News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Charging system conversations with Electrex

Started by Lucky, October 20, 2003, 06:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

I just got my Rick's stator in and fired it up. I put my hand on the R/R as it was warming up and it warmed up quickly. In 5 minutes, it didn't get hot enough so I couldn't keep my hand on it though. Proably 130 degrees or so. I would think if it wasn't sinking enough heat away that it would fail. I'm thinking of putting a 12VDC CPU cooling fan on it. Maybe it will help the stator?? The components may be changing characteristics as they heat up, but not to the failing point in the R/R.

Another tip. The last stator cover gasket I got from Yamaha came with the white cardboard beside it to keep it's shape. I traced the gasket onto it, cut it out and used a leather hole punch to "knock out" the holes. Then I bought ($5) 1/16" gasket material, traced my "template" onto the material (after cutting a piece and flattening it out for 3 days!) cut it out and punched it. No oil leaks so far!
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Humber

Relocate your R/R... I experience the same in stock location.... was damn hot to touch...
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Quoteit would be better to see something starting to fail and shut down before it all goes.
I have a voltmeter on mine, And did watch the volts drop over a period of time, but what good would have come fromshut it down?  are you somehow saying that shutting it down would prevent it from failing altogether?  I doubt it, once it's begun it's decline, I think it's toast, pardon the pun...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

George R. Young

I had the Vision rotor bolt drilled to try to emulate this. The bolt drawing is at
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ag136/bolt.jpg
The stator failed anyway.

QuoteMore bits?:
      I remember when the first Ventures came out,they fried stators left and right. I believe the fix from Yamaha was to drill a larger passage or replace one of the oil passage bolts with one with a larger passage. The idea was to flow a higher volume of oil and ultimately keep the stator cooler.
      Ken S.      

Rick G

If you catch it as soon as it starts AND its the R/R ,thats the problem, you could conceivably  save the stator. If its the stator that caused the problem , it won't help.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

I had a R/R fail back in MN . I had just left the house , so i turned around and went straight back and changed it . I rode the bike with the stator for another 3 1/2 years.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

The CPU fan I put on my R/R in July is still running, still no R/R problems in the stock location. I did space the fan about 1/2 inch from the R/R so, if the fan fails, the R/R will still get air.
Whale oil beef hooked!

RussD

QuoteI had a R/R fail back in MN . I had just left the house , so i turned around and went straight back and changed it . I rode the bike with the stator for another 3 1/2 years.

And refresh my memory please........What are the signs that you're r/r is going? In other words Rick.....What tipped you off to turn around & head for home?
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

Rick G

The Volt meter i had installed on the bike suddenly went to 16 volts . It was pegged!  All you have to do is install a15,00 volt meter from the auto parts store.
Rick G

Dave T.

QuoteI don't believe the stator puts out 50-100VAC. I put my DVM across 2 of the 3 leads (open) and got as little as 9VAC, with 17VAC being the most. Of course this is RMS voltage, not P-P voltage.

I have to eat my words here. I performed this test with the 3 stator output wires connected to the R/R. You are supposed to get 50VAC @ 5000 rpm's or above with the stator output DISCONNECTED from the R/R according to electrex. I just ran the test with my Rick's stator and got 75VAC @ 5000 rpm's across 2 of the 3 leads.

The voltage drops considerably with the load on the stator.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Rick G

Rick G