News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Finally stopped the culprit - fuel petcock leak

Started by davexz, November 27, 2011, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davexz

After finally stopping a leaky fuel petcock I thought I'd tell others in case they have they same frustrating problem.  I tried a new rebuild kit and different valve bodies, cleaning, bonding the press fit connection, different washer at the drain screw, etc. and nothing worked.  I found it to be leaking around the perimeter of the rubber diaphram/plastic spacer stack up.  Studying it, I see what the problem is - the leak is coming from the chamber where the diaphram shut off plunger is.  There is a very low rib on the plastic spacer that is suppose to compress the rubber diaphram against the valve body around the plunger cavity.  Problem is - everything is too tiny and the tolerances, warping or whatever don't let if seal very well.  What I did was to double up the rubber thickness in this seal area only (looks like an egg shape seal area if you look close).  I used an old diaphram and cut out a dougnut shape and slipped it over the plunger so you have double rubbber thickness - don't include the double thickness at the 4 mounting holes because you want it to squeeze there.  It worked for me - even with a full tank of gas and after a ride. 

QBS

Please post some pictures, if possible.  If not, thank you for the write up.

davexz

Here is the only picture I got.  If you look close you can see another pear shaped piece of rubber I slipped over the plunger.  You can also see the pear shaped impression in the rubbber caused by the small raised geometry in the plastic spacer.  This is the same thing that suzuki uses to seal float bowls with a flat gasket, except they use a bigger rib and thicker gasket.  Here it is all too small to work consistently.  Hope it helps someone else.

Tommy

I guess that helped me - ran into the same thing today - Thanks!
1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

Kiwi

What problems will a leaking petcock cause? besides a waste of gas
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Tommy

1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

Lucky

you won't get as far when trying to escape zombies either...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: davexz on November 27, 2011, 06:57:22 PM
  I used an old diaphram and cut out a dougnut shape and slipped it over the plunger so you have double rubbber thickness - don't include the double thickness at the 4 mounting holes because you want it to squeeze there. 
If I did that to one of my wife's diaphrams she'd never let me touch her again.  Surely there are other sources of rubber that would cause less domestic friction

Rikugun

You're wife is smart. The last thing we need is another little Roro running around!    :o :D ;D :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

I have an old Suzuki savage (two stroke)  petcock . Its very similar to the Vision one , except it doesn't have a automatic shut off and the flange is thinner. if I have significant problems with mine I'll use it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

If you can believe this fitment chart the '82 Vision petcock rebuild kit works on a whole lotta' bikes.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Kawasaki-KZ440-750-Yamaha-XJ-XV550-920-Petcock-Rebuild-Kit?sc=12&category=74274

This kit would be incomplete at best for the '83 but they have it listed too. I guess this is a common mistake with petcock rebuild kit application charts?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

The '83 petcock is like nothing else I've seen . I think that after market suppliers assume a lot!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Protonus

Quote from: Kiwi on February 23, 2012, 07:58:55 PM
What problems will a leaking petcock cause? besides a waste of gas

If it's leaking back into the vacuum line like mine was, it can cause all sorts of driveability problems, backfiring in the intake, blowing out your valve cover gaskets, etc.   

1982 with full '83 fairings

Lucky

Quote from: Rikugun on February 24, 2012, 08:19:52 PM
If you can believe this fitment chart the '82 Vision petcock rebuild kit works on a whole lotta' bikes.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Kawasaki-KZ440-750-Yamaha-XJ-XV550-920-Petcock-Rebuild-Kit?sc=12&category=74274

This kit would be incomplete at best for the '83 but they have it listed too. I guess this is a common mistake with petcock rebuild kit application charts?

There is no rebuild kit for the 83. as far as i'm aware, i'm the only one who makes those diaphrams, I detest doing them & so they are expensive, but i do a very careful & thourough job...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black