News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Mac exhaust

Started by artbone, February 14, 2012, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

Quote from: artbone on April 10, 2012, 10:11:42 AM
Are there any alternatives to the MAC exhaust system? I'm getting tired of waiting for them to get some made. Or does anyone have one they would like to sell?

well you can do it the ghetto fab way, the way the p.o. did it on mine. they just cut the mac tailpipes of of a different bike, cut the stock tailpipes off the vision, then weld the mac pipes on in their place.....id rather wait though
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

artbone

Well, here it is 2 months since my last post and I still don't have pipes. I checked the Mac website yesterday and they don't list pipes for any Yamaha. I called and spoke to a woman who said they were working on the website and they were still planning to stock the pipes. Also that they would be in in "two or three week."

Hummmm, have I heard that before?

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

There are less and less Visions out there , that will need pipes. I'm amazed that MAC will still make them . I'm sure there either waiting for a lull in production of more popular pipes , or for enough orders to come in , to justify a short production run.

I lucked out on ,y acquisition of MAC pipes. The first set I bought from Ron Ghetti in 1999. He considered them too loud and a bit crude. I considered them an improvement over stock and affordable. He ended up buying a set of Stainless steel pipes from England ( I forget the name) which cost more than I paid for my Vision.
I crashed the bike in OR and destroyed the frame ,fairing and the MAC pipes . I salvaged one baffle assy and one head pipe. A Visionary , whom I had ridden with in MN fabricated a neat exhaust system, using only the MAC right  head pipe . He later sold the bike and offered me what was left of the MAC exhaust . Since I had the right head pipe , which was missing from his, I was the logical purchaser. I paid shipping cost for them.
I found a set on eBay in 2002, they were pretty rusty but usable. There my spares.
I guess the point of this dissertation is to put the stockers back on and keep looking. They will pop up. Or contact the fellow in MN and see if he has any pictures. Perhaps the seller on eBay has done his home work and knows the difficulty in finding aftermarket exhaust for the Vision.

I traded for a Vision racer  and put the  '83  front end on my bike ans sold most every thing else. The custom exhaust  went to Blake Stoddard. He said it was louder than hell and went like stink! ( it was very rusty , but cleaned up OK) It had some tapered glass packs on it, which did little to silence it , but ran well. I might have pics some where , if there not in the archives.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

When I googled the pipes I found several companies that still list them but, of course, they are all back ordered. Everyone I spoke to said that they had ordered them so there must still be a market. As you say, there are fewer and fewer Visions on the road but I would think, world-wide, still quite a few.
The noise won't bother me down here but could be a problem in the US. I guess I'll just have to start riding with Harley guys and no one will notice.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

A vision with MACS will drown out most Harleys!! ;D ;D ;D ;D I don't have a problem here in northern AZ.
I cool it in town (many streets have a 25 mph limit anyway) once I'm away from civilization , there's no one to hear me anyway.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Raj1988

i've got a set of Mac's that I had the front head pipe patched up and am gonna have to exhaust wrap them. apart from that they look just fine!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

Art, I have a set of MAC's you may be interested in buddy 8) PM or email me (my email address is in 'my profile'... ;) )

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

im going to offer a different opinion here. i like my macs, so does Spectre. i dont think they are louder than harleys, but it depends, you can cuise semi quiet past the officer, buy if you get on it they will blap.
ss
if the cans are in good shape you can also pack/wrap them some, that helps bring them below the "harley zone" plus the need no rejetting.

As to fit? of course they will take some tweaking. none of the macs i have on Visions fit exactly the same (the 4th has a nearly stock exhaust) but that holds tru with most non manufacturer, aftermarket parts wheather it's headers on a V-8 engine or dorr skins & quarter panels. expect to have to make them fit some.

my .02
----Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Art , lothepou has also just offered a set of MACS . I  told you they would show up!!
Rick G

YellowJacket!

I bought my NOS Macs from a reseller that I think was located in Florida.  At the time he still had a few in stock.  Also, about a year ago I talked to Kevin or Greg at MAC and asked about getting a replacement can for my original macs.  At the time he didn't have any but they do limited runs of the from time to time and would call me when they ran another.  A couple months later he called me back but I had already bought the new set.  Of course, ther is ebay too and I have seen NOS macs pop up there from time to time.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)