82 Carb change- different gaskets?

Started by Kiwi, February 04, 2012, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

I know they updated the 82 with the flapper box later in the production run, did the carb float bowl gaskets change at all?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Cdnlouie

Rikugun

Are you asking just out of curiosity or did you happen to buy a rebuild kit with the wrong gasket? Last year I bought two Keyster assembled kits and they were marked '82 but were infact for the '83. That included all the parts BTW, not just the gasket.  :(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kiwi

I was going to get a local shop to make me some.  They have the schematics.  Unfortunately, the shop's machine is still broken ( 3 weeks now).
If i try to make my own, what kind of material do i use?  Is it just general gasket material?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Lucky

yeah, but get some good quality material, like a roll from Napa. a little harder to cut because it's thicker, but it's worth it. Also, have a couple of sharp single edge razor blades and a small vicegrip to hold the blade.  i think it's much easier on the fingers that way.  a clean piece of wood or a cuttingboard without a lot of divots is a must. Glass will dull the blade much fasrer..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

oh, one other thing:
Pick up a hole punch tool used for making belt loop holes.  they have 5-6 size punches that you rotate to get the one you want, and you squeeze it like a pair of pliers.
The biggest one will be slightly small, but the screws will thread thru,. you can bolt it together, impress the gasket material & that will aid in cutting it out, and trimming the exra on the holes.

QBS

Another approach, is to use thick non corrogated cardboard like that found on spiral notebooks.  Use the old gasket as a template and trace its' inside and out borders onto the cardboard.  Use an exacto knife to cut out the gasket.  To make the nessessary holes, use bolts that have the various desired diameters, as punches.  Place the gasket on a soft wooden board and hammer the bolt into/through the gasket and slightly into the wood.

I have used this method to successfully make left side engine cover gaskets by using and reusing a new OEM piece as the template.  No leakage problems for the last 10+ years.

Rikugun

That reminds me of a funny story.... When I (we) was younger, one of my brothers used to cut his own gaskets. He started on an XR75 that often was apart. He wasn't studious enough to have notebooks at his disposal. In a large family, what we did have was cereal boxes. We used to tease him at breakfast that he ate more than his share of Cheerios to keep himself supplied with gasket material  :)  :D

Having said that I'd rather see someone use a treated commercially prepared gasket sheet for making carb gaskets. I have no facts to back this up but rather just a feeling.  Anyone have any experience using chipboard/paperboard that was worthy of gas immersion ?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

The reason that cardboard can work is that, when used as a gasket, only the thin thickness of the cardboard is exposed to gasoline, oil, or whatever.  And, even then, it's only one edge.  The rest of the cardboard not exposed.  Not only that, but since the gasket is tightly compressed between two metal surfaces, fluid can not penetrate and soak into the material.

Keep in mind that the purpose of using a gasket is to offset the effects of minor machining and surface preparation inconsistency's.  Theoretically, if both surfaces are machined as perfect mirror images, no gasket would be needed.  In fact, I've read of motorcycle and car engines that have been manufactured to such close tolerances that gaskets weren't used in their assembly.  Sorry, I can't remember their names, but Ferrari comes to mind.

Rick G

I can make a set, if you want. I get $20.00  a pair including shipping.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

QuoteIn fact, I've read of motorcycle and car engines that have been manufactured to such close tolerances that gaskets weren't used in their assembly.
I'm guessing they use a gasket sealer though much like Porsche and motorcycle engine cases.

Lucky

That's common enough, look at Ford Valve covers & oil pans. no gaskets, just RTV Also, most 2 stroke cases...

Rick G

Most engines centre cases are assembled with Three bond 1103 , or some version of it. 
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

I know you fellows are not advocating using gasket sealer on the carb tops (this is not for you), but just in case someone else thinks it is a good idea, it is not  :o! I once got a set of carbs to rebuild that had been sealed with a Three Bond type used on the Yamaha engine cases  ::) and it virtually welded the tops to the bodies.  It was a huge deal trying to get them apart without destroying something on the delicate carb bodies. I have to say that was a unique experience  :(.

It is amazing how a paper gasket does so many things so well.  It doesn't hurt to put a bit of grease on the carb top gaskets to make sure they don't stick down and then you will never have to replace them.

Rick G

I coat all gaskets with Gask=A-cinch .

I once had a Triumph 650 come in the shop for a clutch replacement . The clutch cover had no gasket and was sealed with 3M weatherstrip cement. ( we called it "gorilla snot") it took the whole day To get the dammed cover off.
Rick G

Lucky

We used Gorilla Snot when i worked at Ford. That was some sticky sh!t...

Cdnlouie

That's hilarious! Yes, I remember the first time I used the "gorrilla snot" many years ago, I think I managed to glue everything but the trim  :o.  I've kept my distance from that stuff ever since!