Master Cylinder Sight Glass Replacement?

Started by PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ, November 01, 2011, 07:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

MikesXS.com has the sight glass to replace cloudy ones in our old master cylinders. They would probably fit since it's for a Yamaha of the same years. How are they attached? Press fit? Super Glue? How does the old one come out?

Tiger

:) I've done a few of these...removal can be a right P.I.T.A !!!

I stick an electrical screwdriver through the centre of the old clouded sight plastic and with the help of a pair of small, angled, thin nose pliers, remove all the crap. I then clean the area with brake and parts cleaner and lay a very thin film of RTV silicone around the area with a small paint brush (think artist brush). The new glass can then be put in place with a wee bit of pressure, left over night to cure and ... VOILA!!!

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Cdnlouie

Yeah and I'm waiting until I need another P.I.T.A. I need to do about three of them so once I get on a roll some day!

Jimustanguitar

There was a guy on eBay that sold little glass discs that you could silicone into the master. I did it on my Seca a few years ago, looks nice if you can spread a nice bead with the silicone.

Raj1988

Yes but $15 is much too steep. Last time I bought a few it was 6.5
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

pinholenz

Reviving this old thread - has anyone used mineral glass from a watchmakers supplier or AliExpress to replace their master cylinder sight glass? Ours appear to be about 16.7mm in diameter

Otto Frei seems to do the business for US$2.50 each with a $15 minimum order
http://www.ofrei.com/15-mineral-glass.htm

Alternatively AliExpress for about US$4.00 each including postage
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1pc-of-Flat-Mineral-Watch-Glass-Crystal-1-0mm-Thick-16-29-5mm-Size/32431881164.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.VNMS2U&ws_ab_test=201526_3,201527_2_30_32_31_71_72_73_74_75_29,201409_4
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

I don't have the package any more, but fairly sure I used the 16.7mm recommendation, and had to sand the edges very slightly to fit.
Go for thicker if you can, mine were 1mm and break easily when you push on them.

I'll take a couple or 3 spares if you have a minimum order quantity

The Prophet of Doom

pinholenz

No worries POD. Will do.

BTW Here's a new Gif for POD! Kinda dark?

http://38.media.tumblr.com/b08d30a3db5ee8baab22a4cc89482cca/tumblr_mzv0fgxELR1r2idzvo1_r1_400.gif

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on September 22, 2015, 06:15:35 PM
No worries POD. Will do.

BTW Here's a new Gif for POD! Kinda dark?
Yes, that's exactly what it looks like at the PoD's house.

iain

ill testify to that its like that every time we go there  :police:

dingleberry

Better make sure I've got Bob Seger and the SILVER BULLET band playing on the radio next time I visit. When it comes to sharp pointy teeth, vamps are not as scary as sharks.
You like, oui?

pinholenz

Meanwhile, back on topic....

On a chance, I visited my local watchmaker and he supplied a 1.00 mm x 16.7mm flat mineral glass for NZ$5.00.

For those in Australasia and beyond, we do have a local company selling thicker 2.00mm x 16.7mm mineral glass for NZ$8.00 + sales tax (if any) + postage.  Unlike dealing with companies in the USA, you should be able to get these sent to you via regular post rather than international parcel couriers.
--------------------------------------------------------
Hi John,

We can supply 16.7 mm round glasses at 2mm thick.  We do not have that size in 2.5mm. 
They are $8.00 plus gst and postage.

Regards
Paula

Master time centre
Tel (09) 536 7148
Fax  (09) 536 7194
Web www.mastertime.co.nz
68 Pine Harbour Parade, Beachlands, Auckland, 2018, New Zealand
Email: mastertime@xtra.co.nz
------------------------------------------------------------

The Prophet of Doom