News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Gas Tank with Internal Rust

Started by Re-Vision, April 10, 2012, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Know there is a ton of stuff listed in the archives concerning rust removal from a tank. What is the latest consensus on the best way to clean and coat the inside of a moderately rusty tank? I have a Caswell Gas Tank Sealer kit that I've had for a year or two but sometimes hear bad things about Caswell. I was recently rear-ended in my Kia and the shop owner says he will show me how to remove dents and paint motorcycle gas tanks. I rediscovered a tank yesterday without any dents (has internal rust) that I didn't know I had so I figured this would be an easy place to start. Most every other tank I have has fairing dents as well as rust. Appreciate all input.     BDC

Lucky

If it's dry inside that's a good start, shake a chain around inside and i use a flattened paper towel tube on the end of a vacume crevis tool to suck out the bigger bits of junk & rust
then i degrease, then clean with something caustic (muriatic acid) at that point you should easily be able to find all the holes..
then i seal the tank (soldering with a topcoat of fiberglass resin lately) then a swish inside with ospho to treat the metal.  dry well & seal (POR-15 or Caswells)

use all the safety precautions with the chemicals & protective gear, esp the muriatic acid...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

rm97

Re-Vision

Rory, can you tell me what is put in the tank,is it a liquid that comes with the kit?    BDC

rm97

After the electrolysis the guy in the video uses POR15 which is a super tough paint. I lined a tank with it which has held gas for about 6 months now and is holding up great. If you have any further questions on the process I strongly suggest you message the person who made the video, he could probably write a book about that paint.

EDIT: Yes it is a liquid paint that comes in a very small paint can. Here is the link to the kit,
http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-KIT/productinfo/SSKB/

If you do use it be careful with it, it is very difficult to get off.

Re-Vision

I was inquiring as to what liquid was used during the electrolysis process not the coating process.     BDC

Lucky

Rm, we've been reccomending POR-15 on this forum for the last 12 years...   :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

rm97

LOL, great minds think alike? ;D

Re-vision,

He just uses water with either washing soda or baking soda. Google "removing rust with electrolysis" and you will be given loads of information and safety precautions.

Re-Vision

supervision

If it was me, I would put in some gravel and shake the hell out of it. This is often times enough, to make it perfectly usable.  It's easy to tell, if it is going to satisfactory, or not.  I have never coated a tank yet, although I recently bought some Caswell, because I need to coat some Spanish, fiberglass tanks.  The gas of today can eat through the old resin.  
" border="0

Re-Vision

Has anyone had a tank acid-dipped at a radiator shop?      BDC

supervision

That reminds me, muratic acid, blended in water, with the gravel really works good. Make sure you stay up wind of the fumes, and dilute quickly when finished. 
" border="0

Rick G

I don't use gravel , I use old nuts and bolts . I've had problems getting all the gravel out , but nuts and bolts are easy , any that won't pour out can be retrieved with a magnet.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

Probably easier to get out, stone hones,,  hey Rick ,you remember when guys would put cow magnets on their, car/truck, steel fuel line, saying it improved fuel economy??
" border="0

QBS

Sharp edged window sash chain has worked well for me.  Tie a strong string on it, shake very well, declare victory.

Rick G

QBS , that sounds like an excellent idea.

Super , I remember putting them in the tank and  along the  fuel line . Seems like pipe dream to me. :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

I read an article from a guy who restored old bikes. If it leaked, he used POR15. If not, he employed a multi- step system starting with an acetone rinse to remove "varnishy gunk"  :P Next, 1/4" nuts and muriatic acid to remove the heavy scale - lots of agitation/rotation for 10-15 minutes. After draining and rinsing with water came the phosphoric acid. Not as aggressive but the heavy work had been done by the muriatic. He rotates it a bit then lets it sit for 1/2 hour and repeats for 2 hours or so.

After rinsing thoroughly and draining completely he sticks a hair dryer nozzle in the filler opening and dries it for 2 hours with some rotation along the way to get any trapped water out. The phosphoric acid would be a waste of time by itself on heavy rust but without this step a haze of rust will develop during the drying process. It's main purpose is to leave a rust resistant iron phosphate coating on the steel.

He mentions trying the battery charger and steel rod method but felt it didn't reach the top surfaces. He also mentions wanting to try caustic agents (ie sodium hydroxide) in lieu of acids. He heard good things from a friend who does similar work as to it's efficacy and it doesn't eat the steel like acids. He promised a followup report but I never found one.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

83VisionAdventureBike

My tank was super rusty when I got it. I used Por-15 Gas Tank Restoration Kit and it was awesome! It comes with a product to dissolve the rust in the tank and then another product that preps the tank for the sealant. It is a little time consuming, but the end result is great and if it is done correctly, you'll never have to do it again.

http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/CTRK/
An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

67GTO

I concur, I used the POR15 kit on three different motorcycle tanks with excellent results.

But please note: you must follow the directions completely, no shortcuts!

Dan
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Hartless

Quote from: Re-Vision on April 11, 2012, 04:24:46 PM
Has anyone had a tank acid-dipped at a radiator shop?      BDC
for about two months I was constantly searching for a place that would dip my tank. Apparently according to regulations they are now not allowed to do any acid dipping. Not sure if that's an Oregon thing or what, but I could not even find a crackhead shop that would do it for me. The only thing I could find was a place that would burn it for me..... I wasn't too interested in that.
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"