News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carb solution

Started by jason, October 20, 2003, 05:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason

Has anyone tried FZ750 or FZ1000 carbs on the XZ?

30 degree barrel angle on the FZ, should keep the float bowls level on the Vision. CV carbs should take care of the vision stumble (Seems to me the '83 air box flapper is just a cheap arse way of making those dodgy down draughts work like a CV)

So, what do you think?

Ron_McCoy

I've been thinking of this for some time but haven't acquired any carbs yet.Actually the angle of the cylinders shouldn't matter as long as they are downdraft carburetors so carbs off of just about any later model sportbike before fuel injection should work.Also Venture or V-Max carbs would be likely choices.CV carbs were designed to give good throttle response with large carbs which is just the problem Visions have.

Rick G

Could be it can be worked out, but it aint gonna be easy! The reason for the carbs was to get maximum power , the reason ,as you said, for CV carbs is good throttle response. I think you will get better throttle response , with the CV carbs, at the expense of performance The reason CV give such nice response is the it impossable to open them up very fast, they slow everything down.
I don't have a problem with vision carbs 1/ they don't have any 100. dollar diaphrams in them  2/ there easy to rebuild and adjust .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

On that note..im slowly trying to use a couple of Mikuni round slide carbs on the vision with the help of Rick G..   I'm shooting for before the start of the next riding season..since its starting to get pretty cold around here..when i do get a good day im definately riding..  basically the part holding me up is an expensive AFR meter..and getting all the aluminum together (for the intake) so hopefully i can find someone to weld it up for me... i had good results with roundslides on a xs650 (38mm on 325cc cylinders)..  real nice crisp throttle response.... only problem with this is trying to get the carbs nice and close to the cylinder head..   i think i can pull it off though..

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

swellman

I bought a complete set of Venture carbs off ebay for $50, with the idea of improving the performance of the Vision.  The Venture (and VMax) are basically double Visions, so the carbs don't require too much effort to be made to fit.

GAJim

French the wrench?  In Arizona has put some type of FZ carbs on the vision,  I was looking to do this before I got a set of 83 carbs.  French if you are still out there drop me an e-mail and give these guys any help you can offer.

Ron_McCoy

I don't think those FZ's,GXSR's,ZX's,CBR's,etc.have too
much of a power problem with their CV carbs.Once the throttle is wide open it doesn't matter what kind of carburetor it is.Its part throttle and response that make the difference.I have my Vision carbs working very well,but
can envision the day when no parts are available for them.