 US model which added variable damping. Improvement in shocks since then has been substantial. When the original shock wears out, and most already have, get a suitable replacement and move on.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

QuoteI should probably add that just because you can rebuild a shock, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Good to know and thanks for the informative racetech link.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Today I installed new eye bushes (from yambits.co.uk) and got the spring fixed in place.  I just got sockets of the correct size and squeezed them in my bench vice.  No hydraulic press needed.
Other than mounting the reservoir I'm pretty happy

Rikugun

QuoteOther than mounting the reservoir I'm pretty happy
With the stock body work that could be a challenge finding it a home.  :(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Most of my stock bodywork has gone into the bin - guess I'll be allright then :-)

Rikugun

Oh, in that case you have some options!  :)

The Prophet of Doom

My poor bike has been neglected, and is covered in dust.  This is not the way to get it finished...

Today I replaced my transmission and oil drain plugs with magnetic versions (M14 x 1.5).  They cost less direct from China (aliexpress.com) than a replacement crush washer from a local store. They are alloy so a few more grams saved.

I also drilled and re-tapped the radiator shroud connecting bolts out to M6 so it can better handle the weight of the overflowing bottle.

The Prophet of Doom

Originally I was going to eliminate the rad overflow bottle entirely as I am using waterless coolant, but decided to keep one, largely through fears of air bubbles stalling the water pump.

I was not so happy about the fixings on version 1 overflow so re-worked with new cans.  Overflow on the right, crankcase catch can on the right.

Had to drop off my shroud and replace it with some 8mm alloy plate  on the side of the radiator.  I'll have to come up with another plan for the rad grill.

fret not

Oh Prophet of Doom, what is that hub in the second pic?

The catch cans add a snazzy appearance, and hopefully they will never come into contact with the road surface.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on January 08, 2017, 12:51:13 AM
Oh Prophet of Doom, what is that hub in the second pic?
That's off a Yamaha Virago XV750C.  I thought it might fit on the XZ.  But not so straight forward.  Axle is the same, the disk rotors are further apart by about 10mm. Shaving them off would need a bigger lathe than I have, and i think the calipers would clip the spokes.  The rear fits even worse :-(

The Prophet of Doom

I should add that the reason I didn't progress with the XV hubs is that wheel mods like machining are forbidden here. A full wheel swap on the other hand is perfectly OK  weird huh?

The Prophet of Doom

The Ignitech TCIP4 takes a Throttle Position sensor so that there will be more ignition advance when the throttle is partially open than when fully opened.  It is supposed to make very noticeable improvements in roll-on throttle performance out of corners.  The TPS I am using is a Febi Bilstein Part # 26373 off a BMW.

To attach the TPS, I made a brass adapter.  This replaces the nut on the rear butterfly and locks up with a grub screw.  The TBS is suspended by a small plate that bolts to a modified stock bracket that allows the TPS to be rotated.

It all seems to work OK, but I would do it differently if I did it again.  It's all a bit too tight for easily working on the carbs.

The Prophet of Doom

I am so in love with Motogadget.com that I want to marry them and have their babies.  These are the amazing new m-blaze pin indicators.  A fairly hefty €39.00 but worth every € if you ask me.

Very very tiny, and very very very bright.

iain

They are so small,,i like them

Iain
NZ

QBS

Their so small and bright that I can't tell if their a turn signal or a running light.  I love the way you have repurposed the Vision medallion onto the horn cover.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: QBS on January 24, 2017, 12:40:40 AM
Their so small and bright that I can't tell if their a turn signal or a running light.  I love the way you have repurposed the Vision medallion onto the horn cover.
The motogadget m-unit will allow them to be running lights AND turn signals.  There's a setting to choose the % illumination as a running light.  You can also choose a fade-in / fade-out effect. I've re-purposed one of my switches to be a hazard switch and turn all four indicators on and off together.

The badge was a little tricky.  I had to buzz the YAMAHA off with my milling machine to make a nice flat surface first.  Because it's curved there's only just enough material there to do it.  It fits well though.  Another pic from before the engine went in...

pinholenz

Looking good! Glad to see the reflectors still on the radiator. I just replaced mine with yellow ones from China. Seems that on nearly every XZ I see, the originals have been lost.

Can you explain how the crankcase oil mist collector works? Presumably this will be connected to the valve train covers and  the traditional air filter housing connection eliminated.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550