News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

'81 Vision???

Started by RussD, October 27, 2003, 09:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussD

When I was on that Honda website (If you have no clue what I'm talking about here, please read my other post...."Honda Interceptor input wanted") one of the guys said he used to have an '81 Vision??  I told him I didn't think they made an '81, but thought I'd double check my facts with you guys. Maybe he's just confusing it with the year of another bike he owned. He agreed though it was way ahead of it's time.....said he kept having water pump issues with it, and of course the bottom of the tank rusting out.
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

RussD

Never mind........that guy just replied & thinks maybe it was an '82.......though he says he bought it new from a dealership in '85???  Must have been sitting there on the showroom for one heck of a long time!!

'82 Vision (Sold???)

h2olawyer

I've seen a few others advertised as '81s, and there have been some parts listed on ebay the same way.  My '82 was manufactured in 11/81 so if those others have '81 dates on their manufacture tags, I can understand their mistake.  Just like auto makers, bike makers want to release the next year's models early to generate excitement and demand - especially when they are releasing something new or different.  To make it really spectacular, they might release it early and designate it as a 1/2 year model like Ford did with the original 1964 1/2 Mustang.  Others have done the same thing.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

RussD

I was thinking the same things Rob, until he posted again correcting himself.

'82 Vision (Sold???)

h2olawyer

The Visions were very high priced when first introduced.  They also got an immediate bad rap for their carbueration.  Thus, Yamaha made an airbox  & carb upgrade in mid year and to retrofit the early '82s (like mine) and then changed the carbs entirely for 83.  Even made a big deal out of the carb change in 83 advertising.  But the reputation persisted and they stayed on dealer floors for several years, finally selling at fire sale prices.  I think they also ended up selling some with gummed & varnished carbs.  When I bought mine in '84 it didn't quite run right and was always difficult to start.  After the second carb clean / rebuild this summer (did the first one 5 years ago), mine runs better than it did when I bought it.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Many brands had  wherehouses  full of left over bikes , it had more to do with over production than anything else. There was talk fo loading surplus stock on ships and dumping them out in the ocean.In staed the discounted them and by 86 all were sold, including the Visions.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike