Carb cleaner...

Started by Tiger, November 23, 2011, 08:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I mentioned, in a past thread, using PINE-SOL as a possible carb cleaner. This is your buy-it-off-the-shelf product...no substitute product(s), no lime fragrance, etc...just your original, regular Pine-Sol!!

Not having used it myself, I decided to give it a go.....Sorry, but no pictures!!!

I put Pine-Sol in to a clear, lidded, plastic container...Took a carb top and stripped out the float/needle/housing, top jet, choke mechanism, etc and submerged the whole lot in to the liquid. Put the lid on and left for 24 hours.....tic, tock, tic, tock :-\

The next morning I removed all the parts and rinsed them off in hot water and a wee nail brush. Fired up the compressor and blow dried everything.......VOILA!!!!!

All the parts came out squeaky clean and ready for assembly. (I did run all the brass parts over with a wee bit of 'oooo' wire/steel wool to give them a real good shine before assembly).

I have since, done the other carb top, with the same result... 8)

Now I have a carb bottom half, stripped out and submerged (as of an hour ago) in the same solution.

The Pine-Sol is used neat, straight out of the bottle. Its a safer way to do a carb clean...and the garage smells really nice too ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Cdnlouie

Awwww....you just ran out of carb cleaner to sniff and got desperate!  ::)

This is the new "GREEN" sniffing trend  ;D

VFan

Wow! What an Intriguing tip. Who would have thought to use Pine Sol?

I will give this a try during Christmas break. Thanks for the post!

VFan

RedBaron

Yeah...I dunno about this. Hey, you guys act like you clean carbs each month! Once a year or so ought to do it, especially since the gaskets cost more than the cleaner...you guys are pulling my leg and somebody may take you seriously about the pine sol and the lady of the house might take exception or even decide to make you use what's left to clean the bathrooms while your at it, or you buddies come into the garage and see you with a big jug of pine-sol beside the tool box and decide you are a little odd for disinfecting your socket wrenches, so you see, there are a lot of things wrong with this concept.

RB
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Tiger

:) RB, with 22 Vision rebuilds behind me and helping other local and long distance Vision owners with their rides, I need spare carbs!!!...among other parts.

In the past, I have always 'farmed' these out... Cdnlouie being my main guy for a long time and of late, my brother (Black Jack) looks after them. However, I decided it was about time to chip in :P ;D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

Pine Sol works...and works really well...besides, its inexpensive, easy to dispose of and the garage smells really nice too 8)

Now, what you may use it for...that's your business :o ;D :D :D :D... ;)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Cdnlouie

Well, I believed you! And you're right, it is time you got your hands dirty. The next thing you will probably recommend is Palmolive dish soap because it restores dry skin  ;D.

Heck it's about time you started digging into these carbs, and you can't lose because if you get in trouble you know someone's around to bail you out  :P :laugh:

cvincer

We must be backward here in the Land of Oz (or we have clean air & petrol), but I can't buy any Pine-Sol or containers of 'Carb Cleaner'

in which to soak the carbs.     Bottles of stuff to put into the petrol tank & aerosol spray cans we have, but not Pine-Sol or Carb Cleaner.

Workshops used to put carbs in  acid baths  (& still do for $60), but they are cagey about telling me which acid or the concentration.

Anyone here had  EXPERIENCE  with which acid & concentration?

RedBaron

My first ex was pure acid and heavily concentrated.

RB
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Tiger

:) I can confirm that Pine-Sol does work...and works well 8)

I did two carb tops and a carb bottom. Finally, I dropped in all the jets, emulsion tubes, float pins, screws, etc, etc. Everything came out to be washed off in a bowl of clean hot water and then blow dried...everything came out sooooo clean.

The last thing I did was polish up all the brass parts with some 0000 wire/steel wool...VOILA!!!

All the parts were left in the Pine-Sol sollution for a full 24 hours...yours may take a wee bit more/less time to get the same results :-\

Kevin

I'll take the berrymans out of the sonic cleaner and try pine sol next carb job. Cool Tiger!