swing arm bearings

Started by iain, November 26, 2011, 08:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

Hi Guys,
I'm having problems with getting rid of swing arm movement, my bearings are only about 3 to 4 thousand Ks old. I have put slightly bigger thrust washers as per the manual and I still have movement. As you guys know, when you have the back end deciding to steer itself it doesn't make for pleasant riding. I would be grateful if some one could give me suggestions on how to eliminate this problem.
Iain
NZ

Re-Vision

Have you inspected the swing arm and frame for damage around the pivot shaft? Are you pretty sure that your rear wheel steer is caused by thrust bearing assembly rather than rear axle bearings? Dumb questions I suppose but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of things that would cause your problem. Got a parts bike?   BDC

RedBaron

Did you get that worked out? Is this the same bike you had trouble getting the swing arm out of  for powder coating?

RB
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

jasonm.

the Yamaha manual is clear about taking measurements before getting thrust washers. ALSO the bearing races MUST be fully seated in the FRAME. Yamaha was not big on setting them in as far as  needed. Often they stick out a slight bit, sometimes from the thrust washers rubbing on the frame.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

The Prophet of Doom

Are you sure it's not frame flex?
My bearings are tighter than a Carmelite nun, but put the bike on its main stand and the rear wheel can move at least 1cm either way.  At least 1/2 that seems to be the main stand flexing.

jasonm.

Quote from: roro on December 14, 2011, 03:16:54 AM
Are you sure it's not frame flex?
My bearings are tighter than a Carmelite nun, but put the bike on its main stand and the rear wheel can move at least 1cm either way.  At least 1/2 that seems to be the main stand flexing.
I have had 4 Visions. My '83 had since '93. None had that type of play. Play is checked while lightly pushing/pulling side to side.  Roro...something is wrong with your bike...loose.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Night Vision

your rear end is definitely loose

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Re-Vision

Looks like really smooth roller bearings with a little frame flex to me. Looks safe to ride.     BDC

iain

The reason she's got frame flex is that she has been ridden to often
Iain
NZ