Accelerator Pump on 83 carbs

Started by Oz Vision, April 07, 2012, 04:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz Vision

My recent 82 bike purchase has been fitted with 83 carbs and bike has apparently been sitting for 15 years. I have been cleaning the carbs but can't seem to get fuel from the bowl into the accelerator pump chamber, so nothing coming thru the nozzles. Passages are clear and diaphram appears good. Can someone tell me about the brass ball inside the bowl, is it supposed to move?
Also the stop screw on the pump lever is set way out and is doing nothing, can't figure out what it should be doing.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

supervision

I have some, and I'm not sure if fuel flows through properly, because I never got past the low speed needle being frozen in one carb.  I have seen what looks like a pressed plug on top of the ports and drilled passages.  There is a small hole right next to that in the floor of the bowl, my thinking would be that fuel needs to come in from that hole and then leave when the diaphram is moved. Usually their is a ball, that needs to be free, for it to take its next drink.  Have you noticed how strange the low speed needle mechanism is???
" border="0

Lucky

Oz, spray some Pblaster or carb cleaner in the hole on the diaphram side of the casting & start gently moving the ball up against spring pressure with a pick.  if you can get it freed up & clean you should be good to go.  i've gotten a few unstuck that way.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

pullshocks

This thread is bringing back painful memories. It took hours to get the ball freed up. I searched the forum back to day 1 and the issue has come up several times.  Luck summarizes it pretty well, but I don't think I ever tried PB blaster, just carb cleaner with the little straw sharpened up to go in the fuel passage.    PBB might have been better.  Don't overdo it with the compressed air, though.

Oz Vision

Thanks guys, no luck so far.
The ball is sitting flush with the top of the tube, so I assume it should move downwards?
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

supervision

Is drilling the plug, and then repluging the hole, a possible fix? 
" border="0

Lucky

Quote from: Oz Vision on April 08, 2012, 09:37:48 PM
The ball is sitting flush with the top of the tube,

you can't see what you describe...  you may be refering to the front airhorn. oneof the air bleeds (on updated carbs) has a B-B pressed into it, & itnstead get's it's air from a flat black & grey disc filter bolted to the side of the carb, & attached to the front of the carb with a hose.

the accelerator pump check ball is only partially visible when you remove the diaphram & sits in the short well at the bottom of the bowl. there is a flat brass plug, under which sits a spring & the ball check.

it is possable to drill the plug & insert a screw & pull the plug out. not easy to do, but possable, i have done this. the hole in the plug was resealed with solder & tapped back into place. a repair that has held for ...12 years? now.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Oz Vision

Aaaah, now I get it - just terribly slow!  The 'plug' on this carb is actually a ball bearing, which is what I was describing. I drilled out the flat plug on another spare 82 carb that I have and discovered the check ball and spring underneath it. Now that I know which ball needs freeing up I will get to work. Cheers.
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

supervision

OK good, on YA MATE, have you noticed those, right angle, low speed, adjuster screws?  I had to, drill plug, to access, then remove, one of the spring loaded, tapered needles, was frozen in it's bore.  It's such a flimsy piece of shit, I don't know if I can ever get it back in place, and working freely.   I would like to try a set of these carbs, because they are slightly bigger, maybe a RCH, faster, but I am starting to think, Rick G, is right when he say's, these are fixing a problem, that doesn't exist !
" border="0

Oz Vision

Some progress, check ball is now free but still cant pump fuel to the nozzles. Do the pump diaphrams become ineffective through being less flexible than they once were? I can't see any holes in it.

Yes Supervision, I now see what you are referring to, what a nightmare. I have a complete spare set of 82's, I think I will put them on instead.
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

pullshocks

did you pull the nozzles out and  clean them?  there is also a check valve thingee under each nozzle that could be frozen up