Valve adjustment

Started by stuckinlodi, March 04, 2012, 12:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuckinlodi

Ok this may sound stupid,,,How do you change out the shims to adjust the valves.  I cant imagine that I have to measure the clearance and then remove the cams,,,, Whats this adjuster tool and how is it used.
I cant be the only one wondering.

Rick G

There is a special tool that allows you to remove the shims for valve adjustment /
Many bikes, including the Kwaker KLR650 require the removal of the cams to change the shims.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

stuckinlodi

Right, But what I dont get is how is this tool used?  Seems it wraps around the cam, And pops the shim out? I really need a clear picture if this before I  buy or borrow a tool.  Otherwise its old school and I pull the cams. Which seems like a lot of work if it can be avoided

The Prophet of Doom

There are clear instructions and pictures in the Haynes manual

fret not

The tool slips onto the hex section of the cam and as the cam is rotated it depresses the buckets the shims ride in, which gives some clearance between the shims and cam lobes.  Then you have to pick the shims out of the bucket to change them.  MEASURE THE CLEARANCE AND WRITE IT DOWN FOR EACH VALVE - BEFORE - REMOVING ANY SHIMS.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

stuckinlodi

Thanks for the info,  looks like I gotta get one of them Haynes manuals and a adjuster tool.

I've got the valve clearance specs. I'm pulling valve covers tomorrow one of my bikes
Is only running on the front cylinder, I've got gas and spark to the rear jug
And checked compression today it's 110 on a cold engine Seems like the only other problem could be
Something going on with the valves,  exhaust valves not opening?
I don't know this should interesting to find the problem.

Rikugun

It seems unlikely the motor could be spun over to check compression if the exhaust valves weren't opening? Unless the cam lobes were missing or something equally wacked!?  :o

Did you try switching the coils front to back to see if the that reversed the dead cylinder? Just because the plug sparks outside the cylinder is no guarantee it will spark under compression. Maybe a different plug too if you try this test.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

stuckinlodi

Have not tried the switheroo on the coils good thought, I will try that. Anything to not have to mess with the valves.  I dont think its a rod bearing  it has 120 psi when cold and doesnt make any weird noises when its running just runs like a 250 rather then the 550 that it is.I can pull the spark plug wire on the rear while its idling and it doesnt change the rpm,  This is how I used to test V-8s to find a weak cylinder. Im going to swap the coils today and see,  Maybe there is a weak coil but really IT has great crisp spark out of the wire and plug.  I really dont want to have a valve problem. We shall see.

Re-Vision

Years ago I took my bike in for a tune-up at a Ft. Worth Yamaha Dealer and when I got it back it wouldn't go faster than 55mph. Finally got the dealer I bought it from to correct the timing for the rear cylinder as it was firing both cylinders on the same revolution. If you don't know the history of your bike, you might consider timing problems.     BDC

stuckinlodi

Sweet this is the type of ideas I need.  Ive got a busy day checking this stuff out thanks guys.

Rikugun

It seems to have adequate compression and if spark turns out to be ok I'd consider carbs again. You mentioned at idle it runs on one cylinder, how about when you rev it up? Does the other want to kick in? Did you try test running it with the YICS disconnected and the vacuum ports plugged?

What is the history of the bike? Has it sat for long or was it running fine one day then on one cylinder the next?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

Quote from: stuckinlodi on March 04, 2012, 12:05:59 PM
just runs like a 250 rather then the 550 that it is.I can pull the spark plug wire on the rear while its idling and it doesn't change the rpm,

I've had the same problem in the past...but have never had a coil go sour on a Vision... :-\ If you run the revs up around 4,000/4,500 rpm does the rear cylinder cut in/splutter and try and cut in??

Two easy things to do...

1 - Change the spark plugs out for a new set... ;)

2 - If you have a good spare TCI, swap it out and fire her up... :o

I'm betting on one of these two.... :police:

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
:P You may need new plug wires/caps if you still have the oem ones installed!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

stuckinlodi

Thanks guys,  It was the spark plug wire,,,,, Sparked fine with the screw driver test and when I held the plug to ground.  When I installed in the cylinder it was grounding out on the frame.  Changed out the wire and this thing rips.  It was last registered in "86"  shows 12000 on the clock. I really want to make it a rider rather then a parts bike,,,,,Ive just recently gotten into these bikes and can say they are super impressive,  Really nice handling and good power.

Rikugun

Great news, glad to hear she's running well!  ;D

Lucky

Quote from: Re-Vision on March 04, 2012, 12:21:12 PM
Finally got the dealer I bought it from to correct the timing for the rear cylinder as it was firing both cylinders on the same revolution.

???  more details?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

Don't have any.    BDC

Rikugun

Re-Vision - that's a good price. Weren't they going for $60 or more from some sellers?

QBS

RV, how did the dealer adjust the timing?  I'm curious because the ignition pick up coils that tell the TCI box when to do its' thing are fixed to the engine with screws and are therefore not adjustable.  BTW, V plugs are supposed to fire together.  It's called a "wasted spark" system.