News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

THE ULTIMATE V-TWIN MOTORCYCLE

Started by coyote_killer, June 09, 2012, 11:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote_killer

XZ550R
THE ULTIMATE V-TWIN
MOTORCYCLE
It was the vision that nobody saw.

V-TWIN ENGINE: Narrow engine configuration allows abundant cornering clearance while still retaining as comfortable seating position as a touring bike which reduces likelihood of leg cramps that are common on all other bikes with as much cornering clearance.

70 degree V-TWIN design: Allows shorter wheelbase than wider angle V-Twin engines and provides straight intake path from carburetor to cylinder for increased volumetric efficiency. 

OVERSQUARE BORE/STROKE: Allows 4 valves per cylinder that are far larger than would be possible with less oversquare design which increases volumetric efficiency.  Oversquare design also has lower piston speed which allows 10,000 rpm redline to take full advantage of the large valves.

36mm DOWNDRAFT CARBURETORS:  Provides abundant opportunities to learn and understand carburetor function and basic intake tract air flow theory.

WATER COOLING: Allows higher compression ratio than is possible with air cooling and water cooling keeps the engine temperature stable which allows optimum power production over long periods.

65 HORSEPOWER: While ridiculed as weak by the ignorant, those who ride know this is plenty for the curves, especially on the street.  Plus the Vision's power is wide and versatile encouraging absurd short shifting.

SPLIT BACKBONE, DOUBLE DOWNTUBE TYPE FRAME: Has 26.2 degrees rake and 4.57 inches of trail to facilitate quick handling.  It is also quite thrilling on loose gravel roads.

TRAILING AXLE FORKS: Shortens wheelbase without compromising ergonomics as shortening the wheelbase at the frame would cause.

SUSPENSION: Provides...They ,,,,Allows...hmm ...Provides ample opportunity to become acquainted with pushing the front wheel.

TIMELESS STYLING: Even at 30 years old people still think that the Vision is a new model bike when seeing her for the first time.  The hallmark of any true classic bike is to look current in any age.

OPTIONAL BIKINI FAIRING: Provides comforting wind break for the pilot's torso while greatly enhancing styling.  The Vision looks incomplete without it and it looks much better than the 1983 model's full fairing. ( I do not include the "Shark" style bikini fairing in this because it looks stupid.)

Even with her age and her flaws there still has been no other bike built that has as much sporting capability and cornering clearance combined with such generous leg room and comfort. The Vision will one day be recognized for her unique sporting formula when motorcyclist take time to appreciate the more obscure designs of the 1980's revolution. The Vision is still the only bike for those who know the difference between exhilaration and acceleration.
A classic bike is among us waiting for recognition. 

Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

QBS

Rick G

The only thing in your disertation I can't agree with is the statement about the shark and bikini fairing. Neither does  much of a job . I've had both, but aside from not providing much protection they look incomplete. The '83 style fairing, on the other hand  provides great protection , especially in the colder months with its heater. The bike looks incomplete with out it , to my eyes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

coyote_killer

Quote from: Rick G on June 10, 2012, 02:39:24 AM
The only thing in your disertation I can't agree with is the statement about the shark and bikini fairing. Neither does  much of a job . I've had both, but aside from not providing much protection they look incomplete. The '83 style fairing, on the other hand  provides great protection , especially in the colder months with its heater. The bike looks incomplete with out it , to my eyes.

Yea, I knew that statement would draw fire strictly because it is a personal opinion as opposed to being a fact as the other points.  I included it anyway mostly because a V without a fairing looks terrible to me.  Any fairing looks better than no fairing on the V.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Re-Vision

You are right, all those other points are facts and it's nice to see someone with a good attitude. Wonder if it would be feasible to pitch in together and hire some engineering firm to solve all the flaws that Yamaha left us with.    BDC

Rick G

Your right that some fairing is better than no fairing. My first V had a plexy fairing (pics in the gallery. ) when I got it. It was better than nothing. ( I have a similar one on my VX800) , but I'm still thinking of the '83  Vision fairing on it .  I miss the fairing  but the mounting points are so different , it will be a challenge.
As I said "to my eyes"
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

George R. Young

Absent are the words 'reliable' and 'dependable'.

Also not much about ongoing manufacturer support.

QBS

George, if properly sorted, driven daily, and maintained with common sense, "reliable" and "dependable" apply. 

coyote_killer

Quote from: George R. Young on June 10, 2012, 11:09:02 PM
Absent are the words 'reliable' and 'dependable'.

Also not much about ongoing manufacturer support.

I was only addressing the key technology points of the V and I did not intend my manifesto to be a complete review.  My primary goal was to demonstrate to those who had not yet grasped why the XZ is called Vision the formula behind Yamaha's Vision.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Protonus

You should throw some of that info you wrote in the official Wiki.  I hate a lot of the garbage that's in the Wiki now. 

1982 with full '83 fairings

coyote_killer

Quote from: Protonus on June 11, 2012, 04:31:06 PM
You should throw some of that info you wrote in the official Wiki.  I hate a lot of the garbage that's in the Wiki now. 

Thanks,  I would but I have never done that before.  If you want then I would appreciate it if you would submit it for me.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750