News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Going Racing

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 15, 2011, 04:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on January 29, 2017, 02:22:54 PM
Looking good! Glad to see the reflectors still on the radiator. I just replaced mine with yellow ones from China. Seems that on nearly every XZ I see, the originals have been lost.
They are near perfect originals.  Mine were missing. Can't remember who I got them off.

Quote from: pinholenz on January 29, 2017, 02:22:54 PM
Can you explain how the crankcase oil mist collector works? Presumably this will be connected to the valve train covers and  the traditional air filter housing connection eliminated.

That's right.  The two hoses go into the collector through the two right angle connectors you can see.  There's a tube that runs up the inside from the bottom to near the top which is a vent to atmosphere - stops the catch can from pressurising.

The Prophet of Doom

Since I replaced the gauges, I've been looking for a temp gauge that would suit.  Everything I found was too big and clunky.
I bought one of these mini 37mm gauges off Aliexpress for less than $20.  At 72mm long it is way too long to insert into the headlight bucket, but I had a cunning plan.

I pulled it apart and separated the two circuit boards, putting a ribbon cable between the two.  Then I chopped the back off the case and clamped it on to the headlight shell using the existing thread.  I also sanded the top cap to make it a bit narrower.  The circuit boards I potted to make them waterproof.

QBS

Well done.  Cunning, indeed.

The Prophet of Doom

I'm between jobs at present so have a little time to do some wiring.  The main part of the loom is done.  This is the m-unit lit up as I test out some of the ends before trimming

Everything is sheathed in Techflex Flexo-PET  I was going to use fibreglass braid, but WAY too expensive.

The Prophet of Doom

I needed to find somewhere for the speedo config button.  Since I have bar-end mirrors I have a useless mirror mount.  Drilled and tapped (M12 Fine) to fit a waterproof switch and drilled in an exit hole for the wires.

Rikugun

That's a good use of an otherwise abandoned mounting location. A tidy installation indeed.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

This is a Futaba T123 Thermo Radiator cap.  Measured in Celcius only so may not suit visionaries in Burma and Liberia who still use Degrees F.  A perfect fit for the XZ, but obviously without the stock radiator shroud. Measures about 3 or 4 degrees hot.

Rikugun

QuoteMeasures about 3 or 4 degrees hot.
What did you compare it to?  Oh, and is that 3 or 4 degrees F?  :P
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on June 20, 2017, 12:35:40 PM
What did you compare it to?  Oh, and is that 3 or 4 degrees F?  :P
I stuck it in boiling water and it went to just under 105.  Degrees C of course - I'm no Liberian.

pinholenz

Hi POD,

Back in June 2013 you were messing around with your monoshock and took the spring off to test whether the damper was still working. How did you test that? Just pressing the piston down on the concrete floor and seeing how resistant it was?

Thanks
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Yes, that was pretty much it.
Without the spring it flops in and out against my bodyweight without resistance if it's dried out, or will take about 2 seconds when the damping is working

pinholenz

Brilliant. I will start making a spring compressor this week, as illustrated by you (thanks) with the 12mm threaded rod as you suggest. Being a non-engineer, I will probably just clean it up and repaint the spring if the damper is OK. Its off an XZ400 and I am unsure of its year or history apart from the frame number.  14X 151354

As far as I can see, you are the only person in the history of this forum to rebuild an '82 XZ monoshock. I can find what you did, but not how you did it. Is that something that I have missed?

Cheers

The Prophet of Doom

I did my own bushes and powder coated the spring, but it wasn't me that added the gas nipple and reservoir.  It was originally the big pink shock I bought off Raj  and it was done that way when I got it.  I then had it rebuilt by a local suspension guy (who disappeared after the earthquakes) because it was leaking.

If you want yours done give Robert Taylor/Kiwi Suspension Solutions Ltd a call <sales@kss.net.nz>
Assuming the shaft is okay allow around $300 to $350 all up. That's a new seal head assembly, piston ring, gas charge nipple, dividing gas piston o ring and piston ring, oil, gas, labour.  They can do the welded up shocks as well as the removable cap types.

The Prophet of Doom

Today I wired up the Motogadget RFID m-Lock.
This replaces the ignition key, just a swipe of my fob,phone or ID card to turn it on or off.   Nice.

fret not

More tech is better.  Do you have a cloaking device or anti gravity yet? ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

No, but I'll have navigation.  Does that count?

Rikugun

Very clean install - looks good.

The Prophet of Doom

Some bracket fabrikation this week before I go back to work after the summer holls (with temps around the 30-35 mark).
- K&N electric fuel pump
- Ignitech TCIP4

pinholenz

Great link PoD. Interesting read. I notice too that in Chapter 8 (Safety Gear) Section .2m the

"MNZ strongly recommends, on advice from manufacturers, that you do not  use a helmet for more than three years.
Make sure your helmet is not dropped, or subjected to abuse in any way. If  this happens have it re-examined by a qualified person or replace it"

Translated to weekend riders, then the imponding by track officials of any helmet over 10 years old, sounds common sense.

Time for me to to get a new hat! Thanks for the reminder.

The Prophet of Doom

A secret chamber in the front of the airbox - aluminium sealed with RTV.  This is a resting place for some of the massive waterproof connectors.