News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

EFI on the Vision

Started by Burt_066, March 03, 2012, 01:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt_066

I've been looking into converting my vision to EFI. I don't know if I'm going to do it yet. I'd like to be sure I can do it and that it's an improvement over the carbs before I decide. I found this Microsquirt device that will control anything from a single cylinder motor through a V8. From what I've seen this is what I need to do the conversion.

1.) A Microsquirt device.
2.) A set of throttle bodies that will fit the Vision without a lot of alterations. If I can get them with the MAP sensor and throttle position sensor that will save a lot of searching.
3.) An airbox that will fit the throttle bodies. I may be able to change the Visions air box to fit
4.) An electric fuel pump.
5.) An O2 sensor for the exhaust.
I think that it will work best if I can get everything from the same motorcycle. Fortunately these things are not that expensive on eBay.
This is a link I found done by a guy that converted his ZX900.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/95445-converting-1985-zx-900-efi.html
And this is a youtube video of him driving it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoOFPT-aAck
This is the manufactures intro page.
http://www.microsquirt.info/
The first step would be to find throttle bodies that fit the Visions intake manifolds.
Any thoughts?
         Bobby...

Lucky

A couple of thoughts:

MAP: you could use a ford MAP sensor, since it's a remote, you just need a piece of vacuume line, the pigtail & a place to mount it.

O2 sensor: get a bung welded into the exhaust. most 2 wire sensors should work

fuel pump: any modern FI sportbike pump.

On the throttle body:  you really already have one, (stock carbs) all you have to do is either remove the central venturi & fab up a holder for the injector in it's place, or remove it altogether & use the YICS ports in the head for the injectors..

for the TP sensor, fab a bracket on to one of the throttle shafts.  doesn't sound all that difficult...

Blake, a member here, installed a megasquirt on an old caddy, & had plans to do the Vision, he even bought a rather expensive MAF meter.  he's in, I think, Blacksburg Va. (is or was going to virgina Tech)  look him up on the members tab, or i might have his email..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

Try Blake at: BStoddar@vt.edu  Don't know if this addy is still current...

Rikugun

Burt, did you see this article? http://hildstrom.com/projects/vision/index.html This guy mounted MSD injectors in the Vision's gutted Mikuni's and a TPI on the end of a throttle shaft to make his own TBI system. He ran into some problems and didn't finish the project but interesting reading just the same with pics and fuel consumption charts.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jasonm.

one guy did just what you are saying on an OLD VMax.  But you need temperature sensor for engine and possibly air,+ MAF(mass air flow) sensor, possibly barometric(density) sensotr, Crankshaft position sensor. In effect ...Good EFI  set up is NOT simple.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

Actually, early EFI systems were very simple, but technology in modern systems are much more involved.  you can hook up anything to anything, the tough part i think,  is going to be the computer setup

fret not

This is a subject I have been considering for some time and the fact that there are several fairly late model V twins on the market with EFI systems that can be harvested from salvage shops makes it that much easier.  The "system" has been designed already, but now the hitch is to apply it to the XZ and fine tune it.  Just having EFI on a bike doesn't mean it is a benefit, it must be adjusted to be responsive and efficient. 

My first thought was to use a set up from a '03 or later Suzuki SV650, which is much the same configuration as the XZ with down draft intake, though the brackets that hold the throttle bodies would need some "adjustment" to fit them on the XZ.  The Suzuki system uses a cam position sensor, so would have to adapt some such to the V.

Whatever you need in the range of sensors will be determined by the computer you use.  For this reason I think transplanting a whole system from another bike is the most likely to work well. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

jasonm.

suzuki is 90 degree v-twin. so the intakes would need some rework. The best systems have , MAF , throttle, air temp , coolant(or oil temp), rpm, cam position sensors , are just the beginning. don't forget the hi-pressure fuel pump. Do a search to find Vmax 1200 conversion to EFI. Yes, at times,  I wish my Vision was EFI.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

supervision

That does, I'm sold on the fuel injection conversion. Just looked at al the vmax site.  I see now why CV carbs with no slides, and an injector hung in the slide bore is a natural conversion, simple!!!!
" border="0

QBS

I'm thinking that a MAF would eliminate the need for the air cleaner flapper system.  Anybody agree/disagree?

supervision

That would be nice to not have, don't know how much adjusting the maps allow, good question tho.
" border="0

treedragon

There is also a thought I've heard that two EFI units from one of the modern scooters could be used........

There is always a way

supervision

" border="0

treedragon

Many of the smaller modern scooters come with fuel injection these days, I have seen them through the shop. Even the venerable Honda 50 now comes with it according to one article I read. Piaggio comes to mind also, I seem to recall that it was a 250.......... We have speculated at some length with my bike being offered up as the sacrificial lamb by others of course...........  ;D

There is always a way

Rikugun

Honda's Silverwing scooter is a 582cc DOHC 4 valve head parallel twin with FI.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kiwibum

Burt from all the reading I've done so far on EFI on the XZ the latest V3 of the microsquirt is the way to go for the Yamaha Vision. The biggest problem with V-twins is they are an odd fire engine, meaning their cylinders fire at odd timing and can't be triggered off one point for both cylinders. V3 Mircosquirt solves all this in one system for ignition and fuel as it's "new options allow independent dual outputs for odd fires engines". The problem with using an OEM management system is being able to set the maps up and tune the computer, the microsquirt is more expensive to start with but I reckon setting it up and getting it running correctly will be easier.

I posted about looking at using the megasquirt 4 years ago but life got in the way and bikes have been in storage since I got back from working overseas. I'm kind of pleased it was put off in a way because I could see lots of problems with the XZ and EFI due to the odd fire issues. The MicroSquirt developers where working on solving these problems for V-twin enthusiasts and it's nice to know the waiting has led to an easier solution with the latest version now available.

It's still on my list of things to try out on my bike, hope to have them out of storage and in the garage to work on next year. One of the reasons I'm back on ROV, I was looking to see if anyone had converted to EFI yet:-). I know a couple have been seriously thinking about it.

The Prophet of Doom

Hi Steve,nice to see you back.  Are you back in Wellywood now?
As far as I know there is not yet anyone who has done a MS implementation on the XZ.  It's on my list too, but about 10 things down.

kiwibum

Quote from: roro on October 21, 2012, 01:03:31 AM
Hi Steve,nice to see you back.  Are you back in Wellywood now?
Hi Rohan
I'm happy in Rotorua now, have updated my location thanks for reminding me. Have settled down and should be here for a couple more years. Need to be here a while to enjoy all the time that's been put into renovating the house and get some time on the bike:-).

I'm in the USA at Christmas and very tempted to buy the MS V3 while I'm there to encourage me to get working on it.

fret not

I have been looking at Suzuki SV650 throttle bodies as a near fit without too much fiddling.  There are some fairly good photos on eBay so you can get an idea how they might be adapted.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kiwibum

Quote from: fret nut on October 21, 2012, 11:52:54 PM
I have been looking at Suzuki SV650 throttle bodies as a near fit without too much fiddling.  There are some fairly good photos on eBay so you can get an idea how they might be adapted.
Interesting I'll take a look. I know some have mentioned the R6 or maybe it was the R1 carbs.