News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Replacing 83 Tachometer

Started by Re-Vision, February 14, 2012, 01:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Am replacing an 83 tachometer with a broken needle with a good one that has some red color fading. Any suggestions on how to revive the color intensity?  This will leave me with an extra 83 speedometer, if I put it in an 82 instrument cluster will I also have to swap out cable and sender?  Any thoughts on the possibility of gluing a new needle on the broken 83 tachometer.      BDC

Lucky

The swap is nearly straightforward.  you'll only need a amall piece of electrical tape to hide the missing corner from the 83's fuel guage.  you'll have to swap connectors as well i think.  i released the pins & installed them in the proper spots.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

I'm only concerned with swapping of the speedometer (83 into an 82 instrument cluster), the tach is fine.     BDC

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on February 14, 2012, 01:41:43 PM
Am replacing an 83 tachometer with a broken needle with a good one that has some red color fading. Any suggestions on how to revive the color intensity? 

I use a permanent RED marker pen...8) If you have a fine set and a steady hand, you can redo all the RED areas on the clocks as well as the needles... works just dandyO ;)

I'm pretty sure that the speedos are a straight swap... :-\

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I have replaced  speedo needles , with one from a another dead speedo . Just glue it on top of the stump of the broken needle, using plyobond. Also as tiger states a permanent marker brightenens them up.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Yeah, Duh me... no connector.

Testor model paint "Signal Orange" looks great on the needle.  I've brightened up my guages with sharpie as well, but sharpie will sun fade, especially with the glass in front of it. i'll try to cover the guages with a cloth or gloves, etc in the sun when i can.

vadasz1

Nothing to replace when swapping speedos.  I have done it and have found that the 83 US speedo I am using currently is much more accurate compared to my 82 Canadian speedo.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

All the 85mph speedos are crap. Mine indicated 85 at 105!!!
I'm using a Canadian 83 speedo . I have a chart on the tank bag that translates KPH  to MPH.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

AdvRich

Quote from: Rick G on February 19, 2012, 08:48:49 PM
All the 85mph speedos are crap. Mine indicated 85 at 105!!!
:laugh:

Quote from: Rick G on February 19, 2012, 08:48:49 PM
I'm using a Canadian 83 speedo . I have a chart on the tank bag that translates KPH  to MPH.
So when your going 50 mph your speedo is saying aboat 80.  :D

Rikugun

I see what you did there with the Canadian accent - and I like it!  :)

Rick G - that is funny   :D  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

It was reading 55 seconds at an indicated 60 mph , for the measured mile . The error got worse the faster it went.It should have taken 60 seconds for the mile.

I suppose I may have a Canadian way of  expressing my self , but having lived in the States for  52 years I have little of my Canadian accent left. but give a week back home and I sound like I never left (almost)
Rick G

Lucky

I hear it when we talk on the phone :)

AdvRich

Well it turns out the joke is on me, cause I was spoofing on the Canadian speedo. I didn't know you were Canadian and now I notice the waving Maple leave...  :P D'oh.   :laugh: All good fun.

I hear the Canadian accent a few times a week with a radio station I listen to up here as well tuning into Vinyl Cafe with Stuart McLean so I'm sure that was part of the genesis for the pun. I too pick up some of my Mairlen (Maryland) accent when I'm down visiting family.

Glad the surgery went well for you and wish you a speedy recovery in both mph and kph on your way back to the saddle.

Rich

Rikugun

I thought Rich's comment was aboat Rick G's accent but it turns out it was aboat the speedo as he didn't know Rick G was Canadian so my comment aboat the accent was mistakenly attributed by Rick G as being aboat him rather than Rich's spoofing of his birthplace..... ???

Pretty gosh darn confusing, eh!?  :D  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

:laugh: :laugh:... my head is hurting trying to follow this. I think my speedo needle just fell off. :D

Rick G

I agree with you, aye! When I'm back home aye,I pick up the howse and aboot and owt  in short order . As well as working in the graage aye.
I have a cousin in Traunta too! aye!
Rick G

Rikugun

jasonm.

Some have found there '82 speedos to be spot on or reading WAY lower than actual. Where the 83 speedo just reads about 3mph  LOW @ indicated 70mph..yes lower than actual. I have tried a bunch of '83 speedos..all read 3-5 low @70mph indicated. But better than many 82's. Now I use the digital bike speedo...once calibrated, dead nuts accurate. Just replace the battery every 3 years.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

fret not

Jason, what digital bike speedo?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

All the 82 speedos I've had occasion to observe were way off . It seems the ones used in metric countries got a better version. The US '83 unit is really a metric speedo with a differant face. Just an observation.
Rick G